• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

People who have been to psych wards, what was your experience like?

Parabolan

Bluelighter
So, if you have been to psych ward and are comfortable talking about it, let's hear it.

I was admitted into psych ward volunteerly, in order to save my marriage. Two weeks of being looked down at, pure hell.

Let's hear it!

I went to the E.R. and got shot up with Haldol.

It wasn't the psych ward but it was bad enough.

I was on a gurney.

I went to the E.R. and got shot up with Haldol.

It wasn't the psych ward but it was bad enough.

I was on a gurney.
I have a weird reaction to Haldol. I can't sit still and my restless legs got so bad that I had to kick metal with my barefeet, just to make them feel better.

I have a weird reaction to Haldol. I can't sit still and my restless legs got so bad that I had to kick metal with my barefeet, just to make them feel better.

<3

Oh yes, and especially from and injection but I had i.v. dilaudid along with it and it made it worse.

It was incapacitation. I couldn't stand up straight and or walk for a week. Something was wrong with that stuff. It's too potent. :(

So, if you have been to psych ward and are comfortable talking about it, let's hear it.

I was admitted into psych ward volunteerly, in order to save my marriage. Two weeks of being looked down at, pure hell.

Let's hear it!

Oh those wards will tie you right down with a jacket and a needle !!

Is your marriage better, I hope ?? <3

Stay Well.

OK what kind of places are these?? I've been to a locked ward and no patient was restrained or sedated unless that person was flipping out and a danger to themselves or others. And certainly absolutely NOBODY was being tied to a bed! WTF?!

OK what kind of places are these?? I've been to a locked ward and no patient was restrained or sedated unless that person was flipping out and a danger to themselves or others. And certainly absolutely NOBODY was being tied to a bed! WTF?!

I was a violent motherfucker so i got put in solitary like 6 times for beating on security. However i saw people being put in solitary for shit like writing on the walls and other bullshit stuff. They can do anything to you in there

I was a violent motherfucker so i got put in solitary like 6 times for beating on security. However i saw people being put in solitary for shit like writing on the walls and other bullshit stuff. They can do anything to you in there
That sounds wrong.

PS for the record my own mother was a psychiatrist. The first hospital she worked at was run by Catholic nuns and she explicitly forbade anyone getting secured to their beds. The second one was secular and she got in a lot of fights with admin about unnecessary restraint. One patient was a manic depressive who became violent in his manic phase. He destroyed 2 sets of furniture in his room. Staff were debating drastic measures to deal with his behaviour. My mother walked in, told him 'you can have one more wardrobe and then we'll have to charge you'. That worked XD

Last edited:
I was put in a psychiatric hospital twice during my adolescent years. It was pretty chill lol.

The adolescent ones are definitely way more chill than the adult ones. The first psych ward I ever went to was when I was 16, went to the ER for heroin OD. They ended up putting me in the children's psych ward, not for behavioral issues, but because they don't have detox places for kids.

The adult psych wards have a very haunting and sad atmosphere. The overarching presence of madness and utter despair pimps those places. Much more fucked up and depressing, and much less compassion from staff.

A friend of mine did a stint years ago. He basically said that "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" was pretty accurate.

He was depressed badly because he had nearly died in a car crash, 8 months recovery in the hospital with multiple surgeries. Once in they wouldn't let him out and drugged him heavily with anti-psychotics. Doc kept telling his folks that insurance wouldn't cover the stay unless he released him.

Good news is that he broke the hell out of his depression since he had to be %110 for months to prove himself (through the drug haze). He had a lot to say which I've also heard elsewhere about our system. Any bureaucracy can become self sustaining at the expense of those it is supposed to help. Don't get me started on another buddy and the Methadone system.

It was actually fine.
Only issue I had was with another patient who was a nasty bigot. Was homophobic towards me and kept calling another (black) patient I was friends with the "N" word. One time he dug his fork into my friends back (hard enough to hurt, but not draw blood) and threatened me, so I threw hot coffee in his face and then *I* got in trouble and he didn't. I mean, I had JUST (only instant coffee) boiled the kettle and made the cup, but also I had some milk in so it wasn't like it was scolding.

The staff were nice as were most of the other inpatients. Everyone automatically got 5mg diazepam twice a day added to their meds which, while probably an attempt to help control people, was nice.

We weren't allowed to leave the ward, but it wasn't like a maximum security type thing, either, like an attending would take (max. two patients at a time) you outside for 10 minutes if you wanted a cigarette or just fresh air.

If anything, I'd say maybe MORE supervision could have been better due to the aforementioned incident with another patient and also because I didn't eat (I mean literally nothing, only coffee and water) for sixteen days before anyone on staff actually noticed.

Twice.
Once for 51 days.
Another for 4 months.
It would've been a lot better if they didn't force meds on you.
The psych meds are the worst.
Second worst, all the time you have to do nothing. Boredom.
And if they treated me as a doctor. The medics exercising power over you because they can leave and you can't.

Involuntary for 2 days after being up on meth for 5 days and stripping and running in downtown Toronto .

Was awful. 1 girl was a cutter and I have a week stomach and she kept showing me her latest cuts. Another guy would scream until they sedated him so much hewas basically drooling on himself.

Some I spoke with really made me realize my childhood was better then I thought.

Very sad seeing people there for years because their family didn't want them.

What surprised me was how awful some of the nurses were towards some. I figured nurses in that department would have been easier to deal with and more emphatic then they were.

i've been in the psychward like 3 times just for like 3 or 4 days and then another time i went 10 days another time i was in there for a little longer than three months.

i like being around people kind of. it's interesting to see all the different people coming and going. the staff is usually pretty nice and the food is alright,, for the time i was in the psychward for ten days i was put on risperdal and was getting ASMR feelings when they would read and do daily meditation seminars. i was into that... the worst part about the psychward other than getting drugged with stuff i didn't like was the showers had such little water pressure that it was hard to get clean and the soap they gave sucked. my ass smelt pretty bad by the time i was set to leave and i was still showering almost every day.. i also would like being in a room to sleep with out room mates. i get paranoid not knowing if the room mate could be psycho or something. one room mate i had used this hair product i smell in salons and stuff that i don't like and it really stunk up the room pretty bad. stuff like that is pretty tough, but most of my room mates weren't bad.

if marijuana were allowed in the psychward i honestly wouldn't mind staying at all. i like the meditation seminars. time goes pretty quick cause they do group meetings all through out the day and i could watch t.v. most of the group meetings were just basic stuff that didn't really help me like proper living techniques. there wasn't really any groups to talk about why i was paranoid in the psychward in the first place, so that seemed kind of weird. the art groups were kind of fun to be doing art with a room full of people and listen to music and stuff... really my biggest problem with being in the psychward is boredom and anxiety from not having weed... i think it'd be kind of cool to have like salvia or dmt smoking sessions in the psychward and then sit in a circle and go around and discuss each others trips. lol. seems like something they could be doing in that environment.

people say weed gives them the munchies, but i always eat more in the psychward because of boredom.