• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Photography Photography Thread vs. BL Shutterbugs unite!

I know I posted this guy's link in the lens recommendation thread, but it's worth a mention here as well. This is one of my favorite Flickr members, all he has is a Nikon D40, Sigma 10-20mm, and a Sigma 50-150 f2.8. For those of you considering the D40, or any entry-level DSLR and don't think you'll good results without spending thousands of dollars, think again...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markgibson/

This can be a testament to third-party glass, too. Some will say you roll the dice with brands like Sigma and Tamron, but I guess you can get a lemon with ANY manufacturer.

definately, unless you are a really good photographer and I mean technically also, you arent gonna get much more out of top line DSLRs flexibility in terms of functions etc. A proffessional photographer could take wicked shots with almost any camera.

I seem to go nuts about photography and learn/teach myself heaps about it when I travel, then almost forget it all :!

Yeah, thx BA, that does look like a great value, low f-stop and shoots video too, only $200! Canon is a good company. It's a little bigger than I'd like but could be used around home and as a backup. MACRO is also VERY important 4 me.

The zoom on my Panasonic is useless 'cause it doesn't focus well in infinity. . . like many times I see boats in the distance I'd like to zoom in on but doesn't work in any of the AF modes. Even scenery at MAX zoom is blurry.

How 'bout you all? Does your ($300 or less) camera zoom in and focus well on small objects in the distance at MAX zoom?

Here's an example of lousy focus at MAX zoom:

2307774201_ca900f2b34_m.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/666ismoney/2307774201/

EDIT: At flickr they want U to "link back" the pics to the original.

Last edited:
It's important to remember optical zoom is not the same as digital zoom. You start to get into pixely, distorted images when you dip into the digital zoom range. On most point and shoots (at least on the various ones I've owned) once you reach the end of your optical zoom it then becomes digital and you should see this on your LCD screen. Your "best" zoom will be at the long end of your optical zoom range.

A point and shoot camera with a an ultra zoom is rarely going perform very well at it's extreme end. There are so many megapixels crammed into a tiny sensor that the diffraction of light causes poor colour reproduction and is most noticed when trying to photograph objects a long distance away. This is not a so much of a problem when the lens is zoomed back and wide open.

Oh god I am out of control, somebody stop me, that 0% interest platinum card is on fire.

Can you spot my new camera? ;)

2who5ci.jpg

2uonn7b.jpg

Edit, Oh, I see Nikon released CaptureNX2 this week, FYI.

BA said:
Oh god I am out of control, somebody stop me, that 0% interest platinum card is on fire.

Can you spot my new camera? ;)

2who5ci.jpg

2uonn7b.jpg

Edit, Oh, I see Nikon released CaptureNX2 this week, FYI.

Nice grab farken! Best cropped sensor camera on the market by far! Although I am very happy my newly acquired 5D, full frame opens a whole new world.

I bought a Canon 50mm F/1.2L to finally fill out my lens collection. It's very diffiuclt to use, but the keepers are totally worth it. Now all I need are some graduated ND filters, a better flash and a secure tripod.

Wow, some great gear on BL! Congrats BA on the awesome body and Raving Loony on the awesome body/lens combo! One day I hope to join you both in owning the gear I really want. :D

Thanks! I am DONE buying for a while. Although today I did buy a 4GB Lexar Pro UDMA 300X CF card. =D

Raving Loony said:
Best cropped sensor camera on the market by far! Although I am very happy my newly acquired 5D, full frame opens a whole new world.
hi RL. what do you mean by that, please? :)

So I just got back in from my first wedding shooting with the D300 and all I can say is WOW. I mean, being able to set AUTO ISO sensitivity max 1600 and still get SHARP images with hardly any noise gives me wood. The battery is awesome on it so far. I shot 770+ shots with flash (sometimes wirelessly) and used up 1 bar of battery power. Fast and responsive, sharp and clear, I love that thing.

On the Sigma 50-150 I recently bought: I dropped it while changing lenses and it still works good. However, it was giving me fits focusing today and I kept going back to my 50mm 1.8 tonight. I tested it out again at home and it worked fine - so who knows..

Is that supposed to be the Nikon D60 rival? Or is that the XSi?

123sfao.jpg
xmtvua.jpg

wl2gya.jpg
2cerluf.jpg
2a948xc.jpg

So the full frame D700 should be announced tomorrow (7/1) and should drop the D300 & D3 prices me thinks. Glad I have all DX lenses, otherwise I'd be tempted to go FX and get a reduced D3 maybe. I'm still in love with the D300 but FF would be nice to accomodate a real 18-200mm lens. The above shots are some from recent weddings I've been shooting. :)

Great shots, BA!

I think that if you put an 18-200 lens on the D3 or D700, you'd soon realize why people spend twice as much money (or more) on a lens with half the range, or on a bag full of primes. (Is there an 18-200 lens that's full frame?)

finally got some money in the bank, so my first bit of retail therapy was to order a Canon EOS 450D complete with the 18-55mm lens, as well as a 4GB SD card and a Canon case. :)

Canon-450D.png

can't wait! :D

i have read everything you Nikon advocates have posted here, and it was all appreciated. but i've had a loan of my brother's 400D a few times and just fell in love with it. plus i'm a Canon person anyway, so brand loyalty kicked in too. ;)