• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos post Benzo withdrawal use : short half life or long ?

lunchbox333

Bluelighter
I'm about 2 months fresh from a very mild to moderate klonopin withdrawal from about 4-6 months of use with a proper taper where I finally stopped at 0.5

I don't have much of a history with benzos besides this , was prescribed Xanax for a year or so about 3 or 4 years back but didn't experience any significant withdrawals upon cessation. didn't touch them once in the time between then, and this more recent duration I noticed even after a month or two of daily use I still wasn't physically dependent, only after about 3 months did I start experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

my question is, I am considering using a Benzo one time soon for therapeutic reasons (1~1.5 mg clonazepam roughly) I have clonazepam, temazepam, and lorazepam at my disposal.. in the light of HR, I am wondering which half life would be of greater efficency to avoid any chances of precipitating a kindling or rebound. theoretically speaking ( or experientially) would a moderate length Benzo like lorazepam or temazepam be better for me because it has less time on the receptors? or would a long half life be better because of the gradual drop as opposed to drastic drop in cmax levels of a shorter acting benzo?. I understand the basic protocol for tapering someone off is to switch to long half life benzos, and one might assume same rules apply but I think this situation might be slightly different and there may be some other factors at play, in particular duration of time on the receptors.

any input is welcome , thanks

T1/2 is overrated; lorazepam lingers in the CNS loner than Valium, which like Clonazepam, has a mean t1/2 of ~30-40 hours, vs maybe 10-15 for Ativan/lorazepam

Go with lorazepam or Clonazepam, for sure - What is the reason? Because that plays a part. A single dose of neither will hurt you, and the.5-2mg(well 1-1.5) of Clonazepam you mentioned seems spot on. It lasts longer, though with acute dosing, both shall wear off gradually, after a delayed peak - so, dealers choice, can't make an exact recommendation w/out some detail, though again, lorazepam or Clonazepam, certainly not temazepam (unless this is something strictly hypnotic?) as it is intermediate acting, yet a bit less predictable, and less effective as an anti-panic or anticonvulsant compared to lorazepam and clono, practically gold standards

Post back if want and luck, hopefully others post input (productively) and things work well

T1/2 is overrated; lorazepam lingers in the CNS loner than Valium, which like Clonazepam, has a mean t1/2 of ~30-40 hours, vs maybe 10-15 for Ativan/lorazepam

Go with lorazepam or Clonazepam, for sure - What is the reason? Because that plays a part. A single dose of neither will hurt you, and the.5-2mg(well 1-1.5) of Clonazepam you mentioned seems spot on. It lasts longer, though with acute dosing, both shall wear off gradually, after a delayed peak - so, dealers choice, can't make an exact recommendation w/out some detail, though again, lorazepam or Clonazepam, certainly not temazepam (unless this is something strictly hypnotic?) as it is intermediate acting, yet a bit less predictable, and less effective as an anti-panic or anticonvulsant compared to lorazepam and clono, practically gold standards

Post back if want and luck, hopefully others post input (productively) and things work well

okay so let me see if I understand this correctly, I know half life isn't correlated with duration of chemicals effect, (for example: phenibut). so with valium I know that although its half life is quite long the effect is only 4-5 hours of full agonist receptor time before it redistributes throughout the body right ?

so clonazepam and lorazepam would still have roughly the same hang time on receptors as it is?

do you consider lorazepam a long acting with clonazepam and temazepam the only intermediate out of the 3 ?

what kind of factors should I take into consideration between choosing lorazepam and clonazepam then if not half time?, it seems as there isn't much difference from what you're saying in context of plateau and effect ?

the reason I would like to use some is I'm on the tail end of a gabapentin taper, I'm down to 400 mg at night and struggling to get through the day for the most part, I want to use it one day as a replacement to help myself space out gbp dosing and get a little relief as well . it could go either way because the classic benzos are great for anxiety which is particularly rough in these times, and especially clonazepam for the muscles would be nice, but I could also greatly use the hypnotic temazepam. could go either way I suppose, will lean towards whichever side is more HR promoting lol .
would Ativan be better because of its almost similar duration of action as clonazepam yet much shorter elimination time? or the clonazepam being slightly longer of a drop off prove valuable ?

thank you for your input it has been very helpful so far :) :) :) :) great community on here

Last edited:
Have you considered any alternatives to benzos? One off dose will most likely not hurt you, but the CNS kindling effect with sedative hypnotic drugs such as benzos is very real, and people can experience progressively worse and worse withdrawals, even with tapering. For Gabapentin taper, have you tried any herbal alternatives to benzos such as valerian root, passion flower, skullcap, lemon balm, ashwagandha, chamomile, etc.

