• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Oxycodone use after subutex

Oxylover93

Greenlighter
I did 1 mg subutex insufflated about 14 hrs ago. Am I ok to go ahead and do a 30 mg oxy? I want to make sure it won't be a waste..

SO, How'd it go? If it was anything like my experience with the EXACT same situation, you didnt really feel crap....and there's a very good scientific reason for it... I wont get into unless you want me to. But in a nutshell, the Buprenorphine has your receptors so blocked that you are more than likely not going to feel much, if anything. In my case I was on Subutex, stopped about 72 hours before I intended to dose my oxy, prepped a decent size shot for myself [actually a little more than normal], did it, and....didnt even get the taste in the back of the throat....nothing..nada. So my stupid self tried again....and again, and still the same result. As a matter of fact I tried it a few more times and the best I could come up with is to wait around 96 hours after the last buprenorphine dose because of its hella long half-life and super high affinity to your receptors. YMMV

Yep I tried the same thing a few days ago, I'm on 5.7mg Zubsolv daily for 16 months a few days ago I went to half a 5.7 pill for 3 days, then stopped for 36 hours, ate 60mg IR Oxy and I did did feel it, not 100% though, not fI'll on euphoria I just felt a good body buzz slight warmth, bupe just blocks sooo damn long you'd have to wait at least 4 to 7 days after to feel more effect and by 48 hours off bupe I'm starting to feel like shit so it's just not worth it to me anymore bupe saved my life and bank account!!!

I admit it did kill pain I was having so pain killing effects you'll get, full on euphoria no

1mg blockaded your IV oxy dose after 14 hours? Damn. I know bupe has that high affinity blocking effect but for so long on so little...wow!

Yeah, Phil, about 2mg had me blocked after 72 hours even with a 90mg oxy IV dose [[HR note:this is only a anecdote regarding my personal tolerance,not an advocation or reference!]].....It's a pretty incredible drug, too bad its become a money making tool for the DEA and doctors now instead of being utilized to its full potential. When the docs milk all of the money they can from it and its patent they'll stick it in clinics for huge amounts of money per dose just like they did methadone so the private companies can get their cut of the pie...and all along us pain sufferers will suffer more

Buprenorphine has been a lifesaver for me, at 35 years old now, around 2010 chronic relapses and the "program" just simply wasn't enough anymore, so after being on Bupe treatment for 16 months now I have my life back, but lately there has been alot of wondering with what happens if I get into a trauma situation, an emergency surgery of sorts, how would pain be treated, could pain be treated while on Buprenorphine? So I decided to see for myself and like I said earlier I dosed down to 2.85mg of Zubsolv for 3 days then went 36 hours cold then took 60mg IR Oxy oral and yes it did have an effect, not full on but I did feel it somewhat. I've found now that I am more comfortable taking around 2 mg of Bupe each day, still controls cravings and withdrawal, but in the case I do need pain control in a hospital I will be much better off at a low dose of bupe than say 8mg.

Raizd, when I was an EMT and we encountered a patient that was on buprenorphine maintenance we would give them the injectable version of it. Discussing brands isn't allowed but it's a widely common brand found in hospitals. I also used to be on bupe and wondered the same thing as you and the answer... Well.. It just kinda sucks, you'd just be given more bupe.

I don't know, I still feel like a sub-lethal dose or two of fent or dil would cut through the blockade, no?

Not sure about that bud. The binding affinity of Buprenorphine is so strong that it's nearly impossible to reverse with Naloxone, let alone trying to get another agonist to bind, so, my vote is no for that theory... At least not while you've been on a maintained dose of bupe.

