• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☮ Social ☮ People with no psychedelic experiences v. "I don't think I could handle it"

Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member
How do you feel about them? What do you say to them?

More than any other drug I feel like psychedelics truly do change you, change your perspective of the world to a vague extent. It's not a major thing, it's almost like if you're privy to the world's most beautiful art gallery that only fellow psychonauts get to enjoy. An art gallery so significant it can change your life. The ULTIMATE art gallery which is unique to each mind and contains knowledge, mysticism and often healing insight.

I guess it's exclusive - I'd imagine 90% of the world's population has never done a psychedelic drug? Then what proportion of that 10% actually had a meaningful trip (good or bad)?

When people tell me they've never done psychedelics I almost think "awww, poor thing, they have no idea". I'm not elitist about it, though. I don't push drugs on people. But sometimes when people tell me they don't think they could handle it and have never tried it, I feel like they are doubting themselves. Yet I may be the biggest proponent on the dangers of psychedelics on this forum, I still encourage most people should try them. It really does open your mind - maybe not in a significant way, but in it's own unique way with each person. Psychedelics are not godlike magical cures, simple chemicals, but very interesting chemicals that can have very specific benefits for a lot of people.

I really do think differently now due to psychedelics. I think about things differently... I look at patterns differently... it's a subtle change but noticeable.

What about you?

Last edited:

More than any other drug I feel like psychedelics truly do change you, change your perspective of the world to a vague extent. It's not a major thing, it's almost like if you're privy to the world's most beautiful art gallery that only fellow psychonauts get to enjoy. An art gallery so significant it can change your life. The ULTIMATE art gallery which is unique to each mind and contains knowledge, mysticism and often healing insight.

I guess it's exclusive - I'd imagine 90% of the world's population has never done a psychedelic drug? Then what proportion of that 10% actually had a meaningful trip (good or bad)?

When people tell me they've never done psychedelics I almost think "awww, poor thing, they have no idea". I'm not elitist about it, though. I don't push drugs on people. But sometimes when people tell me they don't think they could handle it and have never tried it, I feel like they are doubting themselves. Yet I may be the biggest proponent on the dangers of psychedelics on this forum, I still encourage most people should try them. It really does open your mind - maybe not in a significant way, but in it's own unique way with each person. Psychedelics are not godlike magical cures, simple chemicals, but very interesting chemicals that can have very specific benefits for a lot of people.

I really do think differently now due to psychedelics. I think about things differently... I look at patterns differently... it's a subtle change but noticeable.

What about you?
I don't feel anything particular about people with no psychedelic experience. If anything, my sentiment revolves around psychonauts and it's rarely positive. The most meaningful trips for me have been bad or terrible trips, at least most of the time.

I've become very careful with recommending psychedelics. I wouldn't encourage anyone to do them, but I don't encourage any drugs to anyone unless directly asked about it. I do get the fear most people feel. I'm getting into semantics now, but I think the phrase "I don't think I could handle it" isn't helping anyone.
The way I see it, nobody handles psychedelics. They handle you. And if you don't let them, they will do so with sheer will and force.

But I do feel that psychedelics is something most people would probably enjoy and maybe (big one) benefit from.
Especially when it's drug users who use other drugs, I personally can't understand why you wouldn't wanna do psychedelics, but to each their own.

I generally only recommend specific psychedelics to people who are already interested in using them. I encourage people who aren't sure if they'd want to use them or not to do their own research about it before making a decision including asking me questions if they have any. If they are doubting whether or not they could handle it I'll sometimes point out some of the ways the reality of psychedelics tend to be lighter than the expectations people have, but also point out that completely insane experiences and lasting psychological issues are possible.

I don't think you can understand everything if you don't try psychedelics, but, that's technically inherently true of everything you can try.

Life is a trip with or without psychedelics

I firmly believe we all trip when we we die, so psychedelics are just a sneak peak at what's beyond the curtains really.

I'm a schizophrenic and my most intense trips were not on any drugs at all.

I don't feel anything particular about people with no psychedelic experience. If anything, my sentiment revolves around psychonauts and it's rarely positive. The most meaningful trips for me have been bad or terrible trips, at least most of the time.

