• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opioids -- Phenazepane Synthetics

Nicomorphinist

Bluelighter
I wonder if there is more information and experiences out there with this branch of the opioid family, which includes partial agonist and agonist-antagonists:

There is a sub-family of opioids related to pethidine but further away than the bemidones and prodines, namely the phenazepane opioids, which I believe are not actually 4-phenylpiperidines but 4-phenyl-4-propionoxyazacycloheptanes.

They fall into two categories -- the 3-phenazepanes, the prototype and only commonly-used is meptazinol (Meptid)., and the 4-phenazepanes, the prototype of which is proheptazine and which includes ethoheptazine and related drugs. Ethoheptazine was the third ingredient in the meprobamate preparation Equagesic, the last medication Bruce Lee took, and is Zactane the pure form. All the forms I have read about are racaemic though it is not clear to what if any extent these drugs exhibit optical isomerism.

Depending on the country, ethoheptazine is lightly or not at all controlled. Canada specifically exempted phenazepanes from control, only proheptazine, about twice as strong as hydrocodone, is controlled in the United States, but ethoheptazine is also not an ingredient of a currently-marketed medication there and after the demise of Equagesic was no longer an FDA-approved drug, which is also the case in Canada.. I believe meptazinol is a prescription medication under minimal control in the United Kingdom and I have personally obtained it on doctors' advice de facto OTC on the Continent several decades ago.

All those years ago, with much less tolerance, I did feel the narcotic effects of both Meptid and Equagesic and the second time I took Meptid I mixed it with meprobamate. It also seemed to be potentiated by tetrazepam and nitrazepam.

Last edited:
Interesting, I've never heard of any of these. Does the qualitative nature of the effects differ from traditional opiates?

Meptazinol could be a reasonable facsimile of pentazocine was my conclusion, whereas ethoheptazine with the ASA and meprobamate was intermediate between dextropropoxyphene and tramadol with less dizziness I would say.