• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☮ Social ☮ [POLL] Your Psychedelic Use: Spiritual or Recreational?

How would you characterize your use of psychedelics?

• Strictly recreational

Votes: 26 5.9%
  • Recreational, but open to spiritual use

Votes: 196 44.6%
  • Spiritual, but open to having fun

Votes: 206 46.9%
  • Strictly spiritual

Votes: 11 2.5%

• Total voters
in the begiining I would enjoy laughing my ass off all night after some mushrooms with a few friends and that was that. But over time I found there were far deeper things to be explored .

Most of the lads that I used to trip with weren`t interested in this `spiritual stuff` and so now I prefer to trip alone without distractions.

On the other hand I do like tripping at festivals where there is plenty of space to wander around. Music is ecstatic on psychedelics, its one of the other main reasons I still take them.

I don't use psychedelics, but I can retort on my past experiences even if they were at a time recreational for a strictly spiritual life.

Good answer!

#3 usually

It really depends on the particular substance and the company I may be keeping.

#1 for the most part.

I cant realy see how some people who I know dose AT LEAST 5 times a month claiming anything but recreational. eitehr you are VERY spiritualy handicapped or your just having fun and putting the name spiritual on it.

adrian89987 said:
I can have a spiritual experience going for a walk every single day.
LIFE is my spiritual experience;)

but the comment I made is using a psychedelic to catalyse a spiritual experience. menaing that you wouldnt have ahd that experience if it wasnt fro the injestion of the psychedelic. IMO of course.

Exactly, if your life is a spiritual experience, how isn't all of your trips as a result some kind of spiritual experience.

I agree that that psychedelics shouldnt be seen as the only way to catalyse a spiritual experience, for what psychedelics have helped me to realize is that everything can be, in some way, a spiritual experience.

This is why my selection is 2/3 by the way

Because I think the overlap....or are the same thing almost.

I definitely say it goes both ways for me. Psychedelics, until I finally tried them were never appealing to me and now I really enjoy them. The trip is always fun, and I enjoy the experience I think there is a lot of potential in it to have a real spiritual experience//awakening. :]]

<3

I think the entire purpose of taking drugs like acid or shrooms are to 'take a walk of the wild side'. by that i mean that upon taking the drug you essentially are removed from earth and dropped in a nearby solar system. And with things like that it is futile to try to put any definition at all on what you want your trip will be like. i have taken acid and philosophized for hours with my friends, but i have also taken acid and just stared at things. in a nutshell what im saying is that the beauty of psychs is that they can take you to a different place every time, unlike what any other class of drug can achieve.

For me it's both spiritual and recreational, and I haven't voted because I feel the categories are too exclusive.

Looking a people the categories are relevant, because some people are very strictly "spiritual" and make a whole lotta fuss about it - like trying to look morally superior or something like that. Others couldn't give a flying fuck with the "spiritual realm" - they just wanna party, the more colors the better and fuck "insight".

For someone like me who feels completely amoral/open about psychedelics it's just both, no strictness or preference or exclusivity.

My fun comes out of the spiritual part, I have an absolute blast getting in touch with my thoughts and running around in my head looking at strange things, watching reality warp into something unable to be witnessed by a sober person. If im really far gone and I see or hear someone(not real) talking to me and we have a chat through mindwaves, I find that immensely spiritual, this is either something that is real or something that my mind has made up purely without me being conscious of it, either way this makes me smile and its actually quite fun on the side.

Sometimes tripping can become serious though and that why I prefer to trip alone or with few people because sometimes I just need time to think and it goes from fun, happy and laughing to a deep trance of thought, not a bad thing by any means but just not what you would usually say is fun.

i go into a trip looking for fun and a nice dip out of my own day-to-day reality, but i always learn something, whether about myself or the world in general. so i voted number two.

High

I dont know where to put my self, having fun is also important for me in a Trip, but i dont like tripping at parties or with groups, because, i have to be in a sacred space, where i feel good.

so maybe somewhere between three and four

Peace Salviasca

I picked 2... then I went back and actually read the definitions.. so about halfway betwixt 2 & 3 :).

I voted 2 because that encompasses most of my psychedelic use.

However, for me it really depends on the psychedelic in question. On shrooms I usually end up having an extremely spiritual experience. Literally, I feel closer to God. On LSD and mescaline it's kind of more grounded in my own reality, and more fun despite being utterly profound at the same time. And 2c-b and 2c-i are, for me and the way I use them, pretty much fun party drugs that are an alternative to doing MDMA or drinking when I go out, one with added trippy visuals, euphoria and sense of absurdity. I don't get profound and deep mental effects from these chemicals the way I do from other psychedelics. I'd do acid or mescaline at a club too but I'd never do mushrooms while I was out. I'm sure these differences in experience vary for everyone though.

This:

B9 said:
Oddly enough I've learnt to merely value the headspace - no matter what that be - expectations from psychedelics I try to avoid - IME one rarely finds what one overtly seeks.

That's probably just me though.

Each to their own.

and this:

sansserif said:
I do think there is a third option that isn't encompassed by the poll options, though. the mental clarity/openness and willingness to explore one's own thoughts and motivations allows for a profound exploration of self that is not necessarily "recreational" in the hedonistic sense, but not exactly "spiritual" either. it's not even between the two; it's just something else entirely.

are probably pretty good descriptions of my "relationship" with psyches :).

PS - And even with the coming of today's sobriety, I still think they're pretty good descriptions :).

Last edited:
I'm gunna have to go with #2, but more inbetween 2 and 3.. I like to have fun on psychs, but I also love to learn something new everytime (and make a point to do so)