Hey guys thank you for all the replies. Anyway I decided to play it safe and wait until today (which was very hard to do btw lol) so I was only on bupe for 2 days Tuesday and wednesday. 1 mg insufflated each day. So it wasn't built up in my system or anything. I have done 60 mg oxy split into 4 15s throughout the day today. Every dose was just as effective as it should be. Which I think would be expected at such a low dose of bupe for only 2 days. Only thing I noticed is nausea which I never get from doing oxys but I get it very bad from subutex insufflated. So that was still lingering around today. Probably about to do another 15 and call it a day and maybe get back on the subs tomorrow.

DelRio thanks for the reply and info, I hear different things all the time, one being this recommendation from the National Alliance of Buprenorphine Treatment. .

http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=51

Another guy this Psychiatrist/Anethesiologist Dr. Junig says that even at 4mg bupe a fat soluble opiate such as Dilaudid or Fentanyl IV titrated at a high enough dose will absolutely out compete the bupe, the thing is what doctor would feel comfortable enough allowing for such high amounts of those specific agonists.

My question DelRio is as it is my understanding that one who is already tolerant to Buprenorphine really receives no analgesia from further dosing of buprenorphine, now is that different when receiving straight IV buprenorphine? Did the IV bupe help your pain when you were on the subs?

Ok I'll try to answer as best as I can at the moment but first off I've never IV'd bupe per say, except to patients so I can't offer a first hand answer on the analgesic value of it when one is already on it for maintenance treatment. However, anecdotal evidence would suggest that you probably wouldn't achieve a greater analgesic effect from a higher dosage, be it IV or not. When I was on bupe I did notice a sort of "ceiling" effect of which after about 24-30mg it no longer mattered how much more I took I wouldn't feel it any stronger which leads me to believe the IV route would be the same. And as far as the doctor's theory of a fat soluble agonist being able to "displace" bupe, it's just that, a theory that works on paper with the right variables. The truth of the matter is that it comes down to binding affinity. If a drug isn't strong enough to "out-bind" or overpower the bupe it's just not going to displace it where it matters, the opioid receptors. It may very well displace it in other areas such as the gut lining or fat tissue but not at the receptor sites. Oh and not to mention, I would surely hope a doctor wouldn't attempt that theory in real life

Nice. I really love these discussions yo. Discussion on BL is at the forefront of triage policy for sedating people on buprenorphine maintenance! Heeeee, I love it.

From my experience, I can see someone who's been on large maintenance doses for a while (say, 4-6MG's or more a day for a long time) having a full blockade (and even someone ODing on bupe to not respond to a constant naloxone influx), but I've cut through 1-2mg/day or less smoking tar, so yeah, OP's experience is pretty analogous to mine.

But my fuck does it have some serious binding affinity.

Edit: I really love buprenorphine. It is probably the best opioid ever discovered IMHO in terms of its versatility. The blocking of full agonists in emergency situation is an unfortunate downside.

Last edited:
Phil, amen to your edit brother....bupe is a savior, but a straight up BITCH at the same time...well we can't have it all ESPECIALLY with an Opiate LOL!

Why???

Hey guys thank you for all the replies. Anyway I decided to play it safe and wait until today (which was very hard to do btw lol) so I was only on bupe for 2 days Tuesday and wednesday. 1 mg insufflated each day. So it wasn't built up in my system or anything. I have done 60 mg oxy split into 4 15s throughout the day today. Every dose was just as effective as it should be. Which I think would be expected at such a low dose of bupe for only 2 days. Only thing I noticed is nausea which I never get from doing oxys but I get it very bad from subutex insufflated. So that was still lingering around today. Probably about to do another 15 and call it a day and maybe get back on the subs tomorrow.

I don't get why you are jumping around. If you prefer the Oxys, why aren't you just using them for the pain instead of the other. Can't you just tone your use down on oxys by using the Subutex and then go back to the oxys and take them responsibly rather than chasing a "high"? I'm just curious why you'd jump around and bother with the subs at all. If you want to get off oxys, i think you're probably not ready yet since you seemed so excited to take them, so save the subs you have and wait a little longer - the time will come when you say enough, trust me. And God Speed on that one! :)