Gabapentin is hard to quit. May make sense to slow down the taper, so it is tolerable. I know of a few people who had tapered Gabap with a scale and very slowly. Just saying.

Definiitely a short acting benzo. If you want to minimise a drastic drop in CNS levels, space the dose out over the period of 2 hours or so. However, you'd be much better off using a non-benzo anxiolytic. Etifoxine is a GABA A drug that doesn't have any issues with tolerance or withdrawal. Works pretty well for me.

Have you considered any alternatives to benzos? One off dose will most likely not hurt you, but the CNS kindling effect with sedative hypnotic drugs such as benzos is very real, and people can experience progressively worse and worse withdrawals, even with tapering. For Gabapentin taper, have you tried any herbal alternatives to benzos such as valerian root, passion flower, skullcap, lemon balm, ashwagandha, chamomile, etc.

Gabapentin is hard to quit. May make sense to slow down the taper, so it is tolerable. I know of a few people who had tapered Gabap with a scale and very slowly. Just saying.

so far I have worked with valerian, Passion flower, and L-theanine as well as large supplementations of magnesium. and yes in many ways gabapentin has been more relentless and stressful than even Benzo withdrawals for me, but the strange thing is the lower and lower in dose I get the better I seem to feel. as I was mentioning in another thread, once I made the drop from 900-1200mg gbp at night to 600 mg, I noticed a very immediate and drastic improvement in sleep, like 3 extra hours each night, waking up at 9 instead of 6. from there I went to 400 and still feel relatively okay, panic wise and physical wise the withdrawals have gotten much less severe even from the 600 mark (which is still confusing to me this correlation) but I am still ending up without sleep, maybe a couple hours last night. as I wind down to these last little dosages I want to start spreading out days between to allow some leway in tolerance, perhaps making the dose I'm taking now more effective. bioavailability is straight trash bags with these lol :)

^ Yes, you seem to have a good grasp of things

Don't get me wrong, though, Clonazepam *consistently* lasts a. It longer than lorazepam overall, and because of its slower elimination and low lipophillicity (doesn't redistribute as much, though is 80-90% protein bound) it builds up with chronic dosing, and eventually becomes more effective* and can last even longer - Lorazepam can't build up, not to any significant extent - so Clonazepam is a "long" lasting " benzodiazepine, especially with chronic use, where it is also say double or triple the potency of lorazepam.(Acute dosing may be more 1.5-2x, though technically it's 1mg clono = 2mg lorazepam Acute, 1mg =3-4 Chronic, though those are loose at best, and based off of specific metrics, attempted to apply broadly, if that makes any sense) Even a single dose (of clonazepam) generally lasts 8-12 hours, and someone who takes, say, 1mg 2-3 x per day, a single 1.5-2mg dose of Clonazepam would hold them 12-24 hours in all likelihood (after wd has started)

Lorazepam is intermediate acting, though really, with a *SINGLE * dose, there isn't a big difference, in most cases, except potency, and subunit selectively and other stuff unimportant ;)
(Although, Clonazepam is better muscle relaxer, as you mentioned)

If this is to help hold off gabapentin, single doses of Clonazepam would probably be my recommendation , if I had too pick; both are similar enough, yet have distinct pros and cons

Personally just think Clonazepam would work better, ALTHOUGH, if it's more than once per day, or not on a schedule of any real solidity, then lorazepam (Ativan) is typically easier to dose PRN(as needed) and is, relaxing? It would certainly do its job, I would think

I think temazepam is decent, those for these purposes, I just don't know... It would be great at night, and is certainly an intermediate acting, medium duration, the only one with a fast-intermediate onset, and strong hypnotic. It simply does not hold as long, and even a brunch dose once daily seems impractical

Bottom line: it's up to you, you could try each, I would certainly go with Clonazepam or lorazepam first; and long t1/2 can also mean more gradual and less abrupt clearance, Idk the doses, keep that in mind though

Ok, thanks for reading and doing your homework ( says laziest man in, wait, where? :) ) and sorry for long post

(Not) Professor Lorne

Dude seriously look into etifoxine. It's a life-saver. A benzo equivalent with no dependency. Sounds too good to be true but it isn't. Works for my mild-moderate anxiety. I only ever use benzos for occasional stimulant comedowns now.

