• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Other drugs to use to get through opiate withdrawal?

Relapz

Bluelighter
Alright so a little side note, I am fairly experienced with opiate withdrawal, I've gone through it about 5 times from heroin to oxy to suboxone.

But every time I've detoxed it's been in a rehab or jail, this time I'll be on the street.

A little back story: my grandfather just passed away and he has $300,000 in his will for me. But one of the clauses is I must remain opiate free to receive it. I'm going to be drug tested weekly for a year and each week I pass the opiate screenings i will receive a portion of the money.

So by next Friday, and for the rest of this year I need to be clean from opiates. The lawyer told me he won't pull any strings for me but that my grandfather told him he didn't care about being positive for other drugs.

So this is the last day I'll be using heroin, and i work full time so I need to try and be functional for work without dope.

A few questions,

Could MDMA help with motivation and depression if i took it for a couple days of withdrawals?

What about cocaine?

And what is the best benzo for opiate withdrawal, I should be able to get my hands on Xanax, but I figured Valium would be better cause of the longer half life

Billy Idol used cocaine to quit heroin.

He was doing the cocaine accessible to Billy Idol during the 1980's, though, so keep that in mind

I wouldn't recommend using illegal drugs to get off opiates. I would see a doctor who specializes in addiction therapy. They can help you wean off with subs and you won't have to miss work. If you don't want opiate replacement, gabapentin and clonidine would be helpful. A benzo like valium would help you sleep. Honestly, you don't seem like you are ready to quit drugs and forced sobriety just doesn't work. I wouldn't want to see you blow through all that money and getting addicted to something else.

My philosophy on this subject is as such: If you are seriously trying to quit Opioids, in my opinion, it's not the drugs you're treating, but the addiction itself; the addictive behavior that has caused you to rely on Opioids until now. If you are in an attempt to break away from this behabior, then I feel it's counterproductive to introduce other addictive drugs like Benzodiazepines or even other Opioids. You could potentially develop another dependency in the process.

For this reason, I really try to approach Opioid withdrawal only with drugs that are essentially non-addictive. This way, I can treat my symptoms properly without prolonging the withdrawal. Like T. said, the two drugs that, again, in my opinioin are the gold standard for withdrawal; Gabapentin (Neurontin) and Clonidine (Catapres). For myself, Cannabis also provides significant relief. For instance, if I smoke, I have the potential to develop an appetite and actually eat a meal, which in the long run, will make you feel much better.

If you do choose to use Benzodiazepines, I would recommend only using them for the very tough times. For me, the really tough times are evenings as I try to get to sleep. Rolling around in my bed with not hope of sleep for 8 hours is misery. Also, sleep deprivation is a major contributing factor to how shitty you feel during withdrawal. Also, for this purpose, Melatonin could be of help. You've probably heard of it, but it's a natural (produced in the body) substance that aids in sleep. For the record, I highly advise against the use of sedating antihistamines during this process like Diphenhydramine (Benadryl). For some, they are alright, but for many, they contribute significantly to symptoms like restless legs and akathisia.

As for the Amphetamines of any sort, including MDMA, I would really advise against it. Stimulants make you feel great when you're on them, sure, but they are very hard on your body in so many ways. You are already in a weakened state from withdrawal and further insult could put you into a very bad way. This is just my opinion.

I wouldn't recommend using illegal drugs to get off opiates. I would see a doctor who specializes in addiction therapy. They can help you wean off with subs and you won't have to miss work. If you don't want opiate replacement, gabapentin and clonidine would be helpful. A benzo like valium would help you sleep. Honestly, you don't seem like you are ready to quit drugs and forced sobriety just doesn't work. I wouldn't want to see you blow through all that money and getting addicted to something else.

That is true, I agree with you too. But i think I need a benzo to be able to handle this without simply replasing off the rip. I'll do my best to limit it to the first 3 days, and only afternoon/nighttime. It it becomes a problem I will get rid of the rest of them.

My philosophy on this subject is as such: If you are seriously trying to quit Opioids, in my opinion, it's not the drugs you're treating, but the addiction itself; the addictive behavior that has caused you to rely on Opioids until now. If you are in an attempt to break away from this behabior, then I feel it's counterproductive to introduce other addictive drugs like Benzodiazepines or even other Opioids. You could potentially develop another dependency in the process.

For this reason, I really try to approach Opioid withdrawal only with drugs that are essentially non-addictive. This way, I can treat my symptoms properly without prolonging the withdrawal. Like T. said, the two drugs that, again, in my opinioin are the gold standard for withdrawal; Gabapentin (Neurontin) and Clonidine (Catapres). For myself, Cannabis also provides significant relief. For instance, if I smoke, I have the potential to develop an appetite and actually eat a meal, which in the long run, will make you feel much better.

