• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Pain Relief alternatives

Hey DI88-- I'm familiar with clonidine, milk thistle, melatonin, and fenugreek.
What are 5-htp & l-tyrosine and where might I find them? Just some easy info off the top of your head.
Thanks.
Hey,

5-htp is a supplement and is a precursor for serotonin.
L-tyrosine is similar but it's more a precursor for dopamine.

Both are alright for re balancing neurotransmitters. Although it's incredibly mild. So for those with severe enough depression, it doesn't do a whole lot, but it can't hurt either.

I have the "NATROL" brand of 5htp. They have it at Walgreens, Walmart, etc..
I got my L-tyrosine at a GNC.

You can also get tyrosine from eating cheese & dairy products I believe.
Also N-acetyl-tyrosine I think is a better version, which is absorbed more easily, but I've only ever seen it in energy drinks but never in a supplement. Though I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

I recommend tyrosine for those who use stimulants. It can help make the crash a little easier & faster to get through, but I guess so could eating a lot of dairy. lol
Taking 5-htp with SSRI's or serotonin releasers could be hazardous though.

I tried fenugreek for more energy and I thought I had low testosterone at the time from years of opioid use, but my blood work showed that surprisingly my testosterone was normal.
But I still take it once in awhile for it's purported benefits.

I've read about melatonin helping with opioid tolerance, but I haven't had much luck with it personally.
Only high dose DXM seems to "wash" my opioid receptors. But high dose DXM is definitely unsustainable. lol

Last edited:
Are you able to stay alive without taking your insulin though? Maybe that's a dumb question. lol I assume you probably do have to take it eventually at times. Or maybe it's because you have the type 2.

I have diabetes in my family and I've been a sugar addict for a long time (love me some coke, pepsi, candy, etc..)
So it's something I try to stay conscious about when my eating habits get out of control.
Although I can down a tub of ice cream and 10 pops a day and suprisingly my blood sugar has been great whenever I've had bloodwork done. I'm like wtf...

Some times I do fasting, which feels like it helps give me some energy after a few days and my mind feels clearer. But as soon as I eat something, it's like a switched gets flipped and I'll be back to eating whatever I want within a few days.

I've also become accustomed to sitting on floors. I've been to broke & poor for years to afford real furniture and I find sitting cross legged on the floor is the only position I can get in and get into my zone (especially when on my laptop), but siting this way for years is also fucking with my legs.

Don't feel like it's your fault my friend. The human body is faulty and some of these things are out of our control. Maybe our habits or life styles contribute to it some times, but some times we're unaware that it will happen. I have days where I just wanna live in the moment and enjoy life, even if it means having that extra piece of pizza or extra pepsi is gonna give me diabetes the next day. lol

I am able to live without it* because my pancreas still produces SOME insulin. I probably will start taking the insulin eventually, but I'm trying to control my blood-sugar through diet right now. It is actually working pretty well, I've more than halved my average reading since I was diagnosed the week before Christmas**.

I totally know what you mean about the fasting thing. During episodes of anorexia (restrictive type) I've experienced the energy thing, too. Weirdly, when you're starving you do get a boost in energy and sometimes it legit feel like you're high on stimulants.

I sit with my legs crossed almost every time I'm sitting, too! Haha. I sit on "my seat" on the right of the sofa (it's just a two-seater couch and I keep like my book, my kindle, a notebook, a cushion etc on the left side) with my legs crossed and my laptop on a table in front of me. I don't really notice it having an effect on my legs (possibly because I have sat this way my whole life: when I was four and started Reception (Kindergarten) that's how we were taught to sit on the floor (the teacher would sit in a chair and us all on a carpet in front of her whenever she was reading to us or talking to us etc) and I just got into the habit I guess. It is awful for my back, though. I have back pain anyway and I have two herniated discs, but I sit badly hunched over. My parents would comment on how hunched over I was and I assumed they were exaggerating, but my dad took a pic of me and I was HORRIFIED. I didn't even look like I had a human physiology, my back bent practically into a lower-case letter "n" :/

Yeah, I definitely try to live life to the fullest; I'm all about trying new things, finding new interests, going new places etc. My main priority in life is right now is just find happiness where I can.