Definiitely a short acting benzo. If you want to minimise a drastic drop in CNS levels, space the dose out over the period of 2 hours or so. However, you'd be much better off using a non-benzo anxiolytic. Etifoxine is a GABA A drug that doesn't have any issues with tolerance or withdrawal. Works pretty well for me.

interesting, first time hearing about it! just looked it up and will look into it more, thanks !. how long have you been on it to know it hasn't left you dependent? that isn't meant to come off disrespectful just curious. the dc who put me on gabapentin swore up and down it was completely safe to take. when I went to them about the withdrawal symptoms they thought I was just being a cluck and treated me as such, it was bunk!. so I'm just skeptical by nature now when it comes to these things of things especially gaba based.
but the BRIEF search I did do so far I havent really read anything falling into that category for etifoxine. definitely will look into this more thanks my friend

Dude seriously look into etifoxine. It's a life-saver. A benzo equivalent with no dependency. Sounds too good to be true but it isn't. Works for my mild-moderate anxiety. I only ever use benzos for occasional stimulant comedowns now.

tell me more sir :) lol..... nah for real. have you tried stopping it at any point? what is the closest thing you could compare it too effect wise?

More information would be nice...

Idk, yeah, nobody believes in gabapentin wd or rebound symptoms...

Do you take any fish oil or flaxseed oil with Gabapentin? It may help things a bit. It may make sense to just stay at your current dose of Gabapentin until you start feeling better. No need to rush it if you are not feeling as great, unless you are running out of Gabapentin. But it is not a scheduled drug and it is readily prescribed.

But yes, congrats on getting off of Klonopin. Stopping at 0.5mg is actually very commendable as not everyone stopping their benzo can stop at 0.5mg K. And 0.5mg K is still equivalent to 10mg of Valium, so it is not a small dose to just stop. There may or may not be some post acute suffering. After a while, it's hard to say what is coming from what anymore.

I don't know. After what I'd experienced with benzos, I'd hardly recommend them for anything. There used to be a time when I could take them very sparingly, without problems, but that time is gone for me, sadly. Ativan and Klonopin are strong, Valium and Librium linger in the system for too long. Serax is shorter acting, but way safer than Ativan. But after being exposed to Ativan or Klonopin like benzos, Serax may be a bit too weak.

If everything fails, there's always Vistaril. I know it won't do much for Gaba wd's, but it may help with some of the anxiety at the very list.

I'd found Valerian helpful to deal with Gabapentin and Valium, but not with Ativan. Those little white pills are way stronger than most people think.

^ Yes, you seem to have a good grasp of things

Don't get me wrong, though, Clonazepam *consistently* lasts a. It longer than lorazepam overall, and because of its slower elimination and low lipophillicity (doesn't redistribute as much, though is 80-90% protein bound) it builds up with chronic dosing, and eventually becomes more effective* and can last even longer - Lorazepam can't build up, not to any significant extent - so Clonazepam is a "long" lasting " benzodiazepine, especially with chronic use, where it is also say double or triple the potency of lorazepam.(Acute dosing may be more 1.5-2x, though technically it's 1mg clono = 2mg lorazepam Acute, 1mg =3-4 Chronic, though those are loose at best, and based off of specific metrics, attempted to apply broadly, if that makes any sense) Even a single dose (of clonazepam) generally lasts 8-12 hours, and someone who takes, say, 1mg 2-3 x per day, a single 1.5-2mg dose of Clonazepam would hold them 12-24 hours in all likelihood (after wd has started)

Lorazepam is intermediate acting, though really, with a *SINGLE * dose, there isn't a big difference, in most cases, except potency, and subunit selectively and other stuff unimportant ;)
(Although, Clonazepam is better muscle relaxer, as you mentioned)

