Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Peyote (28 grams, dried) - First Time - The Original Phenethylamine, Finally

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Peyote (28 grams, dried) - First Time - The Original Phenethylamine, Finally

I have a fair bit of experience with the use of psychedelic drugs. I've done a lot of psilocybin mushrooms and LSD, along with a number of "designer" phenethylamines and tryptamines, often in heavy doses. However, for many years, I'd felt that there was one experience I was missing: mescaline. It's the only iconic recreational drug which I hadn't tried. So, a couple weeks ago, I decided to buy some peyote. Peyote, unlike isolated mescaline or any of the other mescaline-containing cacti, is completely legal in Canada, so I was comfortable ordering some in the mail.

Last week, I received my package. It contained a number of dried cactus chunks (or maybe small entire cacti?), each being roughly a centimetre in diameter. I took the bags containing the cacti, put them inside two Ziploc freezer bags, and crushed the pieces up into smaller chunks as much as I could. It was not reduced to powder, just smaller pieces.

The morning of my trip (yesterday), around 8:30 am, I boiled 4 cups of water and then reduced it to a simmer. I added 4 tablespoons of lemon juice and the peyote. I let this simmer, covered, for 4 hours, stirring occasionally. In the meantime, I cleaned my apartment thoroughly and showered. I didn't eat anything for breakfast, and drank only a little water, as I had read that peyote usually leads to vomiting early in the trip. In addition, I frequently get stomach pains when I take psychedelics and I don't have an empty stomach.

When the extraction was done, I let the resulting mixture sit to cool. I then performed a rough filtration by pouring the liquid through two paper towels in a funnel. After a while the paper towels clogged, so I squeezed them to get the liquid through more quickly. I used a spoon to squeeze any remaining liquid out of the swollen cactus chunks and filtered that liquid through the paper towels as well.

I was quite nervous about the next part, as I had read that peyote tastes disgusting and is difficult to drink without gagging. However, when I tasted the lukewarm liquid, I was pleasantly surprised. It's not that it tasted good -- the combination of the extreme bitterness and the acidity from the lemon made it taste, in fact, very similar to what came out of me when I last vomited after drinking poppy seed tea -- but it did not activate the kind of visceral reflex I get from drinking, say, GHB, or even straight liquor. I was able to drink the litre of liquid casually, without chugging and holding my nose, over about five minutes around 1:30 pm. By the end, I was getting mildly nauseated, and I can imagine it would have been pretty unpleasant if I'd had to drink twice as much.

My plan for the day was to walk around the city, so I brushed my teeth and got started. The first thing I started noticing, within perhaps 10 minutes, was minor audio distortions. This was the only effect until about 2:30 pm, when I began to get very nauseous. I'd never had nausea like this from LSD, psilocybin mushrooms, or most other psychedelics for that matter, with the exceptions being 2C-T-2 (which I had taken IV, so the nausea/vomiting/relief cycle was very quick) and 5-MeO-DMT (which I never vomited on, but which I was never able to enjoy because the nausea lasts as long as the trip). I sat down on a bench beside a garbage can, in a lot of discomfort, hoping that I would be able to vomit and feel better. After maybe 15 minutes, I got what I wanted. Unsurprisingly, it tasted the same coming out as it did going in. I had brought some gum with me for exactly this, and that got the nasty bitter taste out of my mouth.

It was after vomiting that it began to feel like a psychedelic trip. I continued walking and was in a fairly dark mood. I was thinking about the last time I did LSD, and how I had felt tired and my stomach had hurt and I had just wanted it to end. Not like a bad trip, mind, nothing so drastic. Just... unenthused and uncomfortable. I was thinking that this was going to be like that, since that's how I was feeling already. The nausea was coming back, too, although milder than before. I was thinking about bad things in my life -- my inability to make friends with anyone other than other dope fiends, the hole in my life from having ended a six-and-a-half-year relationship (with a woman I had thought I was going to spend my life with) in January, my despair at ever finding love again (or whether it's even something I should be looking for), my lack of motivation to do much of anything -- that I think about frequently anyway, but the psychedelic mindspace makes it more in-your-face. I didn't regret taking the mescaline, though. It's something I had wanted to do for years and, even if it were a rough day, I would be glad to have done it.

The sour mood continued for a while longer until I was walking in a neighbourhood I lived in years ago and walked by someone wearing a tee-shirt with the raver-dead-yellow-smiley-face icon and "hardcore" written on it. I thought, "I should ask him where the hardcore's at," and I found this thought funny, and bam! it's like it flipped a switch in my head, all of the sudden I had a wide smile and was feeling fantastic. Ah, the switchiness of psychedelics! The positive feeling didn't last too long at that point, but it made me remember that positivity was possible for me on psychedelics and that realization really attenuated the negativity.