If you do choose to use Benzodiazepines, I would recommend only using them for the very tough times. For me, the really tough times are evenings as I try to get to sleep. Rolling around in my bed with not hope of sleep for 8 hours is misery. Also, sleep deprivation is a major contributing factor to how shitty you feel during withdrawal. Also, for this purpose, Melatonin could be of help. You've probably heard of it, but it's a natural (produced in the body) substance that aids in sleep. For the record, I highly advise against the use of sedating antihistamines during this process like Diphenhydramine (Benadryl). For some, they are alright, but for many, they contribute significantly to symptoms like restless legs and akathisia.

As for the Amphetamines of any sort, including MDMA, I would really advise against it. Stimulants make you feel great when you're on them, sure, but they are very hard on your body in so many ways. You are already in a weakened state from withdrawal and further insult could put you into a very bad way. This is just my opinion.

Thank you for the detailed response Keif' very valuable information. I think you're right. I'm gonna do everything i can to only take the benzos at night, and only the first 3 or 4 nights. I definitely do not want to risk developing an addiction to benzos, I've heard nightmares.

On the MDMA / Coke, I think I'll do as you suggest and not do any. Maybe as a reward after I beat the withdrawals a couple weeks down the line.

I don't think this withdrawal will be that bad, I've only been using for a month, but I'm probably underestimating it seeing as I've been using pure fentanyl and pure #3 Heroin.

Thanks for the responses / advice.

Hello - I am a new user to Bluelight. I am currently trying to get off of the big H. I have tapered quite a bit. Withdrawals are just so terrible.. anyone on opiates knows this... Has anyone ever used the Herbal Cleanse Premium Detox and/or Niacin to get clean off of opiates? I am on day one pretty much. Along with the detox kit I have Niacin, L-tyrosine, and of course other vitamins such as vitamin C, B Complex, and Zinc.. I also have Immodium (don't want to use too much of that because it doesn't allow mr to use the bathroom :( )

Any help, advice, experiences, or suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. I want to get this stuff out of my system as quickly and easily as possible with little discomfort (long stretc, I know)

Thank you in advance!

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong thread - do forgive me!

Best of luck to you on your journey to recovery... If that were me I would just get the withdrawals over with.. Subs work wonders. And tapering off them does work.

In my situation, I need to be clean of all drugs.

Best Wishes.

I'd find a clause around that. Wow. Nothing should be forced for the sake of money.

Best wishes.

I wouldn't recommend using illegal drugs to get off opiates. I would see a doctor who specializes in addiction therapy. They can help you wean off with subs and you won't have to miss work.

Suboxone therapy is often quite expensive. Some people are uncomfortable with sharing their taste for illicit narcotics with others, too.

I agree with what Keif Richards said, in that it's actually pretty easy to quit heroin, at least in the short-term (the period of acute withdrawal, or "being sick"). Anyone can be brought off strong opioids while under medical supervision, and if you know what you're doing (and have access to various substances, ranging from OTC drugs to street or prescription drugs), overcoming the physical dependency is relatively easy to do.

It's the psychological component of opiate addiction which is key, IMO. Just because you get off heroin doesn't mean that you won't come crawling back.

But, purely in regards to using street drugs to overcome the physical addiction, I've had success using meth to blast through acute withdrawal. Very small amounts, like a bump or two spread throughout the day. The question becomes "well what if they then replace heroin with meth as their DOC?" Which is valid; they are both addictive drugs. But most people I know who are total junkies and are obsessed with opiates either 1) actively dislike stimulants and stimulant users, or 2) are indifferent to it, or maintain some kind of "casual" relationship with crack cocaine or meth, on a purely recreational basis.

Here's the thing, though, and this is important: use only a SMALL amount of [insert stimulant] to remain somewhat functional & relieve some discomfort through it's dopaminergic activity. Make sure to get enough sleep and don't over-indulge in stimulant use, or else you'll be facing the Mother Of All Crashes at the end of it all...with no opiates to give you any relief!

Just my 2 cents

Phenibut, look it up on erowid. I kind of accidentally wound up hooked on Xanax & was having a very,very bad time going cold off them & just hit on trying a massive dose of phenibut, 5g or so, slept for most of 2 days & woke up after feeling just fine..
can't guarantee that it'll work or anything for H but i'm in the same boat, roughly, with tapering off methadone, 8+ years and am going to try it, since it worked so well on the xanny's good luck!! please let us know how it goes, peace!

Suboxone therapy is often quite expensive. Some people are uncomfortable with sharing their taste for illicit narcotics with others, too.

I agree with what Keif Richards said, in that it's actually pretty easy to quit heroin, at least in the short-term (the period of acute withdrawal, or "being sick"). Anyone can be brought off strong opioids while under medical supervision, and if you know what you're doing (and have access to various substances, ranging from OTC drugs to street or prescription drugs), overcoming the physical dependency is relatively easy to do.

It's the psychological component of opiate addiction which is key, IMO. Just because you get off heroin doesn't mean that you won't come crawling back.

