• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Oregon decriminalizing Hard Drugs

Are you surprised Oregon decriminalized hard drugs?

• Total voters

0.o_LaCuNa_o.0

Bluelighter
I'm actually quite shocked that Oregan has decriminalized Hard Drugs. I know this is old news as this happened beginning of 2021, but I only found this out recently.

I find this kinda shocking, not only that it happened, but that the whole of the USA hasn't even finished legalizing weed yet.

Thoughts?!

And what happens to drug dealers over there now? Free pass or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well technically it's just decriminalized for possession I believe.

Not a free pass for drug dealers as far as I know. You can still get in trouble for dealing.

Yes, I'm surprised by the fact that any state decriminalized drugs, but no, I'm not surprised it was Oregon. They've always been very progressive in regards to drug laws.

As stated above, they aren't legal there, just decriminalized so that there is no criminal charge for possessing them. Still just as illegal to sell them as it was before, I believe.

I'm honestly not surprised for the simple fact that it's Oregon. I've spent a lot of time in Portland specifically, and with how open and rampant their drug problem is, it's no surprise they are now taking a different approach on the matter. If it would have been any other state besides Oregon (or maybe Washington) that had done it, I would have shit a brick.

Aaaaand up here in Washington we seem to be headed the same direction as Oregon as far as decriminalization goes.

Selling and possessing are two completely different charges. Selling weed is still a misdemeanor in nyc and it’s legal here. Also if you sell enough that would be tax evasion as well. Just good for thought. Don’t move to Oregon to sell drugs lol they probably wouldn’t like you too much for coming to there state to abuse their system basically Ull get f$$$ed

I'm actually quite shocked that Oregan has legalized Hard Drugs. I know this is old news as this happened beginning of 2021, but I only found this out recently.

I find this kinda shocking, not only that it happened, but that the whole of the USA hasn't even finished legalizing weed yet.

Thoughts?!

And what happens to drug dealers over there now? Free pass or what?
Well technically it's just decriminalized for possession I believe.

Not a free pass for drug dealers as far as I know. You can still get in trouble for dealing.

Yes, I'm surprised by the fact that any state decriminalized drugs, but no, I'm not surprised it was Oregon. They've always been very progressive in regards to drug laws.
What are some other ways Oregon been progressive? Didnt they decrim weed back in the 70s ? Anything else?

thanks!

What are some other ways Oregon been progressive? Didnt they decrim weed back in the 70s ? Anything else?

thanks!
Off the top of my head, that's the main point, but I think overall they've been less punitive towards drug users in general for a while. I could of course be missing something.

Off the top of my head, that's the main point, but I think overall they've been less punitive towards drug users in general for a while. I could of course be missing something.
Na your not far off cali Oregon there ahead of the game. They know junkies shouldn’t be in prison I mean to be honest tho it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that. Even tho here in nys I get 5 yrs 2 parole in nys prison for dope wen it wasn’t even dopafet at all 2011-2012 was only 18 YO eligible first charge in my life was a IV addict at this time since 15 and the scumbag gives me 5yrs 2 post and denied my youthful offender. I didn’t know shitt about the law tho back then. Now I’m taking my plea back with a 440 motion I’m doing myself amd going to trial already have 7 yrs time served the max is 9 so f$$k em give me 9 if I lose I’ll do like 6months upstate not worried about it. Need this YO tho

Na your not far off cali Oregon there ahead of the game. They know junkies shouldn’t be in prison I mean to be honest tho it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that. Even tho here in nys I get 5 yrs 2 parole in nys prison for dope wen it wasn’t even dopafet at all 2011-2012 was only 18 YO eligible first charge in my life was a IV addict at this time since 15 and the scumbag gives me 5yrs 2 post and denied my youthful offender. I didn’t know shitt about the law tho back then. Now I’m taking my plea back with a 440 motion I’m doing myself amd going to trial already have 7 yrs time served the max is 9 so f$$k em give me 9 if I lose I’ll do like 6months upstate not worried about it. Need this YO tho
Damn dude, that is way overkill. I know in my case, my first charges were, possession cocaine and heroin. About a gram of each. This was a misdemeanor in Maryland in '14. Only got a year unsupervised probation so I consider myself lucky.