I know deep down it's not my fault. I experiences several harrowing traumas as a kid and young adult and it's my way of coping with all the pain.

*but not a long life and my body would be absolutely wrecked. I am making a huge effort with my diet now and if that doesn't work well enough, there are pills you can take and if THAT doesn't work, then I guess I'll take my insulin. I am being upfront and honest with both my doctor and the diabetes clinic about everything, too.

**Despite that initial attack of acute pancreatitis being a decade ago, it was only December 2021 when suddenly a routine blood test showed by blood sugar levels were dangerously high. We do the count by a different means to the US, but basically anything from 4-7 is normal, as a diabetic they'll accept under 12 but really want it less than 10. More than 20 is serious and 30 is a medical emergency. The machine goes up to 32 and mine was so high the machine couldn't read it.

Last edited:
I am able to live without it* because my pancreas still produces SOME insulin. I probably will start taking the insulin eventually, but I'm trying to control my blood-sugar through diet right now. it is actually working pretty well, I've more than halves my average reading since I was diagnosed the week before Christmas**.

I totally know what you mean about the fasting thing. During episodes of anorexia (restrictive type) I've experienced the energy thing, too. Weirdly, when you're starving you do get a boost in energy and sometimes it legit feel like you're high on stimulants.

I sit with my legs crossed almost every time I'm sitting, too! Haha. I sit on "my seat" on the right of the sofa (it's just a two-seater couch and I keep like my book, my kindle, a notebook, a cushion etc on the left side) with my legs crossed and my laptop on a table in front of me. I don't really notice it having an effect on my legs (possibly because I have sat this way my whole life: when I was four and started Reception (Kindergarten) that's how we were taught to sit on the floor (the teacher would sit in a chair and us all on a carpet in front of her whenever she was reading to us or talking to us etc) and I just got into the habit I guess. It is awful for my back, though. I have back pain anyway and I have two herniated discs, but I sit badly hunched over. My parents would comment on how hunched over I was and I assumed they were exaggerating, but my dad took a pic of me and I was HORRIFIED. I didn't even look like I had a human physiology, my back bent practically into a lower-case letter "n" :/

Yeah, I definitely try to live life to the fullest; I'm all about trying new things, finding new interests, going new places etc. My main priority in life is right now is just find happiness where I can.

I know deep down it's not my fault. I experiences several harrowing traumas as a kid and young adult and it's my way of coping with all the pain.

*but not a long life and my body would be absolutely wrecked. I am making a huge effort with my diet now and if that doesn't work well enough, there are pills you can take and if THAT doesn't work, then I guess I'll take my insulin. I am being upfront and honest with both my doctor and the diabetes clinic about everything, too.

**Despite that initial attack of acute pancreatitis being a decade ago, it was only December 2021 when suddenly the a routing blood test showed by blood sugar levels were dangerously high. We do the count by a different means to the US, but basically anything from 4-7 is normal, as a diabetic they'll accept under 12 but really want it less than 10. More than 20 is serious and 30 is a medical emergency. The machine goes up to 32 and mine was so high the machine couldn't reas it.
You definitely sound like some one who has the strength to take on and beat this type of diabetes!
It's amazing what simple things like fasting or diet change can do for a person. Although it takes incredible discipline and commitment to stick to it.
So it's definitely not easy.

Just got done eating a bunch of sugar right before I pass out.
I need to work on this part of myself again as well.

Unfortunately it seemed like fasting was MUCH easier when I was in my teens & 20's.
But I also did a lot more drugs that rid me of my appetite, stimulants & opioids even.

I find that now in my 30's, fasting is much tougher and harder to do. But it's definitely worth it once you experience that clarity.