But, purely in regards to using street drugs to overcome the physical addiction, I've had success using meth to blast through acute withdrawal. Very small amounts, like a bump or two spread throughout the day. The question becomes "well what if they then replace heroin with meth as their DOC?" Which is valid; they are both addictive drugs. But most people I know who are total junkies and are obsessed with opiates either 1) actively dislike stimulants and stimulant users, or 2) are indifferent to it, or maintain some kind of "casual" relationship with crack cocaine or meth, on a purely recreational basis.

Here's the thing, though, and this is important: use only a SMALL amount of [insert stimulant] to remain somewhat functional & relieve some discomfort through it's dopaminergic activity. Make sure to get enough sleep and don't over-indulge in stimulant use, or else you'll be facing the Mother Of All Crashes at the end of it all...with no opiates to give you any relief!

Just my 2 cents

Yes yes yes. So many of us are so afraid of acute withdrawal we continue to watch our lives crumble to avoid it. It sucks, but not to the point of watching everything you have go to shit. Idk, just wanted to say that because the work is in abstaining not quitting.

^Definitely. I don't mean to minimize the situation at all, but over these years that I've withdrawn completely from Opioids literally dozens of times for dozens of stupid reasons, I've acquired a certain level of knowledge that helps me minimize my symptoms pretty effectively. The drugs that I mentioned and occasionally more powerful shit like Benzodiazepines are enough to get me through with a mild level of discomfort. The sickness is more or less a complete part of the cycle of my life now and doesn't "scare" me in the way it used to. I'm sure you're all familiar with that primal fear that enters your mind when you realize that sickness is imminent and potentially, inescapable.

I don't really get that anymore. It's more like spending a weekend at my ex-girlfriends parents' house. I'm not even trying to be funny. Her parents didn't like me, probably because I'm a filthy drug addict, so everytime we had to go up to the mountains for a long weekend it was shitty. Essentially 72 hours of general discomfort, anxiety, stress, the inability to relax or be comfortable and just a very exasperating experience in general. Just like withdrawal, it helps to prepare beforehand.

Of the things that I require to treat my withdrawal, I can generally get them as a cheap prescription and if not they can be bought off the street easily. Over the past few years, I've kept getting high, but I've also built up a lot more responsibility in my life or at least, what I consider a lot. Whereas in the past, I would have literally zero dollars at any given time other than directly prior to scoring, now, I always can save at least $40-$50 dollars for myself just in case. I know price discussion isn't allowed, but for the record, this is about what my 3-day kit would probably cost, maybe a little more with Cannabis involved.

My point is, that if you can just manage to scrounge that small bit of safety money together instead of buying more dope, you can really save yourself from the misery. You can spend a small amount of money on 1 or maybe 2 bags that will get you well for a few hours or you can acquire drugs that will mitigate your withdrawal for up to a couple of days.

I've always used benzos to overcome my opioid withdrawals, but you have to be careful doing that because taking too many benzos will just give you benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome which is worse than opioid withdrawal and can even lead to seizures and/or death.

On the other hand, I have heard that Gabapentin (Neurontin) works wonders for opioid withdrawal although I have never tried them myself.

As far as OTC medications go, here is a link I found that may be beneficial in your case: http://www.thatspoppycock.com/library/addiction/over-the-counter-withdrawal-comfort-medicine/

Keep one thing in mind. No matter what you do you WILL NOT be 100% comfortable, nothing comes without a consequence. Yes the benzos and others mentioned in this thread will take the edge off but you will still feel not great. Ultimately eat right even if you have to force food, stay hydrated, take a multi vitamin and something to help you sleep. Other than that it's just time....... but it does and it will get better I promise.

I have been an opiate addict for years... then I found this drug that comes from over seas called "PHENAZEPAM" .. its seriouswly a wonder drug when coming to opioid w/d. this is because 1) itsa a benzo 2) its has a tremendously long half life ( for those of you trying to get off suboxone) and it knocks you right out. This is a powerful drug so be careful start at 1-2mg and before you know it opiates are gone just dint get hooked on the benzos... cheers get it at the most reputable online pharmacy ive found extrapharmacy.ru .. CHECK IT OUT saved my 10 years H and oxy use no subs,

Id say just go cold turkey. This man has left you 300K from working his GD ass off for God knows how long.Now you have been the one blessed with receiving over a quarter of a billion,and all you can think of is how to have this go as easy as possible. I hope you fail. You dont deserve that money. A man worked his entire life for it,another man should get it. Not a child.

Hello Allisnotwell and welcome to bluelight.

This thread is a couple years old so it's kinda pointless to give the original poster advice now. Especially considering it's been almost a year since he last logged in.

We have plenty of current threads going on if you'd like to join in just go to the the front page of this sub forum (basic drug discussion)

Welcome aboard :)

Hey miss boo! I unfortunately have to correct this statement, but it is all good. We all make mistakes. Kratom is indeed an Opioid as Mitragynine has been shown to be an agonist of the Opioid receptors.