• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Oxycodone and Insomnia

Goose22

Greenlighter
So SWIM has been suffering from insomnia for about half a year. Which is about the same time length SWIM Had been taking Oxy. Well for about a month SWIM was off the stuff and SWIM began to sleep pretty decently for 2 weeks after that month...However about a week ago SWIM had a 3 day binge, maybe totaling 50mg a day. It's been 5 days since and SWIM maybe got 4 hours of sleep (This isn't an overexaggeration). Question is, can a binge like that really cause Insomnia for this long? It's not like SWIM was taking Oxy every day these past few months... The dosages were at pretty random intervals.
Maybe SWIM just has Insomnia to begin with and the oxy is just making it worse?

Sorry If I rambled...I'm just exhausted at this point. I appreciate any response!

Come on man be scientific... it happens when you do it, and doesn't when you don't? I mean that is not even scientific... it is common sense right? And when you come back to opiates you kind of pick up where you left off. So ya this can and does happen all the time. You will be fine.

In your post you write SWIM this and SWIM that and then at the end you kind of come clean and say "I'm just exhausted at this point". Lose the SWIM talk as it's not allowed on the site and better yet, does nothing to protect you legally blah blah.....

Yes, I am on pretty high doses of oxy and it definitely screws one's sleep up Big Time! During my night times, I'm lucky to get more than 2 hours at a time. Not to mention, I can't go to sleep for the night until 2-3:00 in the morning. Then I'm up around 5:30 - 6:00 for a couple hours. Then I usually fall asleep around 8:00 or so and sleep on and off until 1-2:00 pm. A truly fucked up existence but welcome to my life. Luckily I'm not working right now, so I can sort of get away with this but I feel like a damn vampire. I hate it!

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I just didn't think that the Insomnia would last that long. I mean I can almost guarantee it'll last past 10 days and that just seemed crazy.

Come on man be scientific... it happens when you do it, and doesn't when you don't? I mean that is not even scientific... it is common sense right? And when you come back to opiates you kind of pick up where you left off. So ya this can and does happen all the time. You will be fine.

You´ll be fine. The lack of sleep makes us really wonder about everything and it is exhausting.
Hope you get better!

Yep! Basically with any opiates. It´s funny because we often think the opposite as the effects make you calm and sleepy for instance.
It doesn´t really work like that. I still have problems to sleep and I´m sober for a while now.

I too was having problems sleeping on oxy,my dr gave me doxepin 50mg for sleep and I haven't had any trouble sleeping since!

ALL opiates make sleep difficult. My pet theory: imagine you have x amount of energy, and you burn it at y rate. Therefore x*y=z, z representing the normal amount of sleep you get per day. If you burn energy at a lower rate, or, more specifically, spend half your day nodding out, y decreases, x stays the same, therefore z has to decrease as well.

tl;dr, dont know math: opiates fuck up your sleep

I always found that Oxy got me more stimulated than other opiated. But maybe thats just me.

I always found that Oxy got me more stimulated than other opiated. But maybe thats just me.

I agree and to me this is why I love oxycodone above all opiates/oids. It is the one distinguishable characteristic that makes oxy king in my book. To be perfectly honest, things like euphoria and analgesia are very difficult for me to find vastly different among the opioids (at equipotent doses) but the boost in energy is noticable. I also find it quite persistant as well meaning even as my tolerance builds to other effects, the stimulation stays the same.

I agree and to me this is why I love oxycodone above all opiates/oids. It is the one distinguishable characteristic that makes oxy king in my book. To be perfectly honest, things like euphoria and analgesia are very difficult for me to find vastly different among the opioids (at equipotent doses) but the boost in energy is noticable. I also find it quite persistant as well meaning even as my tolerance builds to other effects, the stimulation stays the same.

i agree. hell, give me 7 roxy 30s and ill clean your whole damned house, mow your lawn, etc. lol. BUT, at the end of the day, I cant sleep for shit after doing any appreciable amount of opiates.

According to my addiction doc both oxycodone and hydrocodone cause mania. Yes, like the manic part of bipolar disorder. When your in a full blown manic episode you tend not to sleep.

This doesn't apply to all opiates. Generally just the ones that end in -codone.

Yep...to a cpp the stimulation is quite welcome, helps you get through a days work whether at home or job.

Ya, I was NEVER able to sleep while on oxy. On subs and had gotten some, was gonna hold on to them all for today but couldn't resist, thought the high would be dulled but I had been preparing and shit kept me up all night, did 6 total 15mg ones so 90mg took two xanax(i'd already had 5 that day) and still couldn't sleep, was up cleaning the house and everything. Finally I snorted Doxylamine(that anti-histamine sleep aid) and started nodding and went to sleep...also had had 3 grams of Gabapentin that day and it tends to make me awake too. But oxy is espcially stimulating compared other opiates, all of them give me energy, but Oxy the most where I just wanna do stuff...only thing that makes me nod on them is weed or Doxylamine...Benzo's just kinda go well with them, but I don't nod, but that might be a tolerance thing. Think thats why so many people take xanax and oxy together is to calm them down....

Well to be honest I remember when I started abusing, I would snort Oxy all night long and each time I would nod I'd do some more to stay awake. My breath and heart beat were dangerously shallow but what a fucking bliss. But I get carry away with the happy memories. What I wanted to say is that to me the energy would last mostly the first hour (90 mins) ish of usage but then the lethargy kicked in. Which was also great. God do I miss that.