Strangely, I kept smelling the odour of the cactus everywhere. I don't know if it's because some volatile compound actually got lodged in my nasal passages, or if it was just an olfactory hallucination.

It was a hot, sunny day, and by the time I was getting closer to downtown, I was starting to feel exhausted. I took a detour into a nearby forest and sat on a bench. It was here, at around 3:30 pm, that the psychedelic effects were hitting their peak. When I closed my eyes I got those psychedelic buzzing-waves of energy (I'm not sure exactly what to call them). The visuals, whether open-eyed or closed-eyed, were understated relative to even a low dose of mushrooms or LSD. Perhaps the best comparison is to the visuals of 2C-I. From reading @Kaden_Nite's recent Trip Report, it seems it's possible to take enough mescaline to get mind-blowing visuals, but I think I would have to take multiples of what I took to get there.

I sat on the bench for about a half an hour, alternating between having my eyes open and closed. I looked at the trees and watched people as they walked by. A squirrel came around and kept me company. It was peaceful and enjoyable.

From there, I walked downtown, to a public square/festival venue. There were lots of people out and about, and I wasn't uncomfortable being in the crowd. I walked into a mall with an extravagant fountain in the middle. I stood there staring at it for a while. It was beautiful. This city is full of beautiful things. I was reminded of why I fell in love with this place and decided to stay here.

From there, I continued walking toward what had been my intended ultimate destination: the waterfront, near a place where I had gone to many outdoor raves over the years. As expected, it was a joy to be near the water. Even on a normal day it makes me smile, but it was extra special with the peyote. I walked along the water. I enjoyed observing the rich people in their big boats, the fancy open-air bar, and all the tourists with their families. It had been hours since I had been thinking about my problems. I was simply enjoying the day.

After walking along the water for a while, I decided it was time to head home. I had only had a couple small sips from water fountains all day and I was getting very thirsty. I walked into a subway station and bought an orange Gatorade. It was indescribably refreshing. I downed the whole thing in about thirty seconds.

At this point, it was about 8:00 pm, and other than the break in the forest, I had been walking non-stop. My left foot was getting pretty blistered (I probably need a better pair of sandals).

I took the subway home, which took about thirty minutes. I posted on and read Bluelight during the commute. Since the peak, the psychedelic effects had been on a slow, consistent decline, but were still very much in effect.

Other than the visuals, there are some other differences worth noting between peyote and mushrooms or LSD. I never felt that feeling of being lost and somewhat lacking control of the situation that I can get on those psychedelics. Also, I felt like I could have been quite social, whereas on mushrooms and LSD I have a hard time speaking and don't usually like interacting with people. Finally, it was a little bit speedy. If I were picking a substance to go to a rave or a house party, well, I probably wouldn't pick a psychedelic, but if I had to choose a psychedelic, I would definitely pick mescaline over mushrooms or LSD.

When I got home, I tried my hand at the word game Redactle and spent some time on Bluelight. I was feeling energetic and social, so I contacted a friend and we agreed to meet up at a bar that plays underground electronic music. I knew I should eat, as I hadn't all day, but I procrastinated on doing that until a bit past 11. I ate a banana and a salmon sandwich, and thankfully it didn't bother my stomach. I then filled my newly-acquired Gatorade bottle with a can of tonic water and 4 ounces of gin, drank some, and took the rest with me for the subway ride.

I got to the bar at about the same time as my friend. I talked to him for a bit, but he was really blasted on ketamine so it was a bit of a sparse conversation. It was really nice to see him, but he seems pretty addicted to ketamine and I'm worried for him. The rest of the time I danced to the music, which I wasn't terribly familiar with but was some kind of techno. I always enjoy dancing, but it was particularly enjoyable with the remaining stimulation from the peyote. I drank 3 shots of tequila at the bar. After the bar closed at 3, I walked my friend home and then took the long trip back to my place via night buses. By the time I got home, brushed my teeth, and was ready to call it a night, it was almost 5 am. Amazingly, the psychedelic effects had not fully faded away, although they were very mild. I set my alarm for 12 pm the next day and fell asleep fairly quickly. I woke up sporadicly throughout the night, but was able to fall asleep again immediately each time.

When I woke up the next day, I felt energized and happy, although my legs and left foot were quite sore. I don't usually wake up feeling like this. It's the kind of feeling I used to get after psychedelics but hadn't in many years. I was awfully glad I had decided to take the trip. I wasn't expecting any kind of grand revelation, and I'm just as lost in life as I was before, but it was an experience of beauty, like a good novel or video game. And that has a lot of value.

