• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Please help me - Should I do the rapid detox procedure?

ellicat

Greenlighter
Hi everyone,
I really need some advice, from people who have gone through this or doctors or anyone that knows anything about this from personal experience. I have been addicted to Oxycodone for 2 years now and am currently using Fentanyl patches due to the fact that oxy is much more expensive and harder to obtain. I just want to say that I don't take these opiates to get a high but because my body hurts if I don't take them. A few years back I got into a bad car accident and ever since I have been on oxy however I did have a breakthrough where I stopped taking it for 2 years (due to cold turkey) but unfortunately I relapsed. I felt like I always wanted to be high but now its just physical pain and I desperately want to get off of them. I can't do cold turkey again, that was the worst nightmare ever and also I can't due to work.

I recently have discovered rapid detox and have found a place in MI however after reading threads on here and doing lots of research on it, I am seriously unsure. I am a fairly healthy person and honestly I am interested in this procedure because it promises a "quick fix" which I know isn't completely true. I also take Ambien and Xanax which I would love to get off of one day as well but the opiates are my main concern right now. After reading about it, I found out many people still experience withdrawal symptoms after the procedure (something that the center told me would not happen) and that once the people wake up, they throw up to the point of blood and are sick for roughly a month. The reason as to why I collected the ten grand for this procedure is because I want to be clean when I wake up from the anesthesia and not have any withdrawal symptoms.

I guess my question here is if it's worth it? The ten grand is huge money to me and I can't stay home for a month after this rapid detox because I am a single mom and I have to work. Please let me know what you guys think, any comment, suggestions, and advice are welcome. I also want to get clean as soon as possible, I can't do this to myself anymore.

rapid detox is the biggest ripoff i have seen in a long time, all you are paying for are the two nights you spend in the hospital. and good luck getting insurance to pay for any of it, much less all of it. they administer the same drug that's contained in suboxone, which is naloxone. but naloxone cannot teach your brain to release the very neurotransmitters naturally that are absent when withdrawing from opiates, only time can do that.

true. i highly advise against this scam.
you will wake up and feel like crap. u may have skipped the first day or two of serious physical withdrawal.. but thats the easiest part to get thru. you still need to teach your body and mind to function without opiates. its a long process. expect to go thru AT LEAST a month of serious pain and discomfort. with very little sleep thru all of it. this will be the same, wether u drop the 10gs or not. if your ready to stop, you can do it.. try to taper down as much as u can, and just jump off. u will go thru hell.. but the freedom u will gain is worth every bit of suffering.

Why not just go to regular detox? Have you ever tried it? I went and basically slept thru the first 72 hours (thanks to the phenobarbital). It was the easiest wd I ever had. I mean yeah I slept and sweated and was kind of delirious like when you have a fever, but I wasn't dope sick at all.

Try regular detox, let insurance pay for it, and use that money for something you really need. Or a great Christmas for your family :)

I asked about rapid detox at my doc's in the UK. It's a 5 day thing here but no longer an option on the NHS cause of the failure/relapse rates being terribly high.

Save your cash, wean down and swap to buprenorphine, methadone or Kratom. It helps alot of people in the US.

Definetly do not spend 10gs on that procedure. It is a waste of money and you will regret it, and most likely relapse due to the anger and stress of it not working. I know regular detox sucks, but if you want to quit, then that is the best way. it is gonna suck but get some suboxone and some good weed and you will get through it. Zanax also helps alot. Good luck man

Yup, agreed on all points on all posts below. Don't spend $10,000 on this. You can do it yourself at home with a little willpower (well, a lot actually, but the exchange rate between willpower and dollars is in your favor here). As many have pointed out, buprenorphine will really help you. Short of that, some xanax, diazepam or clonazepam will help you sleep (insomnia is probably the worst symptom of withdrawal).

There's no need for this expensive "supervised rapid detox". DIY.

If you have 10 grand, why the hell would you waste it this way? Buy yourself some kratom and suboxone, problem solved. Start with a couple days of sub, then switch to kratom and lower your dose every day and then jump off. You wont feel well or a few days and you wont sleep well after you jump but you will be fine (much better than after this rapid detox scam) and you can do the whole thing for under a $100.

Worst case scenario you will lack the willpower to jump off even in which case being on a very low dose of kratom daily is way better than an oxy habit. It is SO much easier to lower ones kratom dose vs trying to taper other opiates.

A short buprenorphine taper (or kratom - i've never used it but some people have tapered and detoxed with it successfully) would be much better in my opinion.
I've not really heard anything positive about these kinds of detox programs.

They sound like a quick-fix at best, if not dangerous quackery.

Detox/acute withdrawal is just the first stage of the journey!

You would be better off doing a normal detox or going on suboxone (buprenorphine/naloxone)
The doctor will help you taper down gradually to where it won't be quite as awful when you finally do wean off, but its still going to be hard. Good luck

kinda off topic but was mentioned in OP sorta. ive heard withdrawals/getting off of xanax can be worse than opiates. any truth to that?

kinda off topic but was mentioned in OP sorta. ive heard withdrawals/getting off of xanax can be worse than opiates. any truth to that?

they are much worse because opiate withdrawal only lasts a few weeks/month. benzo withdrawal can last for years. it has taken me about six years to recover from xanax and im still not 100%

it's highly unlikely that someone will develop a dependency for benzos during the short amount of time you will be using them to aid in an opiate withdrawal. of course everyone is different, but the odds are low. unless of course you decide to throw getting clean out the window and trade a opiate addiction for a benzo addiction by continuing use of benzos, in which case you would've been much better off with the former poison.

If you haven't used suboxone before or at least for a long time I would highly recommend it. For me when I went to a detox for H it was a miracle cure: they gave it to me for a couple days (16mgs a day for 2 days- I think the schedule could have been better but they used high dose for a short time so it would build up and wear off over a few days- I would do more like 2mgs every hour until you feel better (and wait until you are SICK with large pupils) then do like a 5 day taper) and I literally probably only had 5% of the normal discomfort. PAWs could still be a problem but would be with rapid detox as well.

Now suboxone maintanence is different- you use it long enough to become dependant on it (I am on it but am considering switching to methadone maintanence) and due to its diminishing rate of returns it is effective at LOW doses so you should actually go very low to get off it (I would use volumetric dist. to get down to like 25mcgs a day before coming off- and if I still had problems I'd go even lower).