I've never thought about it much either (sitting on floors cross legged). I did read awhile back that sitting this way too often can lead to blot clotting in the legs.
It also does a number on my knees. But when I'm at a computer with headphones, it just feels easier to be on a floor and have my drinks or whatever I need within close reach around me.
I should probably invest in a desk or something more comfortable some day though. lol I started looking into it tho once I realized my knees were locking up and getting fucked up.

Sounds like you've been through hell & I completely empathize with you!
I went through a lot growing up as well. Lots of personal things.

I hate when doctors tell you to just find the 'root' of your depression or anxiety or whatever. Like I've been through so much shit & have thought about it and faced it over a million times, but yet here I am. They think reflecting on my past traumas is gonna magically heal my depression or mental state some how. lol I rarely think about all of it but maybe my subconscious does though, I dunno.
My mom had severe depression & anxiety issues, along with most of my family, so I think it's something in our genes. lol

Everyone's different though & some times working those things out works for them.

Damn, so your blood sugar was incredibly high just recently then? Has it come back down since?
Hang in there, I have faith in you my friend!

I lost my mom & my oldest sister last year. And my heroin dealer who I hung with for years up and murdered somebody one day out of the blue & went to prison. Got kicked out of my apartment. Every apartment I've lived in has rude ass people above me constantly stomping & pounding all night & day. It's driven me to mental breakdowns a few times where I became hysterical and all I could do was scream and cry at people.
Life always sucked before that too, but for awhile I was meeting lots of new people and everything was fun & life felt more "mysterious" and "spontaneous". And then everything changed one day. Prolly cause I hit my 30's. lol

I get stuck in nostalgia alot & it leaves me in melancholic states of mind. I had an awful childhood and grew up in trailers and cars with my mom & lots of brothers & sisters. I try to look at all the good times though and reflect on those the most, but it's always a grim reminder of how fleeting life can be.

Our shitty journeys are creating our character though, if I have to look at it a positive way. And you seem like a great & intelligent person.
I hope we find something that takes care of what ails us one day my friend. Holler at me any time!
Cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info!
I will look into this stuff.
No prob!

May I ask what you used fenugreek for? I know it's also an Indian cuisine or used in dishes but I hadn't heard of it until only a few years ago.
I'm assuming probably the same reason I used it. But it has other uses if I remember too.

There's so many plants and things that we don't know about or often get unlooked but might have potentials. Never know! It's interesting to me though.
Nature has a lot to offer us.

No prob!

May I ask what you used fenugreek for? I know it's also an Indian cuisine or used in dishes but I hadn't heard of it until only a few years ago.
I'm assuming probably the same reason I used it. But it has other uses if I remember too.

There's so many plants and things that we don't know about or often get unlooked but might have potentials. Never know! It's interesting to me though.
Nature has a lot to offer us.
Yeah, I'm a big believer in the idea that Mother Nature has been around for quite a while and has all kinds of benefits to offer (besides the obvious ones)...
I've only used fenugreek a couple times (a while back) in cooking...never as a medicinal. But I've heard of that.
Anyway, keep the dialog going.

😊

I was just reading about celebrex the other day!!

I can't believe none of my doctors ever mention a single one of these medicines, no matter how many of them I see or how many times I have to tell them I'm hurting.

My sub doc gave me gabapentin months & months ago, which I was so grateful for & felt like I was being heard.
Gabapentin helped at first. Gave me tons of energy. Lifted my mood. I started putting out albums under my music projects like crazy (which then ended up being hits among my underground crew).

But gabapentin taken daily just stops after awhile. And it takes long ass breaks to get that effect back.

Yeah, I get my Gabapentin script every 28 days and usually run out about 10 days early. I've found that this has stopped me from developing a physical dependence on it - and I've been taking it for over two years - and it's long enough to significantly reduce my tolerance.