I've become very careful with recommending psychedelics. I wouldn't encourage anyone to do them, but I don't encourage any drugs to anyone unless directly asked about it. I do get the fear most people feel. I'm getting into semantics now, but I think the phrase "I don't think I could handle it" isn't helping anyone.
I completely understand your viewpoint and appreciate it. I do have to say that the psychonauts you find on BL and such are generally quite more eccentric than your normal ones. Honestly, I don't agree with a lot of them here. I'm more middle ground.

I'm also very careful but mainly just check for any possible medication interactions, neurotic or mental conditions that might be bad. However, I also don't think bad or challenging trips are really always a bad thing in the end. Unpleasant, sure, but not always bad. It really does end up teaching you a lesson, technically, either way. (?)

The way I see it, nobody handles psychedelics. They handle you. And if you don't let them, they will do so with sheer will and force.
I see what you're trying to say but I just don't feel that way. I can easily control my brain, body, will, psyche while high on them.

I'd say they don't "handle" you, nor you them per se. It's really how much you can handle yourself in a lot of ways.

See, I think, in my own way, that a large part of the therapeutic effect of these drugs is the part about having to "release control" willingly, to the drug's effects. Once you do that is when you can truly appreciate and absorb a trip.

I've always been able to tolerate psychedelics very well apparently, because out of literally about 200 trips over 20 years I've only had about 10 that I would consider "bad", and even then it was just uncomfortable for a few hours then I felt fine, never had lasting effects from a 'bad trip', I've almost always learned or taken something out of it - or just had a good time.

But I do feel that psychedelics is something most people would probably enjoy and maybe (big one) benefit from.
Especially when it's drug users who use other drugs, I personally can't understand why you wouldn't wanna do psychedelics, but to each their own.
agreed, to each their own as well

but how do you know you won't like something if you've never tried it? I guess that's what I'm saying

Life is a trip with or without psychedelics

I firmly believe we all trip when we we die, so psychedelics are just a sneak peak at what's beyond the curtains really.

I'm a schizophrenic and my most intense trips were not on any drugs at all.
have you seen the movie Into the Void???

it's about how you trip balls and experience life fractally in the moment of death, great movie, very trippy too

I completely understand your viewpoint and appreciate it. I do have to say that the psychonauts you find on BL and such are generally quite more eccentric than your normal ones. Honestly, I don't agree with a lot of them here. I'm more middle ground.
No, I rarely agree with what people think their experiences mean, but I do find it interesting to read. And it's not like I know what a psychedelic experience really is, so I try to always be respectful even if I'm thinking, "well, that is bananas on a bike".
I'm also very careful but mainly just check for any possible medication interactions, neurotic or mental conditions that might be bad.
Very true, all those are really important.
However, I also don't think bad or challenging trips are really always a bad thing in the end. Unpleasant, sure, but not always bad. It really does end up teaching you a lesson, technically, either way. (?)
Yeah, I agree. My trips that have just been fun and euphoric have obviously been fantastic, but like you said, you don't take away as much from them in terms of understanding and learning about yourself (mostly).
I see what you're trying to say but I just don't feel that way. I can easily control my brain, body, will, psyche while high on them.
I don't think I thought that particular sentence through very well. 😄 😬 Because I agree. I love doing psychs in public and places you really shouldn't do them, so chalk that argument up to being stuck in the cobwebs of sleep earlier.
I'd say they don't "handle" you, nor you them per se. It's really how much you can handle yourself in a lot of ways.
Word.
See, I think, in my own way, that a large part of the therapeutic effect of these drugs is the part about having to "release control" willingly, to the drug's effects. Once you do that is when you can truly appreciate and absorb a trip.
Yes, most definitely. And that fear of losing control seems to be the most prevalent obstacle that keeps people from trying psychedelics.
I think that is what I meant by clumsily saying "they handle you". You need to let go of the steering wheel for that to happen though.
I've always been able to tolerate psychedelics very well apparently, because out of literally about 200 trips over 20 years I've only had about 10 that I would consider "bad", and even then it was just uncomfortable for a few hours then I felt fine, never had lasting effects from a 'bad trip', I've almost always learned or taken something out of it - or just had a good time.
Same here. Another reason I don't recommend psychedelics (anymore), is because I generally don't like taking psychedelics with someone who's trip-naive. It sounds really cruel and harsh, but I'd rather be honest with someone and tell them that, than say I'll trip-sit them and then not be able to help them out of a bad trip.
but how do you know you won't like something if you've never tried it? I guess that's what I'm saying
Well, you can't. You can speculate and draw lines in the sand, but when it comes to drugs especially, experience is the only thing that can make you understand what its about, I think.
All the trip reports and the info on effects of psychedelics I read before I tripped for my first time, was mostly a waste of time.
Nothing prepares you for psychedelics.