Yah, kinda shocked.
Wonder what its like to live in oregon? :unsure: May ave to do some research.

Damn dude, that is way overkill. I know in my case, my first charges were, possession cocaine and heroin. About a gram of each. This was a misdemeanor in Maryland in '14. Only got a year unsupervised probation so I consider myself lucky.
Lol you’re like the 10000 person to tell me that alll my college professors that are practicing attorneys are like wait what? I’ll give the judge this I’m nyc I was going upstate not far at all but it was still the sticks so they looked at me like a nyc scumbag. I only had 11.5 bundles wen the raided and only 1000$ in my pocket they said I was a drug kingpin lol 🤦‍♂️ My lawyers never even objected to that or anything at all like arnt major king pins usually not shooting dope at 15 and has no veins by 18? And don’t kingpins get caught with at least a key and have over 10k$ in cash? Like I didn’t understand wtf was going on at all I see clear now tho that judge retired I put a 1983 federal lawsuit against him because he said in court I have the court minutes..”you deserve more time because you’re white, I see young Spanish men young black men every day in my courtroom that don’t have the financial ability to hire two lawyers and have less of a chance at succeeding in life. Because of these fact you deserve to be treated more harshly.” What???! Violation of my 14th amendment at equal rights. Ofc he knew I didn’t know at the time judges have immunity from litigation lawsuits in all manner as long as it’s within the court of law while he’s doing his job. I ended up following thru just to tarnish his name tho he didn’t even go for re-election which was as only a couple months after my suit that’s on Google. Not saying I made him retire he violated 100s of ppl. I dont think he was going to get many votes. They did a home invasion at his home tied him and his family up amd robbed him they were never caught after that he would tell everyone with a burglary charge you could have been the one who robbed my house and always gave the max time. He was the only judge in the county but he was not supposed to be handling those cases. SMH

Lol you’re like the 10000 person to tell me that alll my college professors that are practicing attorneys are like wait what? I’ll give the judge this I’m nyc I was going upstate not far at all but it was still the sticks so they looked at me like a nyc scumbag. I only had 11.5 bundles wen the raided and only 1000$ in my pocket they said I was a drug kingpin lol 🤦‍♂️ My lawyers never even objected to that or anything at all like arnt major king pins usually not shooting dope at 15 and has no veins by 18? And don’t kingpins get caught with at least a key and have over 10k$ in cash? Like I didn’t understand wtf was going on at all I see clear now tho that judge retired I put a 1983 federal lawsuit against him because he said in court I have the court minutes..”you deserve more time because you’re white, I see young Spanish men young black men every day in my courtroom that don’t have the financial ability to hire two lawyers and have less of a chance at succeeding in life. Because of these fact you deserve to be treated more harshly.” What???! Violation of my 14th amendment at equal rights. Ofc he knew I didn’t know at the time judges have immunity from litigation lawsuits in all manner as long as it’s within the court of law while he’s doing his job. I ended up following thru just to tarnish his name tho he didn’t even go for re-election which was as only a couple months after my suit that’s on Google. Not saying I made him retire he violated 100s of ppl. I dont think he was going to get many votes. They did a home invasion at his home tied him and his family up amd robbed him they were never caught after that he would tell everyone with a burglary charge you could have been the one who robbed my house and always gave the max time. He was the only judge in the county but he was not supposed to be handling those cases. SMH
Sorry to hear about that. As an ex-druggie that was painful to read - im so happy i dont live in USA

Oregon was one of the first states to restrict otc cocaine by requiring drs prescription

I find it surprising that anywhere would legalise hard drugs - especially in the states of all places - but then again I'm not an expert on whats been going on politically in Oregon so no more surprised than the next person I suppose. Progressive move in my opinion.

If nations want to address their issues with drug use, abuse and overdoses then they really need to look at Portugals model and how their statistics have dramatically changed for the better.