Yeah, I get my Gabapentin script every 28 days and usually run out about 10 days early. I've found that this has stopped me from developing a physical dependence on it - and I've been taking it for over two years - and it's long enough to significantly reduce my tolerance.
I usually stick to my prescribed dose or lower, as I've found higher doses can me feel pretty uncoordinated and even dysphoric or nauseous at times. Does this ever happen to you? I see people taking monsterous doses but have always wondered why they bother if that's all that happens in a higher dose. lol

Some days I'll forget I haven't taken it yet because I'll feel the same as I always do. And then some days I'll definitely be able to tell I need it. So it's like it has a withdrawal some times, but not all the time. lol It's a strange one that's for sure. Was highly effective at first though.

Great thread all you guys participating. Love seeing BL'ers helping other BL'ers.

Some real good suggestions in here. :love:
Thought I'd get something going that can help everybody. Never know when you might have to deal with pain! And in today's world, you know might not get any help for it either! lol

Hope you have a great morning Nurse Ratched!

For those who can handle it, I also forgot to mention, THC!
Delta 9 thc has been great for my pain. Cannabis in general always really has.
It's the first thing I reach for when I wake up.
Been a daily smoker for 20 years & it's still effective. lol
Although it's some times not always enough either.

Delta 8 is ok. But it is way to short acting and not as intense or potent like delta 9.
And CBD unfortunately has never done anything for my pain. And it makes me feel like I've taken an anti-psychotic or something to that degree if I take too much CBD,
I think the buzz from regular cannabis or thc is more useful for helping to distract the mind from the pain, IME. Plus THC is an opioid receptor modulator. So it can help make my meds feel like they're actually working some times.

But I can't recommend high THC to people prone to anxiety & panic attacks. Even though I have panic attacks as well, but I've been a seasoned smoker for so long that I've trained myself how to handle the high and not to smoke too much at once if my tolerance is low.

Buprenorhine itself would cause me sever muscle type pain in my arms and hands. Like to the point I couldn't even type. It wasn't like it was part or a withdrawal either from switching off a full agonist. This pain would leave after I would kick. Bupe has worked on back and K bladder pain for me and even recreational but I noticed this effect of it causing a disabling pain in my muscles of my hands and arms (I worked with them) and multiple rounds with bupe.

If you have the time and freedom in life (no work)....getting completely clean including from weed (weed really increases my pain of any sort my entire life....and I have to be off it for a few weeks to really get better). The see how you feel. Your body will produce endorphins constantly which your tolerance will adjust to after being clean.

I've dealt with alot of chronic pain and while I understand that sometimes an opioid is simply the only solution...you get into a vicious cycle of hyperalgesia and up and downs of the dosing where you end up in more pain.

With your type of pain no.doctor is going to give you shit. You need a bad MRI or some definitive proof via diagnostic tests of disease. I would say methadone is the best option from a drug standpoint, you'll get heavy dosing of a strong opipid that way. It's a pain in the ass to go everyday but youre risking getting fented to death on the street or consuming toxic RCs from the internet with God knows what in them (heavy metals and other synthetic remnants).

I've been through all of this shit and you're gonna get fucked and end up in worse health using clandestine or Grey market type drugs at the end of it all. But I know what it feels like to not care what happens tomorrow. But tomorrow comes and you'll be much worse off when it does.

I'm assuming you're in the US, its an extremely unfriendly place for pain patients so there aren't many options unless you leave America for a country with more freedom.

Last edited:
I am brand new here. I am in constant pain and was being prescribed Dilaudid 2 mg injections 3 times x a day but after 5 or so years of that my body wasn’t getting the same relief and I started taking too many muscle relaxants since the opiate wasn’t working - which landed me in the hospital and then detox and rehab 2 years ago. I thought that once my body read managed, we would start back on the Dilaudid at a lower dose and it would work again. Nope. I’m an addict now. Now, the only thing an er doc (as of last night) will give me is regular strength Tylenol. My neuro doc does give me neurontin, but it doesn’t do anything. In fact, nothing in my whole life has ever worked except opiates. (Been on and off them for 30 years.) And I don’t / can’t get high on them either. Never did. Can’t get high on weed. Can’t get high on Subutex. I have a variety of old drugs that I’ve tried that have failed. I just hurt so much. I have no idea how to go about buying or using anything illegal. It’s not a moral issue, believe me. I’m just terrified. I’m in so much pain, I’m really considering if it is really worth it. I don’t want to die. I want to live, but with all this pain, it would be just fine. Anybody help? I’m in atlanta ga if that makes any difference. I’m a real, responsible patient. I wouldn’t get a doctor in any trouble. Especially knowing how my body reacted to things most recently. Referrals? Buy your scrips? Help, please!!!!!!
Im truly sorry you're going through this.