If this is to help hold off gabapentin, single doses of Clonazepam would probably be my recommendation , if I had too pick; both are similar enough, yet have distinct pros and cons

Personally just think Clonazepam would work better, ALTHOUGH, if it's more than once per day, or not on a schedule of any real solidity, then lorazepam (Ativan) is typically easier to dose PRN(as needed) and is, relaxing? It would certainly do its job, I would think

I think temazepam is decent, those for these purposes, I just don't know... It would be great at night, and is certainly an intermediate acting, medium duration, the only one with a fast-intermediate onset, and strong hypnotic. It simply does not hold as long, and even a brunch dose once daily seems impractical

Bottom line: it's up to you, you could try each, I would certainly go with Clonazepam or lorazepam first; and long t1/2 can also mean more gradual and less abrupt clearance, Idk the doses, keep that in mind though

Ok, thanks for reading and doing your homework ( says laziest man in, wait, where? :) ) and sorry for long post

(Not) Professor Lorne

Yooooooo Lorne man, thank you <3 seriously: I appreciate the dialogue *

Fwiw, my dose wold be 2mg of clonazepam at the most. either all at once or throughout the hour. I already have that dose separated from the rest of my Kpin stash..... you already know the drill with benzos haha gotta move the non immediate from sight. or that equivalence in Loraz, although I know the conversions are broad generalizations not taking in factors from each drugs profile as you pointed out. if anything from what I gather its control is alcohol withdrawal symptom mitigation rather than just anxiolytics alone.*
LOL side story though really fast, i remember during this recent few month binge on CLonazepam when I was trying to begin a taper, I went to the doctor and asked to have him switch me to diazepam, this silly bozo tried to do a 1:1 conversion!!!! I was like DUDE seriously. for every 1mg of clonazepam I was taking he wanted to give me 1mg valium HAH. I dont even have to explain the error here to y'all but apparently to him I did. I pulled out the conversion calculators, he didn't buy it. I pulled out the conversion charts. DIDNT BUY IT. he says "those aren't always accurate" lol. he wouldn't budge that day, he was already so confused he thought I was just trying to finesse him.* I went home finished his "month supply" in 2 days (which was literally just me taking my normal daily dose at the time) and I went back the 3rd day and complained to his nurse staff and showed them all the conversions again and they just reluctantly wrote me a whole brand new script of clonazepam again, they werent even trying to deal with the whole diazepam thing anymore hahaha. it all seemed so over there heads. best believe I never went back to that clown ever again hah.*
haha sorry just a semi relevant memory. but yeah so 2mg is kind of set as my boundary of sorts, dont think I'd need more than that for any legitimate reason

Do you take any fish oil or flaxseed oil with Gabapentin? It may help things a bit. It may make sense to just stay at your current dose of Gabapentin until you start feeling better. No need to rush it if you are not feeling as great, unless you are running out of Gabapentin. But it is not a scheduled drug and it is readily prescribed.

But yes, congrats on getting off of Klonopin. Stopping at 0.5mg is actually very commendable as not everyone stopping their benzo can stop at 0.5mg K. And 0.5mg K is still equivalent to 10mg of Valium, so it is not a small dose to just stop. There may or may not be some post acute suffering. After a while, it's hard to say what is coming from what anymore.

I don't know. After what I'd experienced with benzos, I'd hardly recommend them for anything. There used to be a time when I could take them very sparingly, without problems, but that time is gone for me, sadly. Ativan and Klonopin are strong, Valium and Librium linger in the system for too long. Serax is shorter acting, but way safer than Ativan. But after being exposed to Ativan or Klonopin like benzos, Serax may be a bit too weak.

If everything fails, there's always Vistaril. I know it won't do much for Gaba wd's, but it may help with some of the anxiety at the very list.

I'd found Valerian helpful to deal with Gabapentin and Valium, but not with Ativan. Those little white pills are way stronger than most people think.

I was taking flaxseed in the morning quite regularly with my veggie smoothies but I been on a salad vibe for breakfast more lately and havent been as frequent. I have started taking magnesium with my gaba doses, and I've been staying pretty up and up on protein ( just started eating meat again maybe once or twice a week after being vegan for 4 years ), but I also get a lot of ancient grains like amaranth and buckwheat and whatnot.

