• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Poppy Growing Questions

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
So how long do poppies typically take start to finish? I ask because they’ve been placed pretty far out and I don’t wanna make the trip to get them/score them unless I’m getting the idea they may be ready.

They were grown indoors under lighting for roughly 45 days then placed outside. They were still fairly small going out but quickly began growing more once out (and the deer munched half em.)

Also what color are the flowers typically? Red? Can the petals be plucked off and still be ok?

-GC

12 - 16 weeks typically. Are they in pots or have you transplanted them? Either way, I'm surprised they've survived because they dont grow well in pots (they have a long tap root) and dont tolerate transplanting very well.

The flowers can be many colours depending on the cultivar - red, white, purple, crimson etc.

Don't pluck the petals off, they fall of their own accord after only a few days. Then you need to wait another week or so while the pods swell. They're ready to score when the little pointy bits on the crown of the pod are standing upright, which is facilitated by the swelling of the pod.

After another few days the seeds in the pod mature and it starts to dry out which causes the pod to open around the crown thus releasing the seeds. Latex production has dropped by this point so you need to score between when the crown is upright, but before the pod opens.

Let the most healthy plants mature fully so you can collect the seeds for next year.

Have fun :D

Idk what your state laws are regarding P. Somniferum, but these are legal in many states to grow wherever and will spread like the plague very easily. Why not grow them in your backyard? Nosy neighbors?
Might be easier to manage that way.

Last edited:
All parts of the Papaver Somniferum plant, except for the seeds, are schedule II on a federal level, which of course covers all states.

Whether one can get away with growing them depends simply on one's self, so it seems. Are you a conspicuous individual? Can you grow something without making it obvious and without telling anyone?

All parts of the Papaver Somniferum plant, except for the seeds, are schedule II on a federal level, which of course covers all states.

Whether one can get away with growing them depends simply on one's self, so it seems. Are you a conspicuous individual? Can you grow something without making it obvious and without telling anyone?
Odd, i've see them growing in so many random spots (parks, flower beds in the middle of town, etc) in broad daylight over the years i assumed they were legal in most states. My friend's grandmother in california had hundreds of them in her back and frontyard for who knows how long lol. They grew like weeds.

Poppies do grow everywhere, but they are usually not P. Somniferum. They are usually P. Rhoeas or P. Orientale.

I always take a moment to check. Once in a while I get lucky.

0MCzvV4.jpg

is also a valuable ornamental plant, grown in gardens

Thanks guys for the information.

I grew them under a t3 cool fluoro single beam and 2 compact cool fluoros. Started them in peat pots knowing their roots don’t tolerate transplant well.

I kept a few to keep in pots too but indeed I got some nosy neighbors.

I just want like a gram total of opium since it’s been years since I’ve had anything real. I’ll walk away happy. I’ll report back if I’m successful :)

Btw thinking back I only grew them for 30 days before going out, just enough to get them hardy enough to go out.

-GC

Poppies do grow everywhere, but they are usually not P. Somniferum. They are usually P. Rhoeas or P. Orientale.

I got to know the Somniferum very well a number of years ago, and can spot one from a mile away. Trust me, these were the real deal. They're not hard to find lol.

OD is not my usual stomping ground but I'm pretty sure this sort of thing constitutes drug prodruction/synthesis. Can someone give me their opinion on this?

I'm not saying anybody has done anything wrong. Even I am a little unsurse here.

OD is not my usual stomping ground but I'm pretty sure this sort of thing constitutes drug prodruction/synthesis. Can someone give me their opinion on this?

I'm not saying anybody has done anything wrong. Even I am a little unsurse here.
Wouldn't sythesis involve some level of processing?
Poppies excrete opium and morphine that really only needs drying if you're the impatient type.

So how long do poppies typically take start to finish? I ask because they’ve been placed pretty far out and I don’t wanna make the trip to get them/score them unless I’m getting the idea they may be ready.

They were grown indoors under lighting for roughly 45 days then placed outside. They were still fairly small going out but quickly began growing more once out (and the deer munched half em.)

Also what color are the flowers typically? Red? Can the petals be plucked off and still be ok?

-GC
Most common colour is white with purple cross.id say 3-4months.in your case probably another 2months.if u want to wait for pods and scrape them etc it's a shot in the dark.hard to tell exactly but little known fact if u pluck them just before they start to show signs there going to start to flower then this is the point where they have all the morphine in them there going to have and can just be juiced in a juicer to obtain a potent liquid which when dried into a paste is more potent than regular opium gum or they can be boiled like mushies for a potent tea.once they start to pod your past the point of no return and you have to go all the way and score/scrape them as I suspect all the morphine goes from the leaves/stems to to the pods.
Another tip: you got to space them out to get full sized pods.i didn't and had hundreds per square metre and the biggest pod I got is the size of a medium grape.all those thin stems equal small pods.space them out for pods or juice them if growing in tight clusters.

Last edited:

This would fall under extraction Keif.

The rules state:

3) NO DISCUSSIONS OF SYNTHESIS
Legal or illegal or any steps involved. There are other message boards who are willing to risk the liabilities of such synthesis discussion, but we aren't one of them. However instructional guides based on purification and extraction processes are permitted though will be monitored closely.

first
of all with due respect,
what IS synthesis.

I'm sorry, I am an idiot ! ☹

And I promise I will honestly look up the definition also.

Thankyou Guys 😲😮🍌

(please and thank you, I was just wondering)

inquiring ,minds. what 😁

oh gawd it was right above me the whole time.

kinda slow too guys. Thanks for heping.

edit: i still,don't know.

Un
Are these neighbors privy to the drug scene or opiates in general? Most people don't give these plants a second glance.
Your right until there's pods on them no one looks twice but as soon as you start scoring and scraping everybody knows what's up