• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids P. Somniferum Pod Tincture Sitting For 1 Month - Overkill or Still Good?

muie

Bluelighter
I have a 40% vodka tincture of poppy stems left sitting since August, 15th. I was honestly hoping to leave it sit for 7-10 days but extenuating circumstances were such that this was the last thing on my mind. This is the soonest I could get to it.

I am hoping that it hasn't been too long a time since I initially left it. I assume its just a matter of more chlorophyll and flavonoids being extracted from the long time its been sitting.

1. Any problems leaving the tincture to sit this long?

2. Should I toss it out?

I started with the stems coincidentally though very glad I did now, as they are the weaker part of the plant. In the even that this was a complete failure, I would loose quite a large-ish amount though its not as bad as it could have been had it been pods, had the situation required for the tincture to be thrown out.

Plans are to fortify it further by straining it and using the vodka left over again and again with more stems & eventually pods, straining the material and using the same alcohol several times over. After finishing the stems, either make another tincture of 'pods only' or add onto the tincture of stems.

p.s. I only used a 375mL bottle of 40% Canadian Vodka for this tincture. I plan to leave it sitting for a week to ten days next time.

Last edited:
I would just let half the alcohol evaporate off and call it a day.

But I'm lazy and yes anything over 48-72 ,hours is by definition overkill and is going to result in a lesser quality product. Look up iceolator opium tek,imho the best extraction tek which yields memorable opium and doesn't necessitate any dangerous chemicals all you need is water , pods, 2 liter empty coke bottles and a freezer.

Original Laudanum was made using a minimum 15 day soak time and had a shelf life of over a year before the price would be reduced. The problem with soak times greater than 2 weeks is the increased amount of Noscapine (formerly called Narcotine) which is a powerful emetic. Modern Tincture of opium & paregoric have the Noscapine removed because of the nausea and vomiting it can cause. Problem is that different strains of papevers contain varying amounts. Probably best to start slow when trying it for the first time. Also have to agree with Bingey that iceolator method seems superior. Worth checking out.