• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Oxymorphone vs op oxycontin

rushingad

Greenlighter
First post. If someone would take 250-300mg of oxycontin at once, how much oxymorphone would they need to take to get an equivalent effect?

This depends greatly on ROA. oxymorphone has a shitty oral bioavailability, but good nasal. oxycodone has pretty solid bioavailability across the board. If you're talking IV, you can find a conversion chart on the site.

First post. If someone would take 250-300mg of oxycontin at once, how much oxymorphone would they need to take to get an equivalent effect?
I was on 320mgs of Oxycontin a day and oxycodone IR for breakfree and the doc is now trying me on 160mgs Oxymorphone a day and it isn't even working, I go through wd symptom's and increased pain but I do have some Oxycontin on the side to get me through until I reup and I will be going back to Oxycontin no doubt.

twotoomany talks the truth about the bioavailability of Oxymorphone and I find neither oral or insufflating it has no stronger effect.

Many people say Oxymorphone is stronger than Oxycontin but I find this to be false in my case.

they say Oxymorphone is double the strength of Oxycontin

^^i just got off Oxymorphone and find it twice as strong and way better/ smoother then Oxycodone. Nasally, it was way stronger. Now, obiviouslly that is my opinion, that just happens to be shared by many people. However, brain chemistry is different among people. It simply does not work for everybody. That's fair, in my book.

^^i just got off Oxymorphone and find it twice as strong and way better/ smoother then Oxycodone. Nasally, it was way stronger. Now, obiviouslly that is my opinion, that just happens to be shared by many people. However, brain chemistry is different among people. It simply does not work for everybody. That's fair, in my book.

I agree. 100%. Nasal bioavailability was way higher for me. The only thing I DIDN'T like was its short half life. I found myself in WDs lot sooner than with oxycodone.

I must admit, I had the Oxymorphone ER. That stuff lasted 12 hours for me. Good stuff for those who benifit from it.

SK I completely agree but it doesn't work with my chemistry, the reason I switch to Oxymorphone is because of the advise I received here. I am thankful for the members here, I have learned a few things.

Funny. When I took the Oxymorphone ER, my doc had me on Percocet 5/325. Only 3 Percocet for breakthrough pain.Every time the Percocet wore off, I felt like I was going into withdrawals. I really don't like Oxycodone after having Oxymorphone. To me, Oxycodone is not as clean. Oxymorphone is more like the best parts of Oxycodone and morphine put together. All my opinion. However, now I'm on plain old Percocet 5/325, four times a day. Over two weeks, I went cold turkey off 20mg Oxymorphone ER, using only Percocet. Aside from heightened anxiety and feeling out of place, I had "zero" withdrawal from the equivalent of 40mg of Oxycodone( if you go by the Oxymorphone is twice as strong as Oxycodone belief). I do believe it is. Hope I didn't go too off topic. I will follow thread if it keeps going.

Last edited:
Speed King, what do you mean when you say clean? I'm currently in palliative care for cancer. My doctor is racking his brain over giving me OC 80 3x daily as opposed to 2x. The OC is really expensive so he mentioned morphine, methadone, and fentanyl as options, but never oxymorphone. I might ask about Opana the next time I'm in. Thing is that I'm still pretty early. It's just that I've run out of treatments and it's still growing. I got pain, but I'm not the worst I'll ever be so maybe he's holding off.

Fredthegreat, 40mg Opana/Oxymorphone is just as expensive as 80mg Oxycontin, my 120 40mg Oxymorphone prescription is 1560$ a month, about 13$ each. The last time I checked 120 80mg Oxycontin was about 1320$ a month, about 11$ each. I am going to switch back to 150 60mg Oxycontin which will be about 1500$ a month and it seems to work better than Oxymorphone, that surprised me, I thought for sure I was going do drop my pain scale from a 6-7 out of 10 to a 5.

Fred,

What type of cancer, if you don't mind me asking? Any metastatic sites, especially brain or bone? Any liver involvement? Are you on a steroid (Prednisone, dexamethasone, etc.)?

I'm in the hospice/palliative care field. We frequently find when cancer pain is difficult to treat with narcotics only that adding a steroid can make a big difference, especially in instances of bone pain. Bone pain does not respond well to opiates but can be treated with steroids and NSAIDS, especially Ibuprofen.

If cost is a factor, you can't beat methadone. It has a longer half-life so if you're burning through OCs in less than 12 hours it may really help with establishing consistent pain control. It is also great for nerve pain.

Your doctor should not withhold adequate pain medication from you just because he is expecting your pain to increase over time based on your condition. Oxycodone does not have a traditional "ceiling" effect, unlike other drugs (i.e. morphine metabolites causing toxicity at high doses). If your pain is not at a tolerable level for *you* push for a change based on quality of life.