• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Poppy pods ..... Can you smoke dried poppy pods?

Sk1500

Bluelighter
I'm never afraid to ask the potentially dumb questions, so here goes 😅🤷‍♂️

Can you smoke dried poppy pod powder mixed with tobacco? The lack of any posts or seeing it mentioned before would make me assume no.

In order to smoke pure opium do you need to collect the leakage from small cuts in fresh poppies? I'm assuming you can't make smokeable opium, as per early 20th century without a lot of ingredients, a chemistry degree etc.... peaky blinders style.

What would happen though if dried blended powder is mixed with backy. Definitely a question I'd rather ask instead of guinea pigging it.

Cheers folks

You probably can, but it won't be effective. Poppy pods can be very potent when brewed into a tea, but several grammes are required so the size of spliff you'd need would be ridiculous.

As for collecting the latex from scored pods, forget it unless you have acres of the stuff. But if you do have acres of the stuff then a chemistry degree is not necessary. To obtain smoking opium from the scoring of thousands of pods, all you need to do is dissolve it all in slightly acidified hot water then filter out the plant material. Voilà, refined opium.

Doesn't work on a small scale I'm afraid...

You probably can, but it won't be effective. Poppy pods can be very potent when brewed into a tea, but several grammes are required so the size of spliff you'd need would be ridiculous.

As for collecting the latex from scored pods, forget it unless you have acres of the stuff. But if you do have acres of the stuff then a chemistry degree is not necessary. To obtain smoking opium from the scoring of thousands of pods, all you need to do is dissolve it all in slightly acidified hot water then filter out the plant material. Voilà, refined opium.

I see you've got this! :ROFLMAO:

Ticks me off this does though! The irony of the relative simplicity to produce (arguably) one of the most addictive and destructive narcotics on the planet. Well relative to, oh, you know, that other ever so evil narcotic! 🍃🏔️:ROFLMAO: Put another way: there shouldn't even be a "drought" thread nor is there any excuse for there to be smack cut with other synthetic opioids. Dunno who is running this fucking show. Obviously not me! :ROFLMAO: Even more ironic is the time, effort, chemicals, equipment, and knowledge required to synthesize Fentanyl (even a one pot synthesis requires skill and knowledge way beyond what's needed to produce even #4 pure smack if you've got the right/quality starting organic material i.e. reminds me of a line usually found in a computer software manual "it's so simple even a novice can do it! :ROFLMAO: ).

Rant over! :ROFLMAO:

This will not work like you're hoping. Dosage of pods is much too high to smoke, you're talking 10, 20, or even more grams to get a good effect. Smoking that much plant matter would be a horrible experience, not sure you even could do it if you tried as hard as you could (and ruined your lungs). If you did an extraction on the pods, you could smoke that, I'm sure, similar to opium. But smoking opium is inferior to eating it, anyway, it's stronger and lasts much longer when eaten.

I see you've got this! :ROFLMAO:

Ticks me off this does though! The irony of the relative simplicity to produce (arguably) one of the most addictive and destructive narcotics on the planet. Well relative to, oh, you know, that other ever so evil narcotic! 🍃🏔️:ROFLMAO: Put another way: there shouldn't even be a "drought" thread nor is there any excuse for there to be smack cut with other synthetic opioids. Dunno who is running this fucking show. Obviously not me! :ROFLMAO: Even more ironic is the time, effort, chemicals, equipment, and knowledge required to synthesize Fentanyl (even a one pot synthesis requires skill and knowledge way beyond what's needed to produce even #4 pure smack if you've got the right/quality starting organic material i.e. reminds me of a line usually found in a computer software manual "it's so simple even a novice can do it! :ROFLMAO: ).

Rant over! :ROFLMAO:

Well the thing is, in order to produce enough opium to sustain even one person's habit for a year, you'd have to grow a lot of poppies. A person could probably do it for them and their friends with a dedicated effort, but to produce enough opium to satisfy the hordes of opiate users would be no easy feat. Many people live in cities, where you can't grow poppies for yourself because there is no land there to grow stuff in. Also not all climates are suitable for poppies.

As for collecting the latex from scored pods, forget it unless you have acres of the stuff.

Oh yep it does. Been doing it for years now.
It's the same process as for larger quantities, just with everything scaled down. The thing is whether you wanna go to all that trouble for a few grams.
(And it so happens that I do.)

You also don't need 'acres and thousands of plants'. I only got around 500 (and started off with half that) but they're high - yielding with multiple flowerheads, and give me enough for a fair few smokes.

Oh yep it does. Been doing it for years now.
It's the same process as for larger quantities, just with everything scaled down. The thing is whether you wanna go to all that trouble for a few grams.
(And it so happens that I do.)

You also don't need 'acres and thousands of plants'. I only got around 500 (and started off with half that) but they're high - yielding with multiple flowerheads, and give me enough for a fair few smokes.

