• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☮ Social ☮ [POLL] Your Psychedelic Use: Spiritual or Recreational?

How would you characterize your use of psychedelics?

• Strictly recreational

Votes: 26 5.9%
  • Recreational, but open to spiritual use

Votes: 196 44.6%
  • Spiritual, but open to having fun

Votes: 206 46.9%
  • Strictly spiritual

Votes: 11 2.5%

• Total voters
i use psychedelics recreationally. i started using psychedelics for spiritual purposes, but they lost the spiritual / magical feeling with time.

I voted 'spiritual, but open for having fun'.

For me, I like to go into a trip with a question about myself. I don't always get an answer, but that's ok, there's always next time. I've learned much about myself and my potential thanks to psychedelics.

I am always up for a recreational trip with some friends though!

I don't believe in ghosts and goblins, but I wouldn't say my psychedelic use is strictly recreational. I use such chemicals mostly as tools of introspection. It just so happens that when I do so, I don't imagine Gods and sorcery, but rather I contemplate humanity and human empathy - particularly my own place within the societal structure.

So, as a naturalist who happens to not be a nihilist, there is no option on this poll that suits me.

I think that the best-known psychedelic proponents who went nuts and became pseudo-gurus (Leary, Alpert, McKenna, etc) have been the most damaging to the public image of psychedelic drug use. Authors like Shulgin and Huxley are to most young readers not nearly as exciting as stories of taking drugs and suddenly entering a world of magic, aliens, Gods, etc, but for many grown-ups, they are a wonderful breath of clean air within an arrogant, new age stench of childish nonsense.

Think about it. A "square", so to speak (a middle-aged adult who does not take drugs) watches his daughter take a tryptamine. Next, he sees her giggling. Finally, he hears her say, "Oh my God, Daddy... I see now that I am an important part of the eternal oneness of the mystical muffin. It's SO clear now! EVERYONE should take these drugs!"

Of COURSE Dad's going to look upon such "revelations" as proof that "those horrible drugs make you crazy!"

Peacelove,
Aldousage

Recreational, but open to spiritual use was my initial vote, but after my last two LSA experiences I definately see the spiritual side of psychedelics if you look for them while you are tripping. I felt an intense connection with the nature around me and was totally calm with a peaceful mind, the first of the two trips showed me how meditation can be achieved so as a part-time ;) buddhist I would say it helped me onto my spiritual path. :)
The second trip showed me my place in nature and my circle of life, almost like walking on a path that both nature and yourself partake in. And like most paths, this one has sidepaths and blockages and is often unclear for us.

Nature's plants and substances have a lot of secrets and it's still unknown how some naturally occuring chemicals work, so I'm going to do a lot of research with LSA (HWBR) seeds / plants and Mescaline containing cacti. Maybe there is a reason why buddhists and other religious groups use certain herbs and plants, I am going to try some legal ones as well :)

It's funny, when I started taking drugs, I was a teenager and it was all about recreation- lots of it! 14 or so years later, I can't even fathom taking a psychidelic or dissociative in a social arena anymore. I feel like I would miss the whole experience! I'd rather have a cocktail with friends and keep the trip to myself. Funny how things like that change.

It's not the slightest bit spiritual since I don't believe in spirits.

So I guess I'm a recreational badass mofo.

^^ Well spiritual doesn't mean you have to believe it spirits. It just means that your use connects you to your spirituality, your connection to that which is greater than yourself. In which case you might still not believe in that, but I wanted to mention it anyway.

Xorkoth said:
^^ Well spiritual doesn't mean you have to believe it spirits. It just means that your use connects you to your spirituality, your connection to that which is greater than yourself. In which case you might still not believe in that, but I wanted to mention it anyway.

I call that "intellectuality" or something.

Hitting the god spot in the brain is nice, but it doesn't make me a believer.

For me, it mainly for personal psychical benefit, which is pretty much the definition of individual spirituality. However, I also have never had a 'bad' trip and absolutely love the psychedelic experience; I consider it to be the best 'feeling' that I can experience, so clearly, I find it "fun." The only divergence I have is on the "social setting" bit--I almost always trip alone and take research notes / notes on random thoughts during the trip.

Psychedelics don't make me believe in religious dogma or popular notions of 'god,' however.
Hitting the god spot in the brain is nice, but it doesn't make me a believer.
Amen (pardon the pun).

Thank-you, ninjadanslarbretabar, for mentioning that word. It's helped me to choose a (missing) voting choice.

I would vote for "Inspirational/Empathic", if it were an option.

Peacelove,
Aldousage

Aldousage said:
I think that the best-known psychedelic proponents who went nuts and became pseudo-gurus (Leary, Alpert, McKenna, etc) have been the most damaging to the public image of psychedelic drug use. Authors like Shulgin and Huxley are to most young readers not nearly as exciting as stories of taking drugs and suddenly entering a world of magic, aliens, Gods, etc, but for many grown-ups, they are a wonderful breath of clean air within an arrogant, new age stench of childish nonsense.

I could not agree more. I stumbled upon a video on youtube of Dr. Shulgin and McKenna discussing a variety of topics having to do with psychedelics. McKenna himself admitted to becoming slightly loony from his over indulgence of psychedelics. I've never bothered reading anything from him and I don't plan to, his ideas are just to otherworldly for me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bVUBandJE4E

Interesting video nonetheless.

Strictly recreational...

I dont know how to use them for "spiritual" reasons.

Maybe someone can tell me what "spiritual" really means. And open me up to the spiritual use of psychedelics.

But if it has anything to do with religion or believing in ghosts and stuff like that then no thanks.

I think of spiritual as bringing a strong connection between my consciousness and the universe.

But most likely That's not the correct technical meaning of it, but thats it for me.

Dxmmonster said:
Maybe someone can tell me what "spiritual" really means. And open me up to the spiritual use of psychedelics.

Did you read through the thread? Most of it has been dedicated to debating exactly that. In my opinion, it means just exploring one's own psyche, the desired result usually being a better understanding and comprehension of something relating to one's own life in some way.

Option 2 for me, but I feel more and more drawn to less recreational-minded use as time goes on it seems.

I like my trips to be difficult learning experiences, i usually spend most of the trip by myself probing my mind, otherwise, what is the point, getting high and killing time? I'd just drink beer and smoke pot if i wanted to do that

When I first started iwth psychedelics, it was a completely introspective quest.

After I became more habituated to the effects; I started to mold my trips more to my enjoyment rather than spending hours in the dark probing my mind.

I'll still get the occasional epiphany, though...

I chose recreational, but open to spiritual use.

I trip for fun and sometimes to help with depression. I always hope for some kind of spiritual breakthrough, but that type of trip is rare for me. I almost always eventually go back to the way I was when I have a spiritual experience or seemingly important insight. It would be nice if the positive changes would last. There have been some lasting changes in some negative behaviours and thought processes, but not nearly as much as I'd like.

It can be hard to change yourself.

I have to go with mostly recreational, because i generally do them with friends in a recreational setting.. biking around, having fun, friends house, friends car driving places, etc.

But shit, I'd like to have some sort of spiritual/emotional breakthrough and be like that's it!, that's the meaning of life and god is a giant spaghetti monster!

But, that generally doesn't happen, i usually wind up laughing uncontrollably at stupid things and saying "i'm tripping fucking balls" the whole time

oh shit, i was just reading through this page of the thread and hellyeah to you who said "inspirational"

not strictly inspirational, but I'd say that word could replace spiritual for me.. i just.. can't be spiritual.. IDK, i'm just.. not, but i can definitely look to these substances to give me some sort of inspiration in some aspect many, many times