I haven't found anything to help much really ever since I made this post. Once dependent on opioids, it's unlikely that a person will ever feel the same after that. Sure there are exceptions, but when I had to withdrawal from my pain pills & heroin, even after the acute withdrawals were over, I still never felt normal or whole again. Constant depression & body pain. So it landed me on buprenorphine, which worked great for the first 6 months or so.. then it stopped giving me pain relief, but I couldn't go without it or I'd start sweating and yawning and feeling general malaise, to where I had to take it and even then, it was just bringing back to being my new "normal". Raising the dose doesn't do much for buprenorphine either unfortunately.

The drug war is destroying people's lives & their quality of lives. Why should doctors/governments get to be the gatekeepers of medicine? We're forced to live in pain because they want us living in pain. They made it a fricking crime to medicate yourself, yet a majority of society thinks it's okay and "the right thing" to do. Some days I don't wanna be here anymore either. You really start to wonder what kind of world we live in where it's illegal to take the medicines you want or need for pain.

I saw a news clip the other day that there's a new synthetic opioid going around the streets that's 20 times stronger than fentanyl. It's fucking ridiculous & this wouldn't be a problem if adults could access things like morphine, heroin, oxycodone, etc...

I'm interested in hearing what other people do for their pain when they can't get opioids?

I deal with chronic muscle pain, all over my body. I assume it's from depression or undiagnosed fibromyalgia or something.
I tell doctors I'm in constant pain all over my body and of course they just sit there with that "Oh well that sucks" look on their face.

I had mono as a pre-teen, which I have since learned is the Epstein-barr virus & it never leaves your body. It apparently can "come out" and "attack" your body later in life and causes issues like I'm having now. Although I have no idea if it's related.

To put into perspective. I'm sure many have done a good work out and been sore the next day a bit. I feel this way, except I feel this way even without exercise. And it's been a daily thing for almost 2-3 years now.

Ontop of it I've had a fucked up back for almost 2 weeks and now I have a swollen and inflamed tonsil.

I have a tolerance to buprenorphine & gabapentin, so these don't really do anything for pain anymore, although I'm dependent on them, so I have to take them or it just feels worse.
Kratom doesn't work, because I assume my buprenorphine tolerance prohibits any effects from it.

Already tried NSAIDs, dextromethorphan, myrhh oil (which I like, but is expensive as fuck), muscle relaxers, benzos, capsacin, poppy seed tea (although I haven't had good seeds in awhile) etc....

Stil nothing. And feeling this way is not good for my mood or quality of life, but of course I can't count on our lovely doctors and health care system to do anything about it, especially since I have "addiction" on my record now.

I've even felt like fucking with loperamide out of desperation, which I know how risky and dangerous it is and is unlikely to get and stay across the blood brain barrier anyway.

No access to illicit opioids. And even then, having to break the law to get relief truly pisses me off.

Already at the max dosage of bupe. And I assume taking even more will not do shit, as most of your receptors are covered by this point anyway. In fact, when I've tried higher doses, it actually seems to make me feel like I'm in withdrawal.

Methadone is not a viable option either, as I can't go to a clinic every day and it would most likely require giving up my benzos and gabapentin, which I'm also dependent on.

I'm curious if any one else has a similar experience or what you have found to help you. It's truly ridiculous.

I'm interested in hearing what other people do for their pain when they can't get opioids?

I deal with chronic muscle pain, all over my body. I assume it's from depression or undiagnosed fibromyalgia or something.
I tell doctors I'm in constant pain all over my body and of course they just sit there with that "Oh well that sucks" look on their face.

