• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Oral Suboxone with pgp inhibitors?

NeoLid

Bluelighter
I know that swallowed suboxone has a very low B/A but is it because its metabolized very quickly or just because its destroyed by stomach acid? One of the metabolites of buprenorphine is norbuprenorphine a full agonist. I was wondering if it gets metabolized in to norbuprenorphine and you take a pgp inhibitor would you get the full agonist effects?

Wiki sez: "The active metabolites of buprenorphine are not thought to be clinically important in its central nervous system effects. [...] relative to buprenorphine, norbuprenorphine has extremely little antinociceptive potency (1/50th that of buprenorphine), but markedly depresses respiration (10-fold more than buprenorphine). This may be explained by very poor brain penetration of norbuprenorphine due to a high affinity of the compound for P-glycoprotein."

In principle if you took a PGP inhibitor, that would remove one barrier, however if the binding affinity for buprenorphine @ the mu opioid receptor is higher, then bupe will prefer to bind rather than the norbuprenorphine!

Wiki sez: "The active metabolites of buprenorphine are not thought to be clinically important in its central nervous system effects. [...] relative to buprenorphine, norbuprenorphine has extremely little antinociceptive potency (1/50th that of buprenorphine), but markedly depresses respiration (10-fold more than buprenorphine). This may be explained by very poor brain penetration of norbuprenorphine due to a high affinity of the compound for P-glycoprotein."

In principle if you took a PGP inhibitor, that would remove one barrier, however if the binding affinity for buprenorphine @ the mu opioid receptor is higher, then bupe will prefer to bind rather than the norbuprenorphine!
Thats why I I said doing it orally, with a B/A of only 10% that leaves only .8mg of buprenorphine which leaves plenty of receptors unoccupied. That is only if the other 90% will be metabolized, or is it only the 10% that gets metabolized into norbupe?