• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

please read, and please stop rolling!

jc3899

Bluelighter
I had rolled for about 2 years on and off on weekends. And now I am screwed up from it. Anxiety, depression, memory, loss of motivation, and just hate life sometimes. So my doc put me on effexor xr. While I do feel better do you know of anyway that I can find out how much I have damaged my brain. Because I know I have damaged it. Is there a test or something that can be run. I don't want to be on anti- depressants for ever, but I probably will be. If I don't kill myself first. I need to know what type of damage i have done and what i can do to get some of it back. My doc just gave me a script and told me to stop doing E. Which I did stop back in May, but it seems that as time goes on I just feel worse and worse. Please help, jay

I've been rolling for a few years as well and I wanted to ask you a few questions as well as advice. First off, my bf and I do a lot of research on cases and effects so I am educated on what it does. Second, please don't say anything about killing yourself, no one is that hopeless. BL chat is wonderful, if you can take the assraping. =o)
How many were you taking at a time when you did roll? Was it a problem to where you felt like you needed it? Has your doctor actually shown you pictures of your brain so that you could see the damage for yourself?
There's a vitamin that's basically serotonin in a capsule. It's supposed to be used as a dietary suppliment but it helps the serotonin in your brain become restored to a natural level. You can find it at GNC or basically any health store it's called L-5-HTP or L-5-hydroxyTrytophan. If you want to do research or even ask your doctor about it it might be able to help you.
I'm sure that your doctor has told you or if you've done your homework on ecstasy that you get depressed, tempramental, or easily upset partly because of low levels of serotonin. If your doctor has actually shown you pictures of the damaged part of your brain, and if the medicine that he has you on is supposed to help restore these, ask to see progress.
If he hasn't shown you proof that your brain is turning into mush, he might be scaring you into stopping. Which sounds to me like a very good idea if you know that you feel more depressed lately, heavy mood swings, getting emotional out of nowhere and over something miniscule. Ask your doctor what he thinks you can do besides the anti depressants to help you restore yourself back to the old you.

hey ive been feeling the same hey its not good !!
get off em ive had a few weeks off now n it helps even though im depressed from missing it !
do u need prescription for these L-5 thingys tranceaddikt?
thinking they might be of help to me!
take care though n things are never as bad as they seem jc!

well i am new to rolling
even the term is new to me....
but i hapened to find the real stuff cuz i didn't want to put just anything that was handed to me into my body.....
but i abused
three weeks in a row
even the purest is not full proof to the down that followed
the first 2 weeks no problem but this last thursday, i wanted to die
i did some on new years be the monday night/tuesday morning...
and thursday night i wanted to die!
no more 4 me 4 a while....
and i was already on effexor for a few months for alterior purposes and stoped but i decided to start up a bit now that i feel my life i pretty low......
the 5-htp thing i have heard about and have had different comments - some good , some bad....
if anybody can add some sugestions to stoping for a while i'd appreciate...

there is nothing wrong with deciding to stop, but the majority of the ones talkin about stoppin seem all to be abusing, moderation is the key to having fun with e, not doing it every weekend unless you want to be fried, the point is space them out and you enjoy it much more

I don't know what kind of an antidepressant you were on, kronstrom, but if you are on any kind rolling is NOT advised. It's obvious you already have some issues with depression and the delicate chemical balance in your brain. Stopping, and then using MDMA which severely tweaks with that balance, is really not advise and will lead to bad things.
PLEASE read this forum more, and also watch the slideshow that shows you what E does to your brain at http://www.dancesafe.org/slideshow/, and do not mix antidepressants. It is a very dangerous combination that occassionally occurs in a fatality when you combine some antidepressants and MDMA (I forgot which one, whether it's an SSRI or MAO-I since I'm not on any antidepressants)
[ 06 January 2002: Message edited by: NoodleGurl ]

Damage, damage, damage the big question!!!
Well in a nut shell no one knows for sure. One piece of research says that yes Seratonin receptors are damaged which can lead to depression etc. Another piece of research has said yes damage occurs but this damage is repaired over time. A another piece of research as further stated that no damage is done simply because a che,ical is not present which usually is when brain damage occurs.
So simply jc3899 no one can tell you if you have and by how much damage may have occured. But a lesson to everyone, moderation is a good idea.

To answer the question of whether or not you need a scrip. for L-5-HTP, no you don't. Like I said it's found in any health store. This doesn't cure, but it slowly restores.
I would recommend these to anybody who rolls but the best advice I can give is to learn moderation. Serotin heals itself over time but these helps the process go a tad bit faster and makes you feel tons better. I would also recommend Vit. C pills to accompany the L-5-HTP. I check back here every few days, so sorry to just now be able to get to questions.

Originally posted by mindblowin24:
there is nothing wrong with deciding to stop, but the majority of the ones talkin about stoppin seem all to be abusing, moderation is the key to having fun with e, not doing it every weekend unless you want to be fried, the point is space them out and you enjoy it much more
DEFINITELY!!! when u do e like once every month, or every few months, its so much more explosive and better, when your brain has fully been given time to replace the lost serotonin, the next time is soooo good, better than every weekend thing, thats just abuse.