I had mono as a pre-teen, which I have since learned is the Epstein-barr virus & it never leaves your body. It apparently can "come out" and "attack" your body later in life and causes issues like I'm having now. Although I have no idea if it's related.

To put into perspective. I'm sure many have done a good work out and been sore the next day a bit. I feel this way, except I feel this way even without exercise. And it's been a daily thing for almost 2-3 years now.

Ontop of it I've had a fucked up back for almost 2 weeks and now I have a swollen and inflamed tonsil.

I have a tolerance to buprenorphine & gabapentin, so these don't really do anything for pain anymore, although I'm dependent on them, so I have to take them or it just feels worse.
Kratom doesn't work, because I assume my buprenorphine tolerance prohibits any effects from it.

Already tried NSAIDs, dextromethorphan, myrhh oil (which I like, but is expensive as fuck), muscle relaxers, benzos, capsacin, poppy seed tea (although I haven't had good seeds in awhile) etc....

Stil nothing. And feeling this way is not good for my mood or quality of life, but of course I can't count on our lovely doctors and health care system to do anything about it, especially since I have "addiction" on my record now.

I've even felt like fucking with loperamide out of desperation, which I know how risky and dangerous it is and is unlikely to get and stay across the blood brain barrier anyway.

No access to illicit opioids. And even then, having to break the law to get relief truly pisses me off.

Already at the max dosage of bupe. And I assume taking even more will not do shit, as most of your receptors are covered by this point anyway. In fact, when I've tried higher doses, it actually seems to make me feel like I'm in withdrawal.

Methadone is not a viable option either, as I can't go to a clinic every day and it would most likely require giving up my benzos and gabapentin, which I'm also dependent on.

I'm curious if any one else has a similar experience or what you have found to help you. It's truly ridiculous.

Ugh it really is ridiculous.

Heat.. Mainly my hot water bottle. Even when I was in hospital on morphine for pancreatitis I wanted my hot water bottle. They gave me one of those hot/cold packs (because obviously patients can't have a HWB lol) heated in the microwave and ugh, those things are useless. So are wheat packs.

Other than that, distraction -- laughter is good and music. Also learn about the pain/fear cycle (like with childbirth).

Good luck,

Abbey x

Ugh it really is ridiculous.

Heat.. Mainly my hot water bottle. Even when I was in hospital on morphine for pancreatitis I wanted my hot water bottle. They gave me one of those hot/cold packs (because obviously patients can't have a HWB lol) heated in the microwave and ugh, those things are useless. So are wheat packs.

Other than that, distraction -- laughter is good and music. Also learn about the pain/fear cycle (like with childbirth).

Good luck,

Abbey x
I like to use a heating pad some times. I've read that heat can make things worse though depending on the type of pain & where it's at.

Supposedly cold showers can help with pain but fuck that. lol

Totally agree with music. It doesn't always take away the pain but it can give me an outlet for the rage or melancholy I feel when in pain & can distract me some times for a few minutes.

I like to use a heating pad some times. I've read that heat can make things worse though depending on the type of pain & where it's at.

Supposedly cold showers can help with pain but fuck that. lol

Totally agree with music. It doesn't always take away the pain but it can give me an outlet for the rage or melancholy I feel when in pain & can distract me some times for a few minutes.

I think with muscular pain heat is good because it opens the blood vessels? But I never know and I would not have a cold shower. I wish I had a spa.. I'd sit in that for ages.

My worst and most consistent pain over the years though is dental. I actually prefer this to say, back pain, headache, nerve pain (have had in hands), even earache can be very nasty.

Toothache is intense but it's simple and very localised. I've had acute pancreatitis and disagree with the idea that toothache is some of the worst pain known to man (and that includes abscesses and dry socket). If you ever need help with that I'm almost like a backyard dentist 😉

Oh and yeah, music releases dopamine (especially classical). So does laughter and humour in general. Sex also releases various good chemicals.. But I've never had it so I wouldn't know 😇

I think with muscular pain heat is good because it opens the blood vessels? But I never know and I would not have a cold shower. I wish I had a spa.. I'd sit in that for ages.