Conclusion: mescaline is a worthwhile compound that, at least in the dose I took, doesn't have the extravagance of the Big Two, but is better suited for a social experience or a less-heady trip. I don't think it's best-in-class among the psychedelic phenethylamines in the way psilocybin and LSD are among the tryptamines -- I would give that honour to 2C-I -- but it's in the better half of those I have tried, at least. If I were to use it again, I would prefer to consume the pure compound, as the initial physical effects of the cactus are particularly unpleasant. Most importantly, peyote reminded me that I can enjoy psychedelics, and I'm grateful for that.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_lophophorawilliamsii
substancecode_peyote
substancecode_mescaline
substancecode_phenethylamines
explevel_firsttime
exptype_positive
exptype_bodyload
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely report, thanks for sharing. :) I haven't taken peyote, just pure mescaline and san pedro, and peruvian torch. But I have always wanted to, I have heard it is a bit different from the Trichocereus species, presumably due to differing alkaloid content aside from the mescaline. Peyote is endangered in the wild, so I would want to try to be sure it was cultivated, but cultivation takes a long time as it is very slow-growing, so Trichocereus (pachanoi, peruvianus, or bridgesii) seem like better options, since they're vigorous growers and are nowhere remotely approaching endangered.

That's a shame you got so nauseated, it is pretty common on cactus, though. If you have any access to ondansetron, that should work brilliantly for preventing nausea, if you were to try it again sometime. Mescaline is, as you noted, very different from LSD and mushrooms, and even most other psychedelic phenethylamines. It is calm and centered in nature, and ranges from not anti-social, to full-on pro-social. I find it as close to an empathogen as I do to LSD or mushrooms, it is very focused on feelings and a connection to my animal body.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, despite the nausea. :)

Hello, you should give “grampa” another chance, in my opinion that amount of peyote is not a significant to reach its heights. You mentioned feeling tired, then never will happen with the right dose. I known a medicine lady (old ladywho heal thru mescaline) she could walk non stop into the dessert looking for peyote for days only eating peyote.

For a 6 4, 160 lbs adult, 3 large cacti aprox, if that adult for example, it’s a meth daily user as I am, the amount needed could be x2.

All these approximations are only based on heavy drug user large body frame with a wide rage of substance tolerance and abuse historial, female early 40s

Mescaline is whole different universe, even if it effects are as intense an similar portent to LSD or Magic Mushrooms.

The plant it’s sorrounded by meaningful spiritual proposes, I never atended a traditional ritual, but walked into desert miles waking aside a female Chaman, government recognizes her as a medicine lady and can travel and bring peyote with her. For me this plant is merely to self drive an introspective healing ride.

I bought a significant number of collars Mabe with mescaline large pearls, the lady lives in a extremely poor situation as poor for years didn’t have electricity or shower, cooks with wood, I bought 100 USD and probably it’s value could reach 1000 USD or more, she told me a man from Israel ask her for a significan amount of mescaline and the mother fucker took it all never paid, i tried to sell mescaline at rave parties and it was a total failure, I really don’t get it, it’s practically the same but less visual than mushrooms and more introspective than LSD, I bet whatever you want that if you have the chance to try it a whole pearl of mescaline your be very satisfied with the product, mescaline could be also smoked.

I guess people didn’t know about this.
A curious fact.

It’s fascinating how at the middle of the dresert at the same land some people can’t see the peyote, and others did, they said peyote looks at you not otherwise. 100% real

There’s another facts peyote related, there’s like plant but it’s name is “wizard peyote” it’s extremely poisonous, it’s looks are really impressive, dark purple but some people smokes it, I did it once and the effect it’s like smoking opium, I remebered being looked desperately buy my family because i tripped wizard and puts me to heavily sleeping, not recomendéis, but find the plant super evil interesting

processed mescaline that is nothing more than smashed and dried peyote paste, I suggest you if ever try again make a peyote tea also works.

Last thing the trip is long lasting like 12 hrs, liquid and ultra vivid color effects goes with it

Nice attempt.

Found the report lacking but I feel it wasn't a very strong experience so didn't give you much to work with perhaps in terms of sharing in writing what happened.

The right dose of peyote should have had the monster trucks doing flips in the desert in your brain so to speak not feeling that's what was going on here some call it meeting God

The combination of alkaloids in peyote (obviously mostly mescaline) has a quite unique feel, but Jesus Christ, it tastes fucking hideous (actually, I'm sure it's that taste that causes the nausea. Yes the isoquinoline alkaloids don't help, but fuck me...)