• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Pens

jazz hands

Bluelighter
Let's talk about pens. Recommend me a good pen please Bluelight. Cheap vs expensive? Middle of the road? Sharp or dull point?

I am slightly obsessive over my pens.. I can't use 'gel' pens, they have to be ball-point and usually medium sized. The finer points scratch too much for my liking.

I like a particular brand, Staedler crystal blue pens for my everyday writing as they are so so comfortable and seem to flow really nicely in the hand. They're super cheap which is a bonus.

When I'm I front of clients however, I will use a pen with a bit more 'personality' and some decoration to infer success. I don't want to be seen using a cheap generic pen to draw up ten thousand dollar contracts, for example.
People judge you every second - especially in business. I want to give a professional air to my dealings with my clients, and for that it's strictly soft leather folders and nice, expensive looking pens. :)

Pilot Precise V5 are bomb, they don't have any click-ey shit attached to them, and the ink and point are nice.
854bbec63713318d8976eedab764e0cb45.jpg

Pigma Micron pens are pretty much the bomb-diggity, though, if you have $5 to spend on a writing instrument.
AAAAC76WeX4AAAAAALXCuw.jpg

They are pretty much the standard in any archival industry, there is no ink that is even close to comparable.

If you are a baller, you could also use one of these (very front of the case):
images

Last edited:
I like the pilot G-2 .7mm pen. The fine print one and the color is dark enough and looks so nice.

pilot_07-blk1.jpg

^That's what I usually use. It's effective, but as COTB said, in some situations, a better pen is good. Also, it would be nice to get something that wrote beautifully for school, as I take quite a bit of notes and do as much work as possible by hand. The Pilots kinda make my handwriting look really scratchy. I need to find something that encourages my handwriting to be more tame.

i like the stainless steel, fine point, zebra pens. they are ballpoint pens and i find they write very smooth without smudging like gel pens.

18053.jpg

Nothing...nothing beats a Parker Pen <3 Aesthetically beautiful, timeless and oh god they write like a dream.

Pilot Precise V5 are bomb, they don't have any click-ey shit attached to them, and the ink and point are nice.
854bbec63713318d8976eedab764e0cb45.jpg

This, this, this!

It's the only type of pen I own. I've had many people I've let borrow it tell me "it's a great pen". They're not too expensive, either, and it writes awesome.

I don't like pens that write similar to gel pens, where the ink stays wet--It never fails to get smudged, and sometimes the letters will run into one another and look like cursive if I don't pick the pen up high enough. For those two reasons, I stick with ball point pens. At work, I've used a few different kinds, one of 'em already mentioned: The "Pilot G2". It's decent, but I still like this other one at work better. When I go in Monday (if I remember) I'll make a mental note of what type it is. :) But all in all, I'm not too particular with pens, as long as they're ball point.

as a leftie, i have to have a pen that has quick drying ink because otherwise, i have a ink stain down the entire side of my hand. i used to be proud of it, but not anymore. i hate all ballpoints for this reason. my favourite favourite pens are:

PAP84301_1_1.JPG

medium point felts. the ink is dark and serious and quick drying. i hate how most ballpoints don't even look like black ink! it's like a light grey. i want my ink black.

i second the g2 0.7

h6i1AIW3pmaimQ5-tak5J4UudTWRf9TzmqrJjciF1_Em3RrxB4t-CctQ2Lji5Lb434O_OUBtA76pYkuxKKZYxYZ_eT9hu0rc9msju9jclc3hpYpyA_8R2rKnWqdYCI3JXF-M0roLrsjEnwkoYxSXc6JNpdZIQ1iQYkXS

for general use, the 0.5 is a little fine and the 1.0 is clunky. the 0.7 is a great, all-purpose pen. it has the advantage of being widely-available and inexpensive.

alasdair

muvolution... you must be an artist, no?

I DEFINITELY agree with the V5 Precise. That's been my favorite pen for probably 15 years or more. It's great for writing, it's great for drawing, it's just great all around! There's a reason I've stuck with ONE kind of pen for YEARS.

i love the plain bic. black, not blue. red for editing and proofreading. white plastic, not clear. my handwriting is illegible with any other pen.

Bic_black_ink_12_pack.48121843_std.jpg

g2 .7 for everyday writing, Dr. Grip Full Black if I have the option:

4622000530_249255af97.jpg

^ Writing on graph paper - awesome.

Writing in all capital letters? Not as awesome.

Pigma Micron pens are pretty much the bomb-diggity, though, if you have $5 to spend on a writing instrument.
AAAAC76WeX4AAAAAALXCuw.jpg

Best ink stick. You can draw with it beautifully, and you can also write with a very scriptive style using one. I think the 01 in any color is the perfect detailing pen. You need loads of 'em though.

Fine point sharpies for cheaper, longer lasting, more durable note jotting & etc.
0529789.jpg

.8 - 1mm ball points.

gel pens drive me nuts and i ruin sharpies, i still have my favorite pen but havent been able to find refills, i have that packed away but will find it im curious now what brand it is.

i have been using Bic Pro +, they have some traction.

Pigma Micron for sure, 005 (0.20mm) or 01 (0.25mm).

Next best would be Staedtler pigment liners or Prismacolor fine line markers.

Jazz Hands, would you like a poll on this since some clear favorites are emerging?