I guess what I feel about people who won't trip for whatever reason, is kind of "You don't know what you're missing out in..", but like I've mentioned here before, I knew two guys who killed themselves after doing LSD, which pushed them over the edge. And that has made me overly careful about hyping up psychedelics for those that haven't tried them.

Fantastic movie btw.
I watched it high on LSD the first time, I didn't know how emotionally intense it would be, but it was amazing

I wouldn't recommend the average person watch it while tripping lol

That movie made me very emotional in a unique existential sort of way

I think it really nails the emotions it was trying to convey

psychedelics are truly a unique class of drugs, in effects, neuroscience, pharmacology, religion, culture, stigma, history, etc...

One easy option too is to simply think- lucky them.
if someone said they have never done meth, coke, opioids, alcohol, weed or literally almost any drug I would also think "lucky them"

however, not with psychedelics... I almost have this chip on my shoulder

It's like I've experienced psychosis and they haven't... idk why, but that makes me feel like they haven't experienced reality :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

if someone said they have never done meth, coke, opioids, alcohol, weed or literally almost any drug I would also think "lucky them"

however, not with psychedelics... I almost have this chip on my shoulder

It's like I've experienced psychosis and they haven't... idk why, but that makes me feel like they haven't experienced reality :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:
I am and have always been right with you.

But then, as it was you know, drawn into discussion lol, it occured to me that at points like now when I'm so far gone on ALD-52, is it really, SO bad, to never know, THIS?

Lol, it's the silver lining though isn't it. I used to think silver linings were a shame.

Now they are the inspiration.

And I'm not saying "this" is bad. Just quite something to know though. I don't, know otherwise.

What about you?
It is their choice not to trip or never take psychedelic drugs, or (insert any/all/no drugs) as much as it was mine to take LSD, smoke/eat/vape marijuana and hashish, and trip on Psilocybin mushrooms.

Not everyone likes, does, or uses the same drugs. I know people who loved super high doses of Ketamine, PCP or angel dust, DXM, METH, cocaine in all methods of use, MDMA, benzos, and heroin and any opiates. But they do not like pot, acid, or shrooms as they get paranoid, have had bad trips, etc.

It is their choice not to trip or never take psychedelic drugs, or (insert any/all/no drugs) as much as it was mine to take LSD, smoke/eat/vape marijuana and hashish, and trip on Psilocybin mushrooms.

Not everyone likes, does, or uses the same drugs. I know people who loved super high doses of Ketamine, PCP or angel dust, DXM, METH, cocaine in all methods of use, MDMA, benzos, and heroin and any opiates. But they do not like pot, acid, or shrooms as they get paranoid, have had bad trips, etc.
understandable, and I agree mostly, however these people tend to assume they won't like a drug simply based on how they think they might react to it, which is kinda my point

of course anyone is welcome to decline any drug

I just think its weird I know people who will do meth and/or heroin but are hesitant to do psychedelics... that's a bit weird to me... willing to do the hardest drugs yet not psychedelics because you think... whatever....

the point I'm trying to make is questionable in nature so don't take this thread too seriously

Last edited:
Into the Void? Do you mean Enter the Void by Gaspar Noé? @Snafu of the Forest

I watched Climax by him recently, also somewhat psychedelic (LSD) oriented, or you'd only know because it says so in the description. I watched it with all the goodwill in the world and I am convinced Gaspar Noé never took a psychedelic in his life, pretty good movie though but you need to look past the overt artsiness and véry annoying depiction of acid.

Into the Void? Do you mean Enter the Void by Gaspar Noé?
Yes! sorry

that movie is amazing

It's really one of the most unique and well made movies I've ever seen in my life and is packed full of unique emotions it unlocks in the viewer.

it brings such a unique and controversial premise and it delivers - I can't say enough about that movie as an art piece

I watched Climax by him recently, also somewhat psychedelic (LSD) oriented
I'll check it out!