Sorry to hear about that. As an ex-druggie that was painful to read - im so happy i dont live in USA
Ya I was pist off for the whole 5 yrs I just couldn’t believe it the entire time NY state have horrible laws but we’re supposed to be “liberal”

Decriminalization is not the same as legalization at all. It just means that one won't be criminally charged for possession of drugs in personal use quantities. Though, there aren't going to be any hard drug dispensaries or anything like that, which is probably a good thing honestly. Decriminalization worked very, very well in Portugal. It's a similar type of policy, and it probably more effectively discourages the use of hard drugs than outright criminalization. Because it ends much of the stigmatization of hard drug addiction, as one can't face legal consequences simply for being a user/addict.

Last edited:
Drugs really aren't legalized in any meaningful way, it's just a matter of the penalty for possession being reduced.

Before, if you were busted with drugs you'd be arrested and taken to jail and charged with possession. Depending on the circumstances, if there were any other charges, and what your criminal record was like, you may be released pending trial. They had a range of charges that they could throw at you, including felony charges. If it was a first time offense and you had a (relatively) clean record, you could likely just get a plea deal and go to treatment (and probably be on probation for a while). If you were fully convicted of the charges and didn't have any sort of plea deal, you could end up in prison for a while. And this isn't even getting into the matter of if they decide that you have enough drugs in your possession to be considered a dealer.

Now, if you're busted with a small amount of drugs, it's considered a "civil violation". You'll be given a ticket and have your drugs confiscated, but at least you'll still get to go home. From there, you can either pay a fine (about a hundred bucks I think) or agree to go to treatment. It's basically like getting a speeding ticket. If you're busted with a larger amount of drugs, but still not enough that they consider you a dealer, you'll be charged with a misdemeanor and the process will be similar to the one described in the second paragraph above, although probably with more options for leniency. It's only if they decide that you have enough to be considered a dealer or manufacturer that you'd be charged with a felony.

It's definitely a positive change, and hopefully it'll significantly reduce the number of people getting their lives destroyed just because they got caught with drugs (and also keep in mind that weed is legal here, so that helps too), but you still need to be careful not to get busted. I mean if nothing else they're still gonna take your drugs, and that's no fun. Plus, once you're involved with the legal system there are all sorts of ways that they can still fuck with you and find additional charges to throw at you if they really want to. As an Oregonian I'm glad that we're headed in the right direction in this realm, but I don't want people to get the wrong idea and let their guard down.

I've gotta look at this as the tip of the spear really. When Cannabis began to be prosecuted as a civil offense across the country in many areas (including my own, Massachusetts) many years ago, it didn't matter what the law said, "It was legal, baby!". The cops no longer gave a shit about the arrests and the majority of offenses were "we found Cannabis on you while you were in the course of committing a burlgary" or whatever. It was a serious bridgehead, but it was hard to understand if that was actually what was intended by lawmakers.

Whatever the case truly is with decriminilization of the so-called "Hard Drugs", (thanks Holland), when a state does it, it will, I believe, start an avalanche of liberalization policies that will only make things better for all of us junkies. Believe me, I want to love the cops, let me love the cops. Let me believe that they have a purpose and that I need to let them do their job. SHOW ME

At any rate, solid news and good reporting. Back to you @deficiT with traffic in Southie.

I've gotta look at this as the tip of the spear really. When Cannabis began to be prosecuted as a civil offense across the country in many areas (including my own, Massachusetts) many years ago, it didn't matter what the law said, "It was legal, baby!". The cops no longer gave a shit about the arrests and the majority of offenses were "we found Cannabis on you while you were in the l of lmmitting a burlgary" or whatever. It was a serious bridgehead, but it was hard to understand if that was actually what was intended by lawmakers.

Whatever the case truly is with decriminilization of the so-called "Hard Drugs", (thanks Holland), when a state does it, it will, I believe, start an avalanche of liberalization policies that will only make things better for all of us junkies. Believe me, I want to love the cops, let me love the cops. Let me believe that they have a purpose and that I need to let them do their job. SHOW ME

At any rate, solid news and good reporting. Back to you @deficiT with traffic in Southie.
Totally agree decriminalization can only make things better...it's just not worth living in Oregon for...I can't think of a more depressing time in my life than sitting in the Fred Meyer parking lot getting high in a RV...There's nothing to do, and the scene is dull and mudanely brutal.