I still have about 5 roughly grams of gabapentin left in 100mg capsules, which should be more than enough to continue 400 a day until I'm stable, but as maybe shortcuts I can take I will. I can't even stress how much ketamine TO MY SURPRISE helped....It makes sense in retrospect with the glutamate down regulation, but when I was on the K I was having a mini mind fuck about it lol. it was actually a day I was about to take a Benzo and took a little bit of K instead and was so pleasantly effected I didn't even need to bother with the benzos that night.

the interesting thing about Ativan is a small but substansial percentage of users report having hallucinations of sorts, an other weird adverse reactions. I dont have hallucinations from it, BUT it is the oNLY Benzo that gives me that weeeeirrrddd trippy feeling thats really only shared with Z-drugs like ambien... just eery disassociation. it also makes my gag reflect sensitive to things like smoking (taking huge dabs lol) just like Z drugs and I've actually puked on them before just from coughing too much. which is NOT something I can say about any other Benzo whatsoever.

thanks my friend ....I appreciate that. its been a rough year for sure. the whole reason I even got on the clonazepam binge wasn't due to cravings but pretty unbearable PAWS from jumping off methadone cold turkey at 30mg last year. after about 6-8 months I was so exhausted mentally I needed some help. so yes not only did I probably have some unpleasant effects from jumping at 5, but I also had some already previously backed up protected symptoms from methadone. all over a crazy ride this past year....and now stuck on the gaba LOL. so I guess that shines a little more light onto why I want to get off asap. but really the gabapentin really helped quite astonishingly for the clonazepam withdrawal. not fully but significantly.

Etifoxine acts on the GABA-A receptor but in a two different ways, both unique. 1) It binds to a unique binding site on the GABA-A receptor (beta subunits). I think it shares this with valerian but etifoxine is a lot more effective than valerian. 2) It stimulates the production of neurosteroids which also bind to the GABA A receptor at a unique binding site.

So it is similar to benzos but subjectively feels a bit different. Its not sedating, or cognitively impairing. Benzos make me feel retarded, and often worsen my mood but etifoxine doesn't. Obviously the best part is it doesn't cause withdrawals. To be honest I don't take it daily so I can't comment from personal experience. However I never notice any rebound even though I use it regularly. And I can confirm that it doesn't have any of the side effects of benzos like sedation, cognitive impairment.

The studies do say that there is no dependence associated with it. It makes sense because benzos are only physically addictive because they active certain sub-units of the GABA-A receptor. In other words, only certain sub-units of the GABA-A receptor are responsible for dependence. This is why drugs like ambien are much less dependence forming than benzos (yes I know that they do cause dependence but it's much less severe than benzos).

Closest thing I could compare it to is a cross between etizolam and L-theanine? I don't know how else to describe it, it's pretty unique. It has 0 recreational potential though, no euphoria.

Look at it this way, even if it doesn't work 100% for you, you can still 'alternate' it with a standard benzo to minimise benzo tolerance. Worst case scenario you can use it to potentiate benzos so that you can be on a lower dose of benzos. The studies I've looked at found it equally as effective as benzos.

Only drawbacks for me are that re-dosing in the same day makes me feel very weird.... Also it doesn't help my OCD that much or my social anxiety, whereas benzos are a bit more effective. For general relaxation, general anxiety and agitation, it's better than benzos imo

Best part: it's uncontrolled and available legally online! It's affordable too. Great stuff dude, definitely try iy.

Last edited:
Etifoxine acts on the GABA-A receptor but in a two different ways, both unique. 1) It binds to a unique binding site on the GABA-A receptor (beta subunits). I think it shares this with valerian but etifoxine is a lot more effective than valerian. 2) It stimulates the production of neurosteroids which also bind to the GABA A receptor at a unique binding site.

So it is similar to benzos but subjectively feels a bit different. Its not sedating, or cognitively impairing. Benzos make me feel retarded, and often worsen my mood but etifoxine doesn't. Obviously the best part is it doesn't cause withdrawals. To be honest I don't take it daily so I can't comment from personal experience. However I never notice any rebound even though I use it regularly. And I can confirm that it doesn't have any of the side effects of benzos like sedation, cognitive impairment.