Well this is my first post, I really like this community, very cozy.
You need not stop taking MDMA you just need to treat it as it should be treated. Here's some info:
- 5-HTP is good stuff, you can preload with several hundred mgs before you drop but understand this will increase the neurotoxicity.
-So it's best to take it during and after your roll to replenish low serotonin levels.
-5-HTP can be bought at any health food store or online, stay away from GNC they triple the price of any other place.
- MAOI's combined with MDMA (or MDA) will induce serotonin syndrome and camn kill you.
-However if you are on more common anti-depressants (SSRI's like Prozac,Paxil) you may not even fell the drug as it blocks absorbtion.
-If you aren't on a course of antidepressants it is advisable to take one dose of an SSRI like Prozac during your roll. This acts to block the neurotoxic effects.
-There is no evidence that normal doses cause neurotoxicity anyways. Stick to 1 or 1.5 pills, and space out the occasions you drop(1 month min).
-The biggest rule: If you need to do more than 1.5-2 pills 150-200mgs to get high you need to slow down, take a break or whatever.
-I've known people that have done 10-15 pills in a day, these people will have a degenerative brain disorder before they are 50.
-So space it out and keep the doses low, you will be able to enjoy it for the rest of your (non depressed)life.
later,
ketone

Ketone: some wise words there (except I don't think pre-loading with 5-HTP will increase neurotoxicity).
Kronstorm: Without wishing to trivialise the way you feel, I'd say that's a fairly normal after-efect of MDMA. If it lasts more than a week or so, you might want to talk to a professional about the way you are feeling. But mid-week comedowns after rolling are very common. If you're suffering from them, it's up to you to decide whether the highs are worth the lows.
jc3889: As Airwalk said, we don't know exactly what the potential long-term damage of MDMA is. My subjective experience is that after taking a break of six months or so (and some anti-depressants) I was back to normal. My moods are pretty much stable and my memory (which was a bit shaky) is fine. And I still roll occaisionally.
So I don't see any reason why you won't be back to normal soon.
You might also want to post something about your experience in the Dark Side forum, which was set up by and for people in your situation. You'll definitely get a lot of support there :)

I feel its time for me to quit also. Been rolling for almost a year and a half. Didn't really abuse it, but getting tired of it all. Feeling like shit the next day and sleepin all day isn't fun for me. It isn't worth the six hours the night before. Yeah, I do have to say, its fun, and the feeling is omg, but there is a time to say no more. I'm not gonna go thur my life doing drugs, but I'm not going to down anyone for doing it either. I haven't noticed any problems except I lose my temper easier. I get mad so much easier than before I started. I have a friend who just started taking e, and I keep telling her moderation is the key, but what does new people do, go out whenever they can, and drop a pill. She will regret it too later on when it starts catching up with her.

Hi im new to the discussion board and also to E. From my own experiance, considering that I started rolling on 12-21=01 and have ate 8 rolls in the time period of which it is now 1-8-02 I dammaged my head alot in that time period. I got on here started to ask questions. I was lead to the 5htp suppliment because out of those first 7 rolls I only rolled once. I took the 5htp for the next week 2 a day with a meal as directed and was able to roll for New Years Eve.
That is Living proof that the 5htp suppliment works. But not to be abused in order to roll. I had my fun and im listening to these people on the board its time for a break 2 to 3 months. My answer to the first queston posted is to at least try the 5htp and ask your doctor for a catscan so you know how much of your brain you have damaged.
A roll 20-30 bucks 60 capsules of htp 26 bucks. Give em a try.
Dave

Refering to Simons comment about 5-HT preloading: Yes I geuss I have no references to back it up but I'm just going by the thought that more can be less safe. Post loading to bring your levels up and loading during your roll is highly reccomended. As is taking an SSRI during your roll. I've personally taken Paxil on several occasions(one tab only during the trip) and I can tell you it works! Less hollow feeling the next day, better recovery.
I also regard E as a special (maybe sacred) substance. I don't like doing it at parties anymore. This is utterly unthinkable for some people (like a girl I recently started seeing) but I like to have a clear head, and remembrance of the great people I met. The last time I did E was at home with my ex whom I was with for 2 years just before she left for Taiwan semi permanently. We had an amazing night, and worked out all the tricky crap that goes with such a situation.
later,
ketonE

Time1: Don't let it get out of hand. Rolling 8 times within 2-3 weeks? Where did the moderation go? Don't think that you can roll that much and then take 5HTP and think you're fine in that amount of time. Take pills sensibly, wait a while before you do it again. The waiting period isn't that bad if you think about what it might do to your body if you don't.

5-HTP is good to restore that seratonin. Don't do E to get "fucked up" I read about this drug for about a year before taking it. I used to have problems expressing myself and being honest with myself. I only do it once in a blue moon. If you feel like you're depressed and E is the cause of this, you need to either take a long break or not do it at all. If you let the drugs control you then...just say NO. I myself had to take a long break because I didn't know about 5-HTP and I was getting a little carried away with E...hey it was the new thing for me back then. I think everyone goes through that stage. You ask yourself every time after you roll, "when am I going to quit?" You find yourself asking that same questions then next couple of weekends too. Just be moderate about anything you take. Too much of something IS bad. Ok...I think i'm rambling on here.
*Priscilla*

Guys, if you actually NEED to take 5-HTP just so you CAN roll, there is a serious problem.
That's all I have to say.