• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

please read, and please stop rolling!

thanx for the comments guys....
i like the forum already and it's just my third time on...
nice friendly bunch!
my doctor just changed my anti-depressants from
effexor to selexa(not sure if the name is right)
he said that what i was taking(effexor)was affecting both seretonine and another one i don't recall what he called it
but that what i'm taking now will only effect my seretonine....but is it more dangerous or less for me to roll?
does anybody know?
thanx again.

kronstrom If I were you I'd stay away from e. It plays with your serotonin levels in a very strong way and it will only agravate the condition you are taking the antidepressant for. The previous medication you took affected dopamine as wellas serotonin.
Selexa is an SSRI so it won't kill you if you use e but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Some good comments from ketone.
Just to add, a lot of people have trouble rolling if they are taking SSRIs like celexa (I'm pretty sure it's spelt with a C). Those that do roll generally find the rolls to be weak.
So all in all, not recommended.

well folks the first thing i'd like to say is it's really nice to c all of u intelligent people interacting with each other ... now i'm going to tell u about my experience with 'e' ... b4 i ever took it i did all the recerch i wieghed the all pro's and con's and then armed with a bottle of 5-htp for deffence i jumped in ! there are people who do studies on this drug sum trying to prove one thing sum trying to prove another.. i would say that as an observation the ones who torture monkeys (our fuzzy little primate couzins) have the least amount of experience and knowledge about 'e'.. iv'e taken about 60 pills in the last year about 15-20 of them i took in the week just b4 new years .. and guess what ... i feel fantastic ^_^ i may not take 'e' anymore because i'm starting to feel like i've reached a point where i don't need it anymore i feel like a little kid again (i think it's all about retraining your brain) and people with grumpy faces on the street don't get it but it doesn't matter anyway -- this is a fact even when your on ecstasy your neurotransmitter levels are still not as high as they were when u were b4 the ages of age of about 5 or 6 ( that key time when your learning rate was incredible and your emotions where so intence ) what's causing your deppresson isn't hypothetical damage done by this drug it's the fact that your experiencing a real existence once or mabey twice a month and then are being forced to go back to a little life-in-a-box where the majority of people have no clue.. i used to b more deppresed than i even realized b4 i started taking 'e' but after the first time i took it i knew that even if i never took another pill i was a better person 4 having doen it just that once.. well that was fun writing sumthing that long i hope u'all enjoyed it and if u didn't :p .. oki bye bye oh yeah and the anger grumpyness isn't the MDMA it the speed they put in the pills anyone who's ever taken drugs 4 ADHD knows this ^_^ oki bye
P L U R

Well I just thought I would share my story since I had a simular expierence. I have been rolling for a bout 3 years and as soon as i discovered x I wanted to take it every weekend, so i did..wicked buzz!! then I started taking x on thursday fri sat and sunday so the only sober days were mon tues weds. I though it was the bollocks rushing out of my head most of the time but it caught up my me really quickly though because the days I wasnt taking it I was like the anti-christ to everyone around me an agressive fucker because of the comedown..so I did a detox in hospital 4 2 weeks and I gave it up for a while..so things were looking up I had a good job nice girlfriend etc.. then I though it would be harmless if I just has a few teeny little pills at the weekend, no harm I was going to control it this time and not get out of hand..Bullshit I was back doing 15-20 pills a week again in no time and too make up i gobbled about 200 pills in 8 months..OH yeah I had a wicked time but at the expense of everything else in my life, I lost my job, got fucked out of my house, and ended up on anti-depressants...not exacly a good return for a few thousand pounds worth of drugs and nightclubbing...Anyway now after my second detox in hospital I havnt had x for 2 months (a long time 4 me) and I am not going to have it again or any other amphetamines for that matter and guess what I feel much better now because I have a stable mood, fuck all anxiety, depression or paranoia just a normal existance which I prefer to being up and down all the time. So remember boys and girls x can be fun but it can also fuck you up bigtime so just be safe. I am not the only person I know who has had problems with E.

