• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Potassium as a sleep aid?

fugme

Bluelighter
Has anyone tried this?

I know potassium helps to reduce blood pressure and can be scripted by a doctor for this purpose. Considering clonidine can be prescribed as sleep-aid, would potassium be also good?

Now i know that potassium pills/tablets should not be eaten on an empty stomach as they can damage intestinal mucosa. Is it possible to instead eat a meal consisting of wheat bran, banana and milk - reaching 1500-2000mg of potassium? Or would it be released into the blood too slowly to have an acute effect?

As a supplement i have noticed taking 100% of daily magnesium makes me tired, so that would be a good addition to potassium.

What are your thoughts on this?

I’m pretty sensitive to most things I put in my body, vitamins and minerals no exception.

Zinc I’ve found to be the best sleep aid of them all. I can’t take it unless before bed for that reason, even the next day I can be groggy depending how much I take.

Magnesium is a strange one that can be stimulating sometimes or sedating others. Overall I find it sedating enough to take before bed instead of earlier.

Not sure on potassium as I’ve never taken it in supplement form, but things which contain it do seem to promote sleep like bananas.

-GC

If potassium was a sleep inducer it would be known and documented by now.

Hyperkalemia ([voice of ChubbyEmu:] hyper=excess kal=potassium emia=in blood) can mess with heart rhythm, after all potassium chloride IV is the final pert of a lethal injection.

things which contain it do seem to promote sleep like bananas.
bananas promote sleep? I have them for breakfast sometimes and they never make me sleepy...

Well it's not inherently sleep inducing, but the drop of blood pressure should make you tired and sleepy? I never knew zinc can be used in such way! I'll make sure to order some. How much do you take for sleep?

I don't think you should use potassium like this.

Potassium doesn't have much if any sleep inducing properties by itself anyway.

What it does do is its a critical part of the bodies electrolytes. Too much potassium will stop a person's heart (its actually used in lethal injections for this purpose).

Some potassium is necessary, but I wouldn't recommend taking it as a supplement for this purpose.