The studies do say that there is no dependence associated with it. It makes sense because benzos are only physically addictive because they active certain sub-units of the GABA-A receptor. In other words, only certain sub-units of the GABA-A receptor are responsible for dependence. This is why drugs like ambien are much less dependence forming than benzos (yes I know that they do cause dependence but it's much less severe than benzos).

Closest thing I could compare it to is a cross between etizolam and L-theanine? I don't know how else to describe it, it's pretty unique. It has 0 recreational potential though, no euphoria.

Look at it this way, even if it doesn't work 100% for you, you can still 'alternate' it with a standard benzo to minimise benzo tolerance. Worst case scenario you can use it to potentiate benzos so that you can be on a lower dose of benzos.

Only drawbacks for me are that re-dosing in the same day makes me feel very weird.... Also it doesn't help my OCD that much or my social anxiety, whereas benzos are a bit more effective. For general relaxation, general anxiety and agitation, it's better than benzos imo

interesting, thanks . is it perhaps like an even more subtle gabapentin?

I've definitely noticed the sometimes worse mood on benzos too.

I've heard people make claims that benzos aren't even addicting and mostly just physically dependent, which sounds like semantics to me but off personal experience I tend to agree with. I never have had as much of a problem with cravings as I do for lets say opiates, its more so normally taking it for exposed periods of time and becoming physically dependant. doesnt mean its a walk in the park to stop though ahah. anyways , appreciate the info. I havent had etizolam and years and l-theanine is something I'm still new too. I will look into it :)

interesting, thanks . is it perhaps like an even more subtle gabapentin?

I've definitely noticed the sometimes worse mood on benzos too.

I've heard people make claims that benzos aren't even addicting and mostly just physically dependent, which sounds like semantics to me but off personal experience I tend to agree with. I never have had as much of a problem with cravings as I do for lets say opiates, its more so normally taking it for exposed periods of time and becoming physically dependant. doesnt mean its a walk in the park to stop though ahah. anyways , appreciate the info. I havent had etizolam and years and l-theanine is something I'm still new too. I will look into it :)

Yes I guess I can see the comparison with gabapentin. It's more anxiolytic and less impairing than gabapentin though. For me gabapentin messes with my motor coordination. Definitely much better than gabapentin for me.

I agree with the point about benzos - they aren't inherently addictive to me either. Then again opiates aren't particularly addictive to me, even heroin. Of course the problem with benzos is the physical dependence, and the fact that it fucks with your brain on a global scale (memory, function, emotions etc.). Etifoxine seems to have neither of these.

May I ask what you're looking to treat with benzos? Is it excessive worrying, social anxiety, panic disorder or agitation?

I agree with the point about benzos - they aren't inherently addictive to me either. Then again opiates aren't particularly addictive to me, even heroin. Of course the problem with benzos is the physical dependence, and the fact that it fucks with your brain on a global scale (memory, function, emotions etc.). Etifoxine seems to have neither of these.

May I ask what you're looking to treat with benzos? Is it excessive worrying, social anxiety, panic disorder or agitation?

I think another factor is the overall nature of the effect benzos give you, they put you into a rationally/logically/emotionally unsafe cognitive space and allow your judgement to slip which causes excessive redosing. something about the nature of benzos make it so that normally the more effect people feel, the less likely they are to think its working. all to often the guy off 7mg of Xanax is gonna be like " I'm not even feeling anything" while half slumped on the couch lol. this behavior makes it easy to take it for undiscriminate periods of time before someone even notices how long they've been dosing. because they definitely dont effect my reward system the same as more classically addicting drugs. for anxious people they can prove to be very very addicting though, clearly.

I was originally prescribed Xanax a few years ago at pretty high doses , 120 2mg bars every month, for anxiety. I was a lot younger and this dose was way too excessive, I ended up getting sick of it after around a year of pure shit show and quit with almost no withdrawal symptoms or anything in particular. my anxiety was more or less managed although I was using opioids after I was done with the Xanax. I still have anxiety issues, nothing too severe, but coupled with some depression it is a burden. though nothing that would make me want to get back on benzos again as a crutch.

being a naturally anxious person, I am just having some trouble at the last leg of my gabapentin withdrawal and looking for relief of symptom. so this would be used only once or so in the near future, not looking to get instated on a regiment. so its mostly for a little relaxation, almost like how one might use it to soften a comedown of a stim trip.