Hey Kronstrom....
I am also taking Celexa, but I'm waiting until I'm off of them to roll. I just don't want to chance it. Anyway, I'm going to be taken off them at the end of the month, so then I'll be good to go. Just to be safe, I wouldn't do it if I were you. And since we are in similar situations (both taking the same thing) I would recommend that you wait until you are off them. Better to be safe!!!
PurpleRaven

well to tell you the truth i'm not even on celexa yet
but i'm supposed to start them this week
my doc said that it was better to just not take them the day before and after but i'm a bit scared all the same.....
i'm not ready to stop rolling until i'm off them because i'll be on them for a while.....
i know it's not the saffest thing in the world but all the same , rolling is too fun.....
i'm wondering if any has bad experiences or anything of the sort......
thanx to all for the suggestions.....they are not just words without importance to my eyes....
spank u!
ciao

Kronstorm - it's not that it's dangerous rolling when on an SSRI, it's just that you won't roll very well. Trust me on this one. I've swallowed several pills in a night when on an SSRI, and all they did was keep me awake. I would have got the same buzz off a coupla caffeine pills and some decent tunes.
You'd just be wasting your money, seriously.
Take a look at this thread or at least the first post. It's a bit heavy going, but worth it if you want to find out what's going on with your brain, SSRIs, and MDMA.
[ 13 January 2002: Message edited by: Simon ]

Just a caution guys.. I have no citations to back me up, but I would be careful about using 5-htp while on SSRIs. 5-htp helps your brain produce more seretonin, SSRIs stop the seretonin from being transported away from the synapse. Sounds like a possible seretonin syndrome risk to me, so maybe do some research or ask some questions from qualified ppl before you jump on the 5-htp bandwagon while you're on SSRIs. Using any "alternative" medicines while on prescriptions (especially if they are to treat the same thing) always always needs to be discussed with your doctor.

Ketone sounds like he generally knows what he's talking about.
L-5-HTP is DEFINATELY good stuff. Unfortunately its illegal to sell it in Australia, however it is legal to import it for personal use so get some frends together and buy some on the net.
My advice is to take a bit before, during and after your pill to help maintain your serotonin levels and hence prevent some damage.

actually regarding 5-htp, its legal to sell it in queensland but only to people who reside in queensland (online)..(no other states at this time are are allowed to sell it.
I wouldn't be naughty and advise that it would eb a good idea to get a friend/understanding relative to purchase it online who lives in qld and sned it on to you if you wan't to get the package quicker...

if your gonna roll then ur gonna roll but if ya feel depressed after u roll dont cry or get pissed off cuz ya did it to urself,, i myself ive felt very depressed the day and days after taking X but soon u feel better,, or at least i did,, but if u r already on medicine for depression i would suggest no to the x. about a month ago we took my friend to the hospital at 6 in the morning cuz she thought she was dying,, she only had 2 of these pills though,, and normally she has more,she had absolutely no feelings for anything or anyone and just a different person,, wasnt cool so if u feel depressed from x and u go on medicine dont go on the x,, cuz then u take more pills to roll and u really get messed up,, but in a bad way..
...heres a glass of oranje juice lets go X it out....

Hi this is my first post so please forgive me if i say something stupid or "uncool"! ;)
Anywayz, i've always been uptight, never really been able to express myself well. shy.
I was with my gf for about 5 years before she turned around and decided she didnt love me anymore. As u would expect this really cut me up and i was drinking up every night, mad depressed and suicidal. This shit lasted for about a month before i met little miss "e". I fogot what it was like to happy! im serious. Now im so full of life and happy! It was like the e taught my brain how to feel happy again. ive done it twice now, but the thing is even when im off it, im happy.
Im aware of the dangers of MDMA but isnt it strange how they dont say too much about the good effects of it. I would be depressed and prob dead if it wasnt for it.
And yes moderation is the key.
As you guys say "PLUR"! RESPECT YO'LL!

Having carefully scanned your message, I've determined that it is "cool" enough to remain in this forum ;)
Seriously, don't worry about it - if someone flames you for your post, they're the one with the problem - this is New 2 XTC - no questions or comments are stupid, provided you're willing to learn...
Anyway, I totally agree with what you wrote about E helping you with emotional problems and making you happier. The only thing to be aware of is, if you do too much of it, it'll end up having the opposite effects.
For me: a few pills changed my outlook on life and made me happier and more outgoing.
A few pills a week, every week, made me more depressed than I could have ever imagined.
Stopping for a while, then rolling only occaisionally - all good. :)

OK well I've been rolling for 5 yrs now, I havnt touched it since the end of last summer because I just havnt been wanting to do it much anymore. However I am not going to tell other to not do it at all. Just because its not right for you doesnt mean its not right for everyone. Moderation, education, and responsibility is key.