Fair enough, but is it really worth all that effort when you can just brew the pods?

Fair enough, but is it really worth all that effort when you can just brew the pods?
I find the tea revolting. Xd
A smoke gives you a much better high.

Also I like the whole thing as a project.
I've always been fascinated by the whole culture surrounding opium back in the day when smoking it was a widespread thing.
I find a great deal of satisfaction in having taught myself all the traditional techniques. After you go to all that faff of growing your poppies, harvesting them, refining, and then you light your lamp for the first time that year, you get a real sense of personal accomplishment.

PS what's extremely difficult is to get hold of the paraphernalia. Most pipes were destroyed in the anti - opium campaigns as 'symbols of vice' never mind many were works of artistry in their own right.
Of those that survived, the majority is being bought back by Chinese collectors.

Pretty much everything offered for sale as 'opium pipes' are either nothing of the sort, or they are inferior souvenir pieces made for the tourist market which don't actually work. Finding a genuine, quality one in good enough condition to still use is nearly impossible and when one shows up, you usually need a small fortune.
I have a beautiful tortoiseshell one with white jade end - pieces, and a fretwork brass lamp (which only needed a new wick). The pipe set me back over one and a half thousand and the lamp another £350. That's two month's income. Yep I am seriously obsessed XD

I've always been fascinated by the whole culture surrounding opium back in the day when smoking it was a widespread thing.
I find a great deal of satisfaction in having taught myself all the traditional techniques. After you go to all that faff of growing your poppies, harvesting them, refining, and then you light your lamp for the first time that year, you get a real sense of personal accomplishment.

PS what's extremely difficult is to get hold of the paraphernalia. Most pipes were destroyed in the anti - opium campaigns as 'symbols of vice' never mind many were works of artistry in their own right.
Of those that survived, the majority is being bought back by Chinese collectors.

Pretty much everything offered for sale as 'opium pipes' are either nothing of the sort, or they are inferior souvenir pieces made for the tourist market which don't actually work. Finding a genuine, quality one in good enough condition to still use is nearly impossible and when one shows up, you usually need a small fortune.
I have a beautiful tortoiseshell one with white jade end - pieces, and a fretwork brass lamp (which only needed a new wick). The pipe set me back over one and a half thousand and the lamp another £350. That's two month's income. Yep I am seriously obsessed XD

You sir, are a true connoisseur. I doff my hat to you. I totally understand the satisfaction you get from the whole procedure and if circumstances were different I would do it myself. Although I've grown hundreds of poppies over the past few years, I quickly decided that traditional opium production was impractical because of the time and effort involved - as well as looking suss as fuck to the neighbours. Hence I settled on the grow and brew technique instead.

I actually like the taste of pod tea myself - perhaps I'm just fuckin weird...

You sir, are a true connoisseur. I doff my hat to you. I totally understand the satisfaction you get from the whole procedure and if circumstances were different I would do it myself. Although I've grown hundreds of poppies over the past few years, I quickly decided that traditional opium production was impractical because of the time and effort involved - as well as looking suss as fuck to the neighbours. Hence I settled on the grow and brew technique instead.

I'm quite fortunate in that I live in the last cottage down a remote country lane and it's a full 10 min walk to the nearest neighbour.

... And after a summer's diligent effort I am rewarded with a little box of chandu pills and a small bottle of opium tincture aka laudanum. 😊

You have 500 poppy plants.. nice man. Ever get into the indigenous heroin synthesis ceremonies?

I like the taste too, particularly when brewed with a stovetop espresso maker, it tastes just straight up pleasant with those. The bitterness reminds me of coffee bitterness, in that it is bitter, but the bitterness is not unpleasant and is part of the flavor. Then the aftertaste is earthy and complex.

Ok, so the answer is a no then 😅😅😅 my tolerance is very high, I started off on about 20-25 grams using the tea method and then just having Morphine in the evening. After a few weeks I was having few a day.

I've changed to the stove espresso maker method which is much way more effective than the tea method and so grateful I've been introduced to it, using a cup that fits 20-25 grams and having 3 or 4 a day. I've lowered my morphine sulfate dosage though.

Think I just need to try and have a break from the pods now as it's already at the stage where I find sometimes I don't really feel anything, other times I can feel it after just 40-50g.

I can't imagine that smoking would work, unless it is in the form of proper smokeable opium. Thought it was interesting question to ask though.

I like the taste too, particularly when brewed with a stovetop espresso maker, it tastes just straight up pleasant with those. The bitterness reminds me of coffee bitterness, in that it is bitter, but the bitterness is not unpleasant and is part of the flavor. Then the aftertaste is earthy and complex.
The taste with espresso maker is lovely, I don't even find it that bitter, I do like adding a bit of lemon to it, not sure if that's a mental leftover from the tea brewing days!!!