• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Post a random sports stat or trivial material

China Rider

Bluelighter
Use this thread to share interesting information related to any past or present athlete/team/etc.

I've got a few related stats:

Kobe Bryant helped his team win three NBA Championships by the same age that Michael Jordan had won zero.

Kobe Bryant scored 62 points in THREE QUARTERS (that's 83 points per game pace) and then, ONE MONTH LATER, scored EIGHTY-FUCKING-ONE points in ANOTHER game.

Michael Jordan has played almost twice as many games as has Kobe, and has NEVER scored within FIFTEEN PERCENT of Kobe's highest score.

If you state that it is your opinion that Kobe Bryant is even ARGUABLY a better basketball player than was Michael Jordan anywhere outside of Los Angeles, you get looked at as if you just stated that you don't believe in gravity.

In highschool, Barry Sanders was primarily a defensive back because of his short stature. He was given the chance to compete for the tailback position, but declined because he refused to compete with one of his friends. His friend went off to college and the coach immediately put Sanders in as the tailback. Sitting on the sidelines after stacking up massive amounts of yards and points, he only needed 30 more yards to become the highschool leauge's leading rusher. He passed up the opportunity, because well, frankly, the man never gave two shits about his stats or some individual reward...

Barry Sanders donated $210,000 to Paradise Baptist Church after getting his signing bonus.

During a game against the Vikings, opposing players accused Sanders of putting some slippery substance on his jersey. It was indeed frustrating to try and tackle the man. Referees actually stopped the game and checked his jersey, but found no foul play involved.

Sanders once lost his shoe at the line of scrimmage and continued to rush for an 85 yard gain.

had wayne gretzky never scored a single one of his 894 career goals, he'd still be the all time points leader in the NHL on assists alone.

maurice richard was the first person to ever score 50 goals in the first 50 games of the season in the 44-45 season. since then it's happened 8 times by 5 different players... though wayne gretzky is the only one to ever score 50 goals in 39 games... a feat that will likely NEVER occur again.

brian boucher (a career back up goalie) set a shutout streak record of 332 minutes and 1 second in the 03-04 season.

wayne gretzky didn't win the rookie of the year award solely on a technicality. he was playing for the oilers (then of the WHA) when the WHA and the NHL merged and therefore was not considered a rookie during his first year in the NHL.

darryl sittler scored 10 points (6 goals and 4 assists) in one game in 1976... even wayne gretzky has never achieved that feat.

^^^^^^

It's a shame that as important a position as Running Back is, without EITHER:

(1) An excellent passing game;

OR

(2) An excellent defense,

. . . the greatest running back IMAGINABLE would have a hard time winning a Super Bowl.

That said, while I don't think he's quite the best of all-time, I *DO* concede that Mr. Sanders is among The Top Five I've Ever Seen (And I'm Old Enough To Have Seen Walter Payton, Earl Campbell and Tony Dorsett in their respective primes), and the sport of football is that much poorer because a one-in-many-millions talent like Barry Sanders just up and disappeared like Keyser Soze.

had wayne gretzky never scored a single one of his 894 career goals, he'd still be the all time points leader in the NHL on assists alone.

maurice richard was the first person to ever score 50 goals in the first 50 games of the season in the 44-45 season. since then it's happened 8 times by 5 different players... though wayne gretzky is the only one to ever score 50 goals in 39 games... a feat that will likely NEVER occur again.

brian boucher (a career back up goalie) set a shutout streak record of 332 minutes and 1 second in the 03-04 season.

wayne gretzky didn't win the rookie of the year award solely on a technicality. he was playing for the oilers (then of the WHA) when the WHA and the NHL merged and therefore was not considered a rookie during his first year in the NHL.

darryl sittler scored 10 points (6 goals and 4 assists) in one game in 1976... even wayne gretzky has never achieved that feat.

The fact that most Americans consider Michael Jordan to have been the most dominant team-sport athlete of this past century is mind-boggling.

Gretzky, like Pele, was simply generations ahead of his time - that mother fucker passed the puck to people who didn't even know they were open.

Viva The Great One!

^ i couldn't agree more!

darryl sittler in an interview once made a joke about the fact that his 10 points in 1 game record was special to him because it was the only record that gretzky didn't own. :D

wayne gretzky's dad (walter) taught him not to go to where the puck is, but where it's going to be. it was said BEFORE gretzky that anticipation couldn't be taught. the russians also believed walter gretzky to be canada's most valuable weapon. :)

billy smith was the first nhl goaltender to record a goal as he was the last player from the scoring team to touch the puck before it went into the other team's net, however, the ill tempered ron hextall from the flyers was the first to record a goal on an official shot on goal.

dave hanson (one of the hanson brothers from the movie "slap shot") has a son who plays hockey for notre dame, christian hanson.

niklas lidstrom was the first european born captain to lead his team to a stanley cup win.

and this is one of my favorite stats (in part because he's a former blue jacket goalie)... ty conklin is the only player to have played in all three of the NHL's outdoor games. he was the starting goaltender for edmonton in the heritage classic in 2003, he was the starting goaltender for the penguins in the winter classic last year, and he was the starting goaltender for the red wings in this year's winter classic.

That said, while I don't think he's quite the best of all-time, I *DO* concede that Mr. Sanders is among The Top Five I've Ever Seen (And I'm Old Enough To Have Seen Walter Payton, Earl Campbell and Tony Dorsett in their respective primes), and the sport of football is that much poorer because a one-in-many-millions talent like Barry Sanders just up and disappeared like Keyser Soze.

I agree that he wasn't the GOAT, but he was IMO the most exciting-to-watch of all time.

Another interesting thing is that he often led the league in rushes for loss of yards. Calling a Barry Sanders run play was like calling a pass play. You could lose a couple yards, but you could break one for 30+. The difference being that there was less of a risk of turning the ball over, because Sanders rarely fumbled. Yet another interesting thing is that Sanders spiked the ball maybe once in his entire football career.

mike vrabel - a linebacker for the new england patriots - has recorded 10 career receptions playing offense every single one for a touchdown.

alasdair

In 1943, what piece of equipment became required for all players to wear in the NFL?

In the 1980's who was the winning'est team in the NFL?

In 1972, what NFL team introduced cheerleaders?

The LA Kings traded away first round draft picks that became Ray Bourque and Phil Housley.

Ray Ferraro scored 108 goals in his final year of major junior hockey

The 1961 Trail Smokeaters were the last Canadian club side to win the World Ice Hockey Championship

Quebec's Peter Stastny was the Calder trophy winner the year Wayne Gretzky should have won it (NHL's rookie of the year award)

Six Sutter brothers played in the NHL at the same time (Brian, Duane, Rich, Ron, Brent, Daryl)

As a 52 year old, Gordie Howe scored 15 goals in his final NHL season.

The St. Louis Blues appeared in consecutive Stanley Cup finals in the first three years of their NHL existence (67-68, 68-69, 69-70) and won not a single game. They haven't been back to the finals since.

The Blues were not at the NHL draft table in the spring of 1983, the only time a team has been absent.