Hi. You will be better soon. Alot of it is in your head. Your making yourself feel more and more depressed. Get up everyday and decide, to either have a good day and be happy and take whatever problems that come to you and say to yourself, "I can handle these things". Or you can get up and decide be miserable for the rest of the day. It's your choice. There are people out there who do drugs for years and years, and heavy drugs at that. And it may take some time but they even begin to feel normal again. And another thing, I used to take effexor xr, and I hated it. I hated the way it made me feel. It's a new drug and they really don't know that much about it but of course they say they do. It made me feel like I was crazy. It gave me the shakes, crazy dreams, one good thing is that I lost like 10 pounds but that's about it. And when I tried to come off of it, I had to wean myself. That sucked. I'd tell your doctor to put you on something different. My friend takes zoloft and she is doing great. I'm sure it works better. But that's just my opinion and the way I reacted to the drug. By the way, I'm not an e head or anything, I may do it like once a year not even. But I think that you'll be okay. Start eating really healthy and exercising and I bet you'll start feeling better in no time. Take some vitamins on a daily basis. Brain cells do grow back, it's proven. So please don't worry!! Leslie

Actually, brain cells are the only kind of cell in the body that *don't* grow back.
But nerve cells do.

Harlequin: I think I saw somewhere recently that they now think brain cells can grow back.
At any rate, in the case of MDMA, the damage that you have to look out for is to the serotonin receptor axions. It's known that these do grow back if destroyed - but they grow back in a different shape. Jury's still out as to whether this means anything or not.

