• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Phenibut - 10 Years Experience - A Comprehensive Long-Term Synopsis and Usage Guide

The FAA seems about 25% more potent by weight IME. I do prefer it to the hcl just for the reduced acidity. I eat a tums when I take it too. Phenibut is just generally rough gerd-wise.

imo it's better to take phenibut once in a while in large doses with or without stims / psychedelics rather than use it as a everyday tool. I wasted a lot of it as a sleep-aid. I mean it works great for sleep but such a waste of high / tolerance.

I have tried phenibut like 5 times now and i get absolutely nothing from it. Low dose, high dose, nada. 😩

what dosages are we talking about here?

EDIT: also it must have some action on NMDA receptors as i clearly remember (and have also written it down) it used to make me experience time-dilation just like dissos do.

Last edited:
Yeah I think you have to take a decent size dose before you can feel it. Was taking 250/500mg here and there for a bit and really didn't feel anything. After a decent dose....boom. And now those same 250/500mg doses feel pretty good probably since I know what I am looking for.

Is it just me, or does phenibut give massive munchies? Eat a ton when I take it.

imo it's better to take phenibut once in a while in large doses with or without stims / psychedelics rather than use it as a everyday tool. I wasted a lot of it as a sleep-aid. I mean it works great for sleep but such a waste of high / tolerance.

what dosages are we talking about here?

EDIT: also it must have some action on NMDA receptors as i clearly remember (and have also written it down) it used to make me experience time-dilation just like dissos do.
First tried 500 mg, then 1 g, 2 g a couple times and if there were any effects they weren’t anything i could notice. I did use it as a sleep aid twice and while it didn’t make me go to sleep any quicker i did feel like i slept even deeper than i normally do. I have a high opiate tolerance and take adderall & alprazolam daily, in smallish prescribed amounts. Not sure if that could be why and I would have to push for a higher dose, but i thought 2 grams was on the high side.

2 grams should probably do something, you could try raising it a little more to 2.5g and see if that breaks you through. Phenibut is hard to dose right because just a little bit not enough and it doesn't do much, and it's also easy to go too high.

Yeah I think you have to take a decent size dose before you can feel it. Was taking 250/500mg here and there for a bit and really didn't feel anything. After a decent dose....boom. And now those same 250/500mg doses feel pretty good probably since I know what I am looking for.

Is it just me, or does phenibut give massive munchies? Eat a ton when I take it.

Yeah I get serious munchies from phenibut, for sure.

Phenibut is definitely a drug that I had to "learn" before small doses did it for me. I took 750mg-2g per dose for years until one day, 500mg was almost too much. Now, I take anywhere from 250mg-750mg.

It's a weird one for sure. Halfway through my first 100g batch of the FAA and I'm still not quite set on a choice dosage. I usually opt for about 750mg though.

Effective dosage seems to be highly variable between individuals. I find the sweet spot for me is generally 1500mg of Phenibut hcl; I've never gone over 2000mg. For the first year I used it though, 500-750mg was perfect; I may have mild perma-tolerance now.

Not sure if I'll order more, I find it pretty habit forming so haven't taken any for 3-4 months. Also, if I combined it with alcohol (do not recommend), I'd become too disinhibited and say/do things I'd regret.

Phenibut is one of the best sex drugs, it's similar to GHB in the way it improves desire and performance, inferior to GHB, but similar.

Is it?? Shit, yeah I need to buy a lifetime supply fo sho.

Yeahhh... been putting it off but it's time to drop a few hundred $$$ and be sure I have some. I don't ever really use it myself these days, the acidity is bad for my IBS. But my wife loves the stuff, she took 750mg this morning and has been way friendlier than her normal sober self lol

It's pretty fantastic stuff when you learn how to use it right. Also the only drug that I've been addicted to that I can actually use normally without problems, I don't find it compulsive at all. I love it very much though. Gonna take some tomorrow before I play a show in fact. Looking forward to it.

I'm trying to figure out how to get off of this stuff.

4 grams every night, for the past 6 years. Actually I'm "down" to 4g/night (from higher doses).

I don't get any especially enjoyable effects for it nor have I ever really. Occasionally i'll get some nice music enhancing mania but its pretty rare. I only resorted to phenibut after taking 900mg/day of pregabalin for a few years, then tapering down, switching to gabapentin, then stopping. I was fine during the day but couldnt sleep for months (an hour or two, maximum, per night for around 90 days and I couldn't take it any longer). I've been taking phenibut ever since.

Granted given my past as a notorious drug addict, this is by comparison, quite sober by my standards. Still this phenibut feels like its sucking the ambition out of me. Pregabalin was even worse in that regard, it puts you in this nihilistic mindset.

I need to get more serious about getting off this shit, every time I try to taper I get hit with some heavy anxiety, thinking about switching to f- phenibut or baclofen. I'm sure getting off this shit would be life changing. I feel like I'm living in a perpetual phenibut hangover. Recently I had forgotten I had taken my nightly 4g of phenibut and took another 4g, for a total of 8g. The next day I felt so gross and sedated, also very nauseated and irritable. I was incapacitated. I realized, "shit, I'm feeling half this awful everyday"

Last edited:
You probably ARE living in a perpetual phenibut state, as phenibut lasts 24 hours easily at that dose. I guess some people don't get much recreation from it, for me 4 grams is too much, if I take 2-2.5g I get a really nice hypomanic euphoria, become very talkative and extremely outgoing/socially fearless.

I dunno my modus operandi with phenibut has always been to cut out a day and stabilize, I find it lasts so long that cutting a day out isn't too bad. After a handful of cycle of every other day, I feel stable and then can cut out another day. Once I get to every 5 days, it is pretty easy to jump off though I get some residual insomnia for a couple of weeks generally. However I have talked to people on here where it seems to last much less time and comes on faster (for me it takes 4-5 hours to really come on all the way) , and is harder to get off.

Gabapentin can substitute mostly for phenibut. I have used gabapentin on off days before to help me cut out a day. In my experience, once you're on every other day, it becomes easier. Every day does produce a heavier dependence.

Would you use it any different if your brain was still recovering from a benzo addiction? I used Phenibut before I and never felt very much. Can't recall dose but I think the largest was 1g. Keep in mind I can now dose 7.5mg Zopiclone and 600mg Pregabalin before going to work and have an amazing productive shift. I can also stay awake after taking 200mg Trazodone, 22.5mg Zopiclone and 900mg Pregabalin.

For me 1 gram isn't enough, nor was it ever enough, even when I hadn't used phenibut before. Try 1.5 grams, if that doesn't work, raise it to 2 grams. Keep in mind it takes most people hours to really start feeling it fully. It's quite different from benzos, it's most similar to pregabalin I think (but pregabalin is much wonkier and more intoxicating).

Yeah I get serious munchies from phenibut, for sure.
Whaaaaaat??????????
Just the opposite for me but force food down to protect stomach anyway.
Wow. Maybe I need to up my dose? :shrug: JK. Any more and I pass the fuck out.
Just wanna say thanks for this write up, too, xor.
Rootdoctor lol

Interesting. yeah gabapentinoids all give me the munchies. Pregabalin does it the most, but it's similar with gabapentin and phenibut.