• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opiates for anxiety

Thatonegirl37

Greenlighter
Hello, first time posting to the site although I've read white a bit on here in the past. For about the last 7 years, more so in the past 4 years. I have used Oxycodone or hydrocodone to control my anxiety. I also have a therapist I see but she does not know about this. I have tried some other prescriptions for anxiety in the past with no luck. Most made me feel worse physically and some mentally than the anxiety makes me feel. So I stopped asking my primary doctor, my therapist and at one point my psychiatrist about using medications for anxiety. I have had 3 different primary doctors ovdr the last couple years because they all seem to try to minimize the anxiety I feel. I have experienced anxiety since I can remember and it controls my every waking moment, so when I took opiates and felt my mind finally relax and my anxiety settle, I was like this is it, what I've been looking for. I know, most people will say that's a dangerous road and I understand that. But with how crippling my anxiety became in my life, the benefits far out weigh the risks, for me. I haven't taken pills every day for the last 7 years, it's been off and on. For the last 2 years or so I have had them just about every day but I do go without them at times. I take 1 to 2 10mg Oxycodone, sometimes hydrocodone instead, a day. Usually it's one a day and I split the pill into 2 or 3 pieces and take throughout the day. I don't feel the need to increase and I do feel I can go without them and be physically fine. But I know if I stop completely the anxiety will become crippling again. I guess what I'm wanting to know, is of anyone else has had similar experiences using opiates for anxiety?

10 mg now could be 30 mg later booze and 30 mg muscle relaxers booze 30 mg muscle relaxer booze xanax 80 mg later before you know it your doctors cutting you off and you end up finding heroin because you feel like your anxiety is unbearable. I dont use opiates but this seems to be what i gather happens from when i was in rehab and was talking to opiate users

I think you're differentiating yourself from the rest of the using community in your thought process. We all are drawn to Opioids for different reasons, but severe anxiety and/or depression are common catalysts. Your comment that "the benefits outweigh the risks" is coming from a position of inexperience. I'm not one of those people who claims "Opioids no longer make me feel good" after ten years of using, they do, but the relationship changes quickly.

While the Opioids control my anxiety and depression pretty well, there's a new anxiety surrounding the acquisition of the drugs. The anxieties of life will pale in comparison to the primal anxiety of needing your drugs. If you have a steady supply, means of acquisition etc. it can be possible to live a relatively normal life, by yourself (having an actual partner is difficult with a dependency).

The psychological aspect of the addiction has already been firmly rooted in your mind, just like it was for myself after the first time I got high. I knew I wanted to do it again. Sure, you can develop a dependency, which is difficult in its own right, but in my experience, the psychological experience of Opioids is exponentially harder to break than the physical dependence. You can wind up having a lifelong relationgship with Opioids by using them in this manner.

Ya i have had severe depression to the point of suicide and i dont use opiates but i am a polydrug user and at one point i started with just 10 mg of adderall. Sure i dont feel depressed but i need mycocktaill like water

I think what shows is i worry about getting my chemicals before food and water in the morning and a pretty said its the drugs or me so i left. Dont be fooled by a wolf in sheeps clothing you can let him in just know who your really letting in

Do not start or continue taking opiates for anxiety or depression. You will become addicted, and it will not solve your problems.

Talk to your therapist about the issues you are having, if they are not helping find a new therapist. Good luck and stay safe.

Taking opiates to self medicate is very problematic..when u try to stop its more difficult because not only do u have wd, u have to deal with the anxiety sober when u stop..its fine when you are using but if u want to stop its very uncomfortable

I had one psychiatrist who theorized using an opiate on me but he wanted to exhaust every possible medication and treatment first and eventually I gave up and I never went through with it, I believe he would have tried tramadol or something I doubt a doctor will prescribe anything harder in this climate. There are psychiatrists out there that will try it along with stimulants but this is usually as a last resort.

Also self prescribing is a dummies game because you have no self control or objectivity. The thing with opiates is it might take years, but eventually it stops working. The smart thing to do would be to double down on exposure with intense talk therapy while high to get the most benefit out of it if you are going to do it before it stops working.

I had one psychiatrist who theorized using an opiate on me but he wanted to exhaust every possible medication and treatment first and eventually I gave up and I never went through with it, I believe he would have tried tramadol or something I doubt a doctor will prescribe anything harder in this climate. There are psychiatrists out there that will try it along with stimulants but this is usually as a last resort.

Also self prescribing is a dummies game because you have no self control or objectivity. The thing with opiates is it might take years, but eventually it stops working. The smart thing to do would be to double down on exposure with intense talk therapy while high to get the most benefit out of it if you are going to do it before it stops working.

@noone1 "I agree with you 100% from the school of hard knocks".