• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Over the counter “paranormal” drug used by 3.1 million Americans to get high

If 3.1 million have taken super-doses of cough syrup products, then I worry that the raw number of people using combination-syrups (e.g. with APAP, doxylamine, etc.) is numbingly high. I'd think that at least 3-5% wouldn't find out that their syrup must contain just DXM.

It must be outright nasty taking 500mg of DXM with 70-90mg of doxylamine. 8o The urinary retention that could cause as well!

My ~350ml bottle of nyquil contains ~12g of APAP along with the doxylamine mentioned above. Combined with the "it's OTC so it must be safe in high doses" mentality... so much potential pain.

I never understood why people would want to take psychoactive doses of DXM? I've never done it so I can't say anything about the experience myself, but from what I've heard from friends and read online it doesn't seem like hardly anyone has a positive experience with it. Just seems like a stupid thing little 14 and 15 year old boys do when they first discover mind-altering substances...

Because it's fun.

Last edited:
paranormal activity. DXM isnt that bad, in my day kids would take 10-15 Dramamine and then commit suicide. Hopefully dxm doesnt cause that kind of reaction

paranormal activity. DXM isnt that bad, in my day kids would take 10-15 Dramamine and then commit suicide. Hopefully dxm doesnt cause that kind of reaction

this post leads me to believe 'in your day' was a couple months back in high school =p

I never understood why people would want to take psychoactive doses of DXM? I've never done it so I can't say anything about the experience myself, but from what I've heard from friends and read online it doesn't seem like hardly anyone has a positive experience with it. Just seems like a stupid thing little 14 and 15 year old boys do when they first discover mind-altering substances...

I think the stigma of nothing but teenagers takimg DXM is rather stupid. It can be a rather interesting dissociative and if your having a good trip it can feel fairly euphoric not to mention just strange. I don't like it as much as ketamine or nitrous oxide but it can be damn fun on occasion and under the right circumstances. I found it to resemble PCP more so then ketamine as ketamine felt much cleaner and i could function on it alot better then on DXM or PCP. Granted ive only taken PCP once so a low dose might be nice as i think i took way too much.

So it's not just a stupid OTC drug of last resort like dimenhydrinate is. Dextromethorphan can be fun since it's a dissociative that just happened to have been marketed as a cough suppressant and is widely available OTC. This is not like taking a drug like dimenhydrinate (gravol, dramamine, etc) that in high doses is a strong anti-cholinergic and makes you so delerious you don't know what is reality and what isint. Drugs such as anti-cholinergic deleriants really are down there with nutmeg and are only for the truely desperate.

I never got any paranormal feelings from DXM but ive never gone above the second platuea. I have gotten OBE's on ketamine and some very real looking ones on nitrous oxide. On nitrous ive seen myself sitting in the dentist chair while the friendly dentist was working on me. I get rather nervous when it comes to getting my teeth worked on so the more spaced out i am on the laughing gas the easier the dentists job is and the happier i am.

Last edited:
Agreed. Don't trash talk dex or underestimate it. That stuff took me to places i never thought the mind could goto. Dragynfyr is probably just another opiate/smack addict just like most blighters these days. His doc is WAY COOLER.

Agreed. Don't trash talk dex or underestimate it. That stuff took me to places i never thought the mind could goto. Dragynfyr is probably just another opiate/smack addict just like most blighters these days. His doc is WAY COOLER.

1) Fuck off :)

2) What thread are you reading? I'm pro-dxm.. I JUST weighed 415mg and ate it like 12 minutes ago in fact lol Where's this hostility coming from? I even mentioned doing Remote Viewing experiments with it back in high school (successfully) and having a legit interest in looking into more research today.. I would never have got into meditation or chakras or anything like that if it weren't for dex, I've got plenty of respect for it.

soo yeah, kinda confused lol wha'd I do to get called a heroin addict? :p lol I'm a pot head dude, with a <3 of psychedelics, dissociative included

don't be haten' yo

Alot of people hate on Dex but it was good enough for me to get hooked on that shit just like I did with K, once you get into the high level doses (1-1.5g) its not kids stuff anymore, that shit will have me way more fucked up than if I was to take a 2-3 hits of acid.

i find DXM trips are like a dirty ketamine feeling... but thats just me, i know lots of people enjoy it...

one of the cheapest and most effective(shudder) drugs in the world is sold at most large stores. OMG PPL THAT DONT PAY FOR THEIR PRESCRIPTIONS R GETTING HIGH ALERT THE MEDIA

this article is 10+ years late

Thanks to the person who posted this.

It's an incredibly old post. But I was searching for others who may have shared my experience.

I went on DXM bingest as much as possible for 2-3 years in my late 20's. Amazing and crazy things took place during those years. I had paranomal events that were witnessed with people who were not on DXM. I've had shared hallucinations with other people. Profound sense of intuition, creativity, empathy. I noticed electrical disturbances around me while I was on it. It got to the point when whenever something weird would happen to my friend, she would text me and jokingly ask me if I was on dxm. lol I've also had what I felt like were near-death like experiences on this drug that totally kicked my ass.

Wasn't sure if it was just me who had this experience. DXM is definitely not a "kids" drug & deserves some respect in that regard.