• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opium Tea OD

PaulAxe

Greenlighter
Hello everyone! I'm here to share an experience which occurred with me this past month.

I was looking for ways to get high because I didn't have any CBD or weed, and I found a papaver gigante at a garden in my neighbourhood.
So basically I put three flowers in a container and cooked up a soluble alkaloid substance (which was a big mistake, seeds are better and harder to OD on) and drank a small portion mixed with water.

Basically I started feeling my heart pumping and I was forced to call the emergency number. The BPM was around 190BPM.
When they evaluated me, they found out my pupils were dilated, my temperature was at 38,5 celsius and my heart was beating at 190BPM by the time the ambulance arrived.
They took me to the hospital where I was evaluated and eventually the effect of the overdose passed, I got a leave and went back home in a taxi the same day.
Two dudes died from the same idea a few years ago in my neighbourhood, what I'm trying to say is, don't do what I did out of desperation to get high.

I was sedated for 2 days after the overdose (which was pretty pleasant, but I was afraid I might have caught brain damage or could die in my sleep).

What I learned from this experience is to not get too desperate to get high, there's a lot to it, staying sober is better than spending a few weeks in rehab.
I also learned that papavers are no flowers to mess with. They can cause serious damage to a person and even kill a person if the process isn't correctly made.

Everyone from my neighbourhood knew I was just trying to get high because roughly all adults know the poppy contains alkaloids that transforms it into a powerful drug.
Easy to overdose on.

I learned my lesson.

Hello everyone! I'm here to share an experience which occurred with me this past month.

I was looking for ways to get high because I didn't have any CBD or weed, and I found a papaver gigante at a garden in my neighbourhood.
So basically I put three flowers in a container and cooked up a soluble alkaloid substance (which was a big mistake, seeds are better and harder to OD on) and drank a small portion mixed with water.

Basically I started feeling my heart pumping and I was forced to call the emergency number. The BPM was around 190BPM.
When they evaluated me, they found out my pupils were dilated, my temperature was at 38,5 celsius and my heart was beating at 190BPM by the time the ambulance arrived.
They took me to the hospital where I was evaluated and eventually the effect of the overdose passed, I got a leave and went back home in a taxi the same day.
Two dudes died from the same idea a few years ago in my neighbourhood, what I'm trying to say is, don't do what I did out of desperation to get high.

I was sedated for 2 days after the overdose (which was pretty pleasant, but I was afraid I might have caught brain damage or could die in my sleep).

What I learned from this experience is to not get too desperate to get high, there's a lot to it, staying sober is better than spending a few weeks in rehab.
I also learned that papavers are no flowers to mess with. They can cause serious damage to a person and even kill a person if the process isn't correctly made.

Everyone from my neighbourhood knew I was just trying to get high because roughly all adults know the poppy contains alkaloids that transforms it into a powerful drug.
Easy to overdose on.

I learned my lesson.

It sounds like you consumed a poppy variety with high thebaine content. A typical opium overdose will result in constricted pupils and low blood pressure (not dilated pupils and high blood pressure, like you experienced).

You mentioned you cooked the "flowers" in the tea? Do you actually mean the flowers or are you referring to the pods? In any event, three pods of your average opium poppy wouldn't be enough to cause overdose in an adult (although it could be enough for a child or a small/elderly person). Now if those 3 pods were high in thebaine, that may be a different story. Thebaine has a higher acute toxicity than morphine.

But in any event, based on the dilated pupils, fever and high blood pressure, it definitely sounds like you experienced the toxic effects from a poppy variety that contains high levels of thebaine. Overdoses from normal opium poppies (i.e., ones that are high in morphine and low in thebaine) tend to feature symptoms opposite to what you described.

For instance, the first time I tried poppy seed tea, I severely underestimated the effect it was going to have, so I washed an entire pound of the strongest unwashed seeds I could find, and drank the liquid. Once it kicked in, I felt great for around 3 hours, but the effects keep getting stronger and stronger and I started becoming concerned. After about 4 hours the vomiting began and I started going through waves of uncontrollable nodding. My pupils were extremely constricted (barely visible) and I took my blood pressure and it was something like 90/55. I ended up taking some stimulants to try to stay awake and spent the next 8 hours pinned to a chair with a trash bag next to me to vomit into.

Finally, around 10-12 hours after drinking it the effect lightened up and I felt comfortably high again. I stayed high well into the next day. Thus I learned the poppy seeds are no joke. I had no active opioid tolerance at the time, but my natural tolerance is very high, and I also have a good degree of permanent tolerance to opioids from having been on a huge dose of methadone years ago. Based on the effect i would wager that the total morphine content of that pound of seeds was in the 300-400mg range (which is certainly possible since some unwashed seeds have been found to have ~2mg of morphine residue per gram of seed material). If someone with truly no opioid tolerance (like my girlfriend) had consumed what I drank that day, it would have almost certainly resulted in a fatal overdose.

