• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Paleolithic diet and exercise.

Cop out is Cop out

Not at all.

Somebody with one interpretation of Buddhist says one thing, another Buddhist wanders along and says, "No, that isn't how it goes." Your interpretation of Buddhism appears to be a literal one that is maybe drawing from Mahayana. 'Myself,' 'I' prefer Zen.

When it comes down to it, these sentences are absurd. 'I' know 'you' already know this. There is no point in talking about differences in Buddhism as if one person has the correct answer and the other doesn't. This is why I say the internet and Buddhism don't mix.

Not at all.

Somebody with one interpretation of Buddhist says one thing, another Buddhist wanders along and says, "No, that isn't how it goes." Your interpretation of Buddhism appears to be a literal one that is maybe drawing from Mahayana. 'Myself,' 'I' prefer Zen.

When it comes down to it, these sentences are absurd. 'I' know 'you' already know this. There is no point in talking about differences in Buddhism as if one person has the correct answer and the other doesn't. This is why I say the internet and Buddhism don't mix.

You know what Changed, those were actually wise words. I fully expected to click this thread and start arguing...but you're right. Buddhism is many things to many people. Just because I don't believe in eating meat dosen't necessarily mean you don't have to.

Very well said and my most humble apollogies to you :D You have indeed earned my respect today.

Edit - and if you don't mind, I'd be interested in PM'ing you regarding some of the more meaningful texts you've read on this subject. If of course, you'd be so kind...

I think if you look at peoples preferences to not only food but things like temperature tolerance, prefered pallets, etc this may be the key to what diet is healthy to that individual. Me personally. I was a vegan for 2 years. My HDL was very low, my triglycerides were high, and my LDL was unchanged. LDL is not all bad. There are 2 kinds of LDL, one is good and one is bad so LDL doesn't tell the whole story.

When I switched to a higher fat diet my HDL shot up and my triglycerides dropped to below 100. I prefer colder environments, meat over sweets, and fatty meats over lean meats. Genetically I believe I am from a northern background that lived on primarily and animal diet.

Some people prefer warm temperatures, lots of fruits and vegetables, and are probably genetically from areas where people ate less animal foods and more of a plant based diet.

Also I do not like fish, some people love it. I think you have to look at it from a holistic veiw to decide what is the healthiest diet for an individual.

^ do you really think your preferences for food are so in line with what is 'optimal' for your body genetically? (what would 'optimal' even mean in this sense without making your preferences necessarily in line with what is optimal for your body - ie a vacuous thesis*).

*not sure youre following me but just in case you arent - a necessarily true thesis is uninformative ie vacuous ie containing the content Av~A).

There are no "beings", no "I", there is no "Ego".

Of course there is. To deny the existence of our illusion, our ego is a great folly. The illusion exists so that it may be overcome, without it there is no waking up from it. Ego is really just awareness.

Though the topic of this thread has nothing to do with Buddhism, this is quite entertaining.

^ do you really think your preferences for food are so in line with what is 'optimal' for your body genetically? (what would 'optimal' even mean in this sense without making your preferences necessarily in line with what is optimal for your body - ie a vacuous thesis*).

*not sure youre following me but just in case you arent - a necessarily true thesis is uninformative ie vacuous ie containing the content Av~A).

Yes according to my blood work. When I tried the Dr McDougall diet, grain based, lots of raw foods, nothing animal based my heart related blood work, blood sugar, and iron levels were out of wack. In addition to that I had skin issues I never had before, and on top of all that I didn't like the diet but stuck it out for two years due to my fear of a heart attack or stroke after finding out I had high blood pressure at 25. I then read Atkins Age Defying Diet. I loved the foods. Fatty meats and green leafy and salad vegetables, fatty salad dressings, etc. Lots of fat and protein and nutrient packed green leafy vegetable and low carb/low GI berries with whipped cream for desert. It appealed to me in taste and my blood work in every category made improvements in leaps and bounds and my blood pressure normalized. So I have the blood work to back it up.

Now that was on me. I can't say if it would work for everyone. Some people would eat candy and twinkees for every meal if they could but that shows a preference for a carbohydrate based diet which would be a grain based, or fruit based diet. Fruitarians are around but rare.

I truly believe my genetic ancestry is nothern european anglo saxon hunter gatherer, thereofre evolved on an animal based diet. I eat high levels of saturated fats and cholesterol and no trans fat and since making that change my blood work improved. So I had a baseline to judge from.

Of course there is. To deny the existence of our illusion, our ego is a great folly. The illusion exists so that it may be overcome, without it there is no waking up from it. Ego is really just awareness.

Though the topic of this thread has nothing to do with Buddhism, this is quite entertaining.

While this may be true for a simple spiritual neophyte. A true Arahat, in his infinite wisdom, knows that all beings are mearly empty dharma, and everything that exists is not-self(atāman), and empty(sūnya).

The only thing that is permanent is Karma. Even a Buddha must die (Parinirvana, as it's called)

As the heart sūtra says : 'whatsoever is material shape, that is emptiness, and whatsoever is emptiness, that is material shape'.

Last edited:
In the Śūnyatāvadin Buddhist perspective, each phenomenon lacks an inherest 'nature', and so all are said to share an 'empty-nature'. Thus one dharma cannot unlimately be distinguised from other dharma. Their shared 'nature' is 'emptiness'(Śūnyatā)

sorry for getting so off-topic, Mods

Last edited:
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Hardly matters, there are more Buddhas in the universe than there are grains of sand on every planet in every universe.