• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Overall better stimulant?

mozzarella

Greenlighter
I am not entirely sure how to ask this or even if its appropriate for this forum. However this forum has had some very good answers to drug questions.

I am looking for info on how stimulant medications taken legally at a prescribed dosage and by mouth/orally compare to each other and which stimulant drug is the overall best for helping with clinical daytime excessive sleepiness and improved cognitive functioning.
Not looking to get high, only looking for some help to make it though another day.
Looking at amphetamines, dexamphetamine, lisdexamphetamine, vigils, or methylphenidate.

Can anyone share their thoughts and experiences?

I think Provigil or Nuvigil (modafanil/Armodafanil) are your best bet. Sure the amphetamines and methylphenidate would work, but you also have a far greater chance of feeling high and building tolerance.

I think Provigil or Nuvigil (modafanil/Armodafanil) are your best bet. Sure the amphetamines and methylphenidate would work, but you also have a far greater chance of feeling high and building tolerance.

That's what I was thinking about the vigils.
But just to be clear, by high, I only meant not abusing it for recreational purposes. I wouldn't argue with a nice euphoria.

Is the tolerance of amphetamines actually a concern for people who aren't abusing the drug?

Less so than those abusing them, but tolerance is still a factor to consider when using amphetamine therapeutically as well.

I agree with this. Modafinil/armodafinil should give you far fewer unpleasant side-effects than amphetamine based drugs, and shouldn't make your anxiety levels skyrocket if you're prone to it. I'd suggest selecting the days you want to take them (skip weekends or short schooldays, for example), since personally I find that tolerance builds almost as quickly as Adderall. In terms of cognition, modafinil is pretty much the only stimulant that's been shown in studies to objectively improve cognitive function; many people swear that methylphenidate and amphetamine also do, but my experiences with MPH, EPH and MPA were that they left me with the memory of a goldfish until they wore off. Don't expect euphoria however, modafinil just leaves you with a feeling of contentedness and optimism, no rush or disproportionate bliss.