Of course, after that experience I had 4 more pounds of that same batch of seeds, and less than a week later I consumed more of it, but used just 90g (instead of 454g -- aka 1 pound). Felt great at that dose. The funny thing is, I've made numerous poppy seed purchases after that batch, but have never really found any seeds quite as strong as that first batch.

The only poppy variety with narcotic alkaloids is Papaver somniferum, identifiable by its waxy-looking lettuce-like hairless leaves.

Generally speaking three poppy heads will not contain a lethal amount of morphine, esp. if immature and of an ornamental and not pharmaceutical variety, thanks to oral morphine's low BA of 30%.

Also, true opioid overdoses produce constricted pupils, lowered heart and breathing rates, and often nausea, and is rapidly reversed by naloxone, Seeing as you were not given the usual opioid antidote (naloxone IV) it is not likely the medical staff suspected opioids were involved.

I would be interested in seeing photos of these supposed poppies. I suspect they may be P. orientale which contains other non-narcotic alkaloids.

Either way, I agree: don't eat random plants to get high without reliable identification and small test doses.

It sounds like you consumed a poppy variety with high thebaine content. A typical opium overdose will result in constricted pupils and low blood pressure (not dilated pupils and high blood pressure, like you experienced).

You mentioned you cooked the "flowers" in the tea? Do you actually mean the flowers or are you referring to the pods? In any event, three pods of your average opium poppy wouldn't be enough to cause overdose in an adult (although it could be enough for a child or a small/elderly person). Now if those 3 pods were high in thebaine, that may be a different story. Thebaine has a higher acute toxicity than morphine.

But in any event, based on the dilated pupils, fever and high blood pressure, it definitely sounds like you experienced the toxic effects from a poppy variety that contains high levels of thebaine. Overdoses from normal opium poppies (i.e., ones that are high in morphine and low in thebaine) tend to feature symptoms opposite to what you described.

For instance, the first time I tried poppy seed tea, I severely underestimated the effect it was going to have, so I washed an entire pound of the strongest unwashed seeds I could find, and drank the liquid. Once it kicked in, I felt great for around 3 hours, but the effects keep getting stronger and stronger and I started becoming concerned. After about 4 hours the vomiting began and I started going through waves of uncontrollable nodding. My pupils were extremely constricted (barely visible) and I took my blood pressure and it was something like 90/55. I ended up taking some stimulants to try to stay awake and spent the next 8 hours pinned to a chair with a trash bag next to me to vomit into.

Finally, around 10-12 hours after drinking it the effect lightened up and I felt comfortably high again. I stayed high well into the next day. Thus I learned the poppy seeds are no joke. I had no active opioid tolerance at the time, but my natural tolerance is very high, and I also have a good degree of permanent tolerance to opioids from having been on a huge dose of methadone years ago. Based on the effect i would wager that the total morphine content of that pound of seeds was in the 300-400mg range (which is certainly possible since some unwashed seeds have been found to have ~2mg of morphine residue per gram of seed material). If someone with truly no opioid tolerance (like my girlfriend) had consumed what I drank that day, it would have almost certainly resulted in a fatal overdose.

Of course, after that experience I had 4 more pounds of that same batch of seeds, and less than a week later I consumed more of it, but used just 90g (instead of 454g -- aka 1 pound). Felt great at that dose. The funny thing is, I've made numerous poppy seed purchases after that batch, but have never really found any seeds quite as strong as that first batch.
No idea. I've only consumed heroin once in my life, and never poppy material until now, so I can't tell.

I learned my lesson.

Let's hope so mate.

But poppy flowers contain no active alkaloids, so God knows what you took.

Also, you said that "seeds are harder to OD on". Not true. Poppy seed washes are notoriously unpredictable so one batch could be shit, and the next lethal.

The moral of the story is 'don't fuck about with poppies unless you know what you're doing'.

Take care...

If you folks are using the Tea for chronic pain because like me you get no real help from the Medical Corporate Cult then the Risk is worth the Reward/Relief.
If you are using it recreationally you are chasing shadows! And when the Game changes and the shadows start chasing you? Well...the Risk is not worth the Price you will pay. Beware. Be aware. The Tea is the real deal and the Half Life is just that: Half a Life.
Moderator:....I am new here and don't know the rules so is it ok if i post this a few places?
I am 76 and have played this game.
Then got played.
Just sayin'.
D

Let's hope so mate.

But poppy flowers contain no active alkaloids, so God knows what you took.

Also, you said that "seeds are harder to OD on". Not true. Poppy seed washes are notoriously unpredictable so one batch could be shit, and the next lethal.

The moral of the story is 'don't fuck about with poppies unless you know what you're doing'.

Take care...
Thanks for the advice!

Definitely you can overdose on opium tea (done it myself), but what you describe taking doesn't sound like that's what it was...