I've rolled many times. And as anyone who has rolled knows, that there is a recovery period period. Not a recovery period like that of taking hallucinogens (which is trying get a grasp on reality again), but a recovery period of decreased serotonin levels. This can have two consequences, not necessarily mutually exclusive.
I will first explain what MDMA does. In simple terms, it 'tells' your neurons (particularly the serotonergic neurons)to release serotonin at an accelerated rate. The extent to the degree of this acceleration I am not sure is known. Neurons, however, do not have an infinite amount of serotonin to continue excreting. Also an experienced roller knows that there is a come down, you don't just drop (so to speak). This says that your neurons are not completely depleted of its stores (pre-packaged vacuoles anchored to the inner surface of the cell-membrane). Of course, during this time, serotonin is also being made. But to be made, it needs its precursors (the primary precursor to serotonin happens to be 5-Hydroxytryptophan (and actually, serotonin is the name for 5-Hydroxytryptamine). I am not going to go into the chemistry, but 5-HTryptophan is the direct precursor to 5-HTryptamine. Now you might see how 5-HTryptophan,
5-HT that everyone is raving about says helps. But they don't always help, but I will talk about that later. I want to get back to the recovery of the decreased serotonin levels.
There is a physiological response and a psychological response. The physiological response is decreased output from serotonergic neurons. This results from fewer pre-packaged vacuoles ready for release. The post-synaptic neuron (the neuron that is to receive the message once the serotonin binds to it), therefore tells the neuron that is supposed to be sending a certain amount of serotonin into the synaptic cleft, its not doing it and to send more. Then that system slowly adjusts to the new input of serotnin levels and adjusts its output accordingly (this gets a little complicated, if you want more details on this particular topic, post a question, or e-mail me personally). So, in short, your brain is working with lower serotonin levels. Serotonin is believed to be the most important neurotransmitter in stabilizing mood. That is why most mood stabilizers have their action through serotonergic pathways.
(Sort of OT, but important. In JCs case {a previous post}, I would say his doctor prescribed him Effexor XR (its trade name), Venlafaxine (its chemical name), to increase the amount of serotonin in his synaptic clefts to "repair the imbalance" and raise his serotonin levels to the 'proper'levels. Effexor (Effexor XR just stands for Effexor extended release) is a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) that inhibits the action of the transport carriers that recycle the serotonin once released into the cleft. This ultimatley raises the amount of serotonin in the cleft. However, I will continue to talk to JC personally about this one, if he so chooses.)
That pretty much was the physiological aspect. The psychological apsect can have two sources.
(1)Simply coping with the decrease serotonin levels. Your mood is affected by this decrease.
(2)Having the feeling that you have just had a very fun time and now the fun is over. (That was worded poorly). I can explain this a little more through philosophy than I can through psychology. Some philosophers say that the capacity you have to feel joy or happiness, you also have the same capacity to feel depression or sadness. In mathematical terms, however far you can go in the positive direction on the x-axis (happines, joy), you can go that far negative on the x-axis (depression, sadness). Now let me try to re-iterate my previous statement, once you feel really amzaing while you're rolling, it is ultimately the effect of the MDMA and its actions. After the come down and a couple of hours later, you are moving from very positive x-axis toward the origin (0) really fast. Chances are you are going to overshoot. When you loose that feeling of goodness and peace and love and all the good things that come with rolling, you can sort of feel a little empty.
(Now why the physiological repsonse may not be mutually exclusive from the the psychological one because it is difficult to test whether the person is just coping with the idea that he is not as happy as he was or she was not as at peace as she was, or if the actual decrease in serotonin output has caused these feelings to begin with. This also gets complicated, e-mail me with questions if you have any)
I know this is quite long guys, I'm trying to wrap it up. So basically I've told you the physiological response and the psychological response. Different people respond differently to there environment (I will stretch this to say the way they feel). Meaning, some people can feel crappy because of aforementioned reasons and bounce right back. Some take a little longer to get back to feeling normal (or as I will say in this case ok. only you know if you are doing ok). Unfurtunatley, with increased use, prolonged use, and higher dosing, the system may be affected permanently, meaning you can be one of those people who use to bounce right back, now you aren't 'recovering' as quickly (The brain however is not really permamanent. Their is the concept of plasticity of the brain. But their is a point where normality (feeling ok) may not be acheivable again).
Here again, is this a question of a physiological response or a psychological one. The fact that some people can 'bounce back' while others can't. So all of these factors affect recovery period. I think the more you know about how your system is doing you gage your proper dosage for next time (assuming whatever you are doing is LEGAL)and know what to expect of the recovery phase. If you know what to expect of the recovery phase (not just what people have told you, but from what you've experienced (because no one knows you better than you)) it won't be so bad. It can still be bad, but a large portion of the psycholgical aspect is somewhat removed by the fact that you have experienced it before. Then it almost becomes completely about the physiological aspect.
Now to 5-HTryptophan. There are questions of the effects of 5-Htryptophan. There is no question as to whether it is the precursor to serotonin, but there are many steps between taking 5-Htryptophan pills and actually have the serotonin release significantly increased. The pill goes through the digestive tract. The compound enters your bloodstream and go TO the brain. It does not necessarily get in. There is a tight layer of epithelium cells surrounding the blood vessels and areteries of the brain that allow only very small molecules to pass. Anyone can understand that this is a good thing. That is why glucose is the brains primary energy source, it's a relatively small molecule. other large molecules have carriers.. but I digress...Let's continue and say some of the 5-HTryptophan entered the brain and was able to be used by neurons. The enzymes that convert 5-HTryptophan into sreotonin are saturable, meaning they can only operate so quickly. Then the serotonin has to be transported and "docked" to the inner lining of the cell membrane. And so on.
I believe that a very small percentage actually gets into the brain to increase the production AND release of serotonin significantly. Even if you increase the amount of the supplement taken orally, by the time you take enough to reach the saturable rates of the enzymes in your brain (you're taking alot because of the blood-brain barrier dreasing the amount that actually gets in), you would experience severe gastrointestinal problems because that are serotonergic neurons in the digestive system as well.
Now there is, of course, the placebo affect. And this is where the question comes in. Could the idea of someone taking 5-HTtryptophan help them to feel better. I was amazed to find that some people actually thought that 5-HTryptophan was serotonin. IT ISN'T. And even those that know it is a precursor can think it helps (not necessarily knowing how.)But in the long run, after rolling, steady and low doses of
5-Htryptophan can only help.
I think I've answered a few questions here, and raised a couple of more in your minds...I am a neuroscientist by the way. I am new to the group. Hello all. I'm tired now, I am going to bed.