My worst and most consistent pain over the years though is dental. I actually prefer this to say, back pain, headache, nerve pain (have had in hands), even earache can be very nasty.

Toothache is intense but it's simple and very localised. I've had acute pancreatitis and disagree with the idea that toothache is some of the worst pain known to man (and that includes abscesses and dry socket). If you ever need help with that I'm almost like a backyard dentist 😉

Oh and yeah, music releases dopamine (especially classical). So does laughter and humour in general. Sex also releases various good chemicals.. But I've never had it so I wouldn't know 😇
That reminds me, I need to get into a dentist. lol

I've been spitting blood for years. Usually when I wake up in the morning, I will go spit first thing & it's usually a bunch of blood. I know it comes from my gums when I'm sleeping, but why I'm not sure. Some times it won't happen for a few weeks and I'll think I'm good but then one day it does & then it'll happen every day for months at a time.

Some times during the day they'll just start randomly bleeding too. I find that it's at it's worse in the winter or when the air is dry.
I've kept up with brushing my teeth, mouthwash, oil pulling, peroxide, everything & nothing seems to prevent it. In fact I think some nights I'll brush my teeth and wake up in the morning & my mouth will be full of blood.

I don't have any noticeable cavities. I might have some holes in some teeth that I can't see. But I've been to doctors & they've said they seen no signs of any kind of cancer in my mouth and no inflammed gums or other signs of gum disease. Any time I try to look up why some one's gums would bleed when they sleep, all I get are med sites about "bleeding when you brush".. which is not what I have. lol

I'm wondering if it's periodontal disease? Too many years of meth/alcohol/drugs? No clue. But I'm surprised I'm not anemic at this point.

I don't have any noticeable cavities. I might have some holes in some teeth that I can't see.

Sounds fine ☺️ Bleeding gums aren't a big deal in the greater scheme of dental problems.. I've never had them bleed randomly and to the extent I'm spitting blood though. It sounds like they just dry out a lot sometimes.

Mouthwashes can dry them out more.. My GP recommended Biotene (I'm trying it now lol) but it's just symptomatic relief. Just try drinking more water in general. Dehydration is a big issue for me cos I'm diabetic, but hardly *anyone* drinks enough water. Coffee, tea and caffeinated drinks are diuretics, so you just pee all the water out.

I'm hopeless at drinking water so I just make sure it's sitting in front of me or in the car or whatever. I also get powdered stuff with electrolytes, but that's probably a waste of money for people without digestive issues. Still, it gives it some flavour 😊

Sounds fine ☺️ Bleeding gums aren't a big deal in the greater scheme of dental problems.. I've never had them bleed randomly and to the extent I'm spitting blood though. It sounds like they just dry out a lot sometimes.

Mouthwashes can dry them out more.. My GP recommended Biotene (I'm trying it now lol) but it's just symptomatic relief. Just try drinking more water in general. Dehydration is a big issue for me cos I'm diabetic, but hardly *anyone* drinks enough water. Coffee, tea and caffeinated drinks are diuretics, so you just pee all the water out.

I'm hopeless at drinking water so I just make sure it's sitting in front of me or in the car or whatever. I also get powdered stuff with electrolytes, but that's probably a waste of money for people without digestive issues. Still, it gives it some flavour 😊
Yeah I quit using mouthwashes with alcohol in them. I do use Biotene but it only works for about 4hrs, so it doesn't cover me when I sleep. Although I use it anyway. lol

You might be on to something. I usually live off caffeine in some form. And my diet is all over the place, which made me wonder if maybe I'm not getting enough vitamin C either.

I thought maybe I was a heavy mouth breather but I've had times where I've taken like 20 minute naps and was half conscious and knew my mouth was closed, and they still started to bleed.

If I go too long without a cigarette or eating, they start to randomly bleed as well.