• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiate withdrawal, question

ElevatedSoul

Bluelighter
Opiate withdrawal, how severe will it be?

So, stopping oxycodone for my own safety (Am more than likey loosing my supply soon) and I want to know how severe my withdrawal symptoms will be. They're just coming on so I took 20mg (I usually take 40mg) and hopefully that helps. Plan on cutting down to 10mg a day and stopping cold turkey friday. For the past month or so, ive been taking 30mg-40mg every other day (sometimes I'd go 2 days in a row, but it wasn't consistent) and never found my self addicted, I knew I could stop any day i wanted, but didnt for the reason I get them for free, and also didnt want to face withdrawal. (in other words, I'm not addicted, mentally. Just have to face withdrawal) With the amount I took a day, to people who know what they're talking about, how bad could my withdrawal be? I know a lot of people who abuse it take a lot more than me, so I would assume my withdrawal would not be bad. Yet, I have no idea. So any help, info, and an answer to the question I asked would help a lot.

Last edited:
No one can tell you. It's a very personal thing. I just read about a person addicted to loperamidamine (sp?) and poppy SEEDS! 40mg oxy a day for a month isn't THAT bad, it really isn't. But at the same time, you have to pay the piper. I'd say worst case 5 days of pretty severe discomfort...nothing earth shattering, but you'll feel it. You say you aren't "Mentally addicted", so why do you want to stop?

That's a rhetorical question, btw.....meaning if you want to stop, you are probably addicted and fooling yourself.

No one can tell you. It's a very personal thing. I just read about a person addicted to loperamidamine (sp?) and poppy SEEDS! 40mg oxy a day for a month isn't THAT bad, it really isn't. But at the same time, you have to pay the piper. I'd say worst case 5 days of pretty severe discomfort...nothing earth shattering, but you'll feel it. You say you aren't "Mentally addicted", so why do you want to stop?

That's a rhetorical question, btw.....meaning if you want to stop, you are probably addicted and fooling yourself.

I want to stop because I'd rather cut down to 10mg a day (Which im doing now, took 20mg and all symptoms are gone) and face the withdrawal that comes with 10mg oxy a day than keep taking 40mg and have to go cold turkey when I stop getting my free supply (My supply will be gone soon, and I want to prevent hard withdrawal symptom once I'm not able to get them anymore.)

Also, let me correct my self, I started at 2-3 in the beginning of the month and ended up at 3-4 now. (10mg a pill) so it wasnt 40mg for a solid month, nor was it every day. I took 2-3 day breaks probably 3-5 times this month. I came to the conclusion of withdrawal because last time I took any (Before the 20mg I took probably an hour ago, to start the cutting down process) was saturday, which was also 20mg, cause thats all I had. that 20mg kept off any withdrawal for the past two days and thats half my usual dose, I only have restlessness and that watery poo-poo. Nothing too terrible but I came up with a plan to stop once I realized I had a physical dependency, up until today I thought I could physically stop at any time with no withdrawal (which was obviously incorrect) ever since I started taking them I've had no urge to keep taking them, but I only did because 1. They're free 2. They're VERY easy to access and I'm stuck in a house with nothing to do. Thats why I say mentally im not addicted, but DO have a physical dependence.

I hope I don't come off as condescending or as if I believe my problem is bigger than yours. I simply want to use myself as a reference to illustrate my view. I was taking hydros for around 4 years non-stop. I started off with 2 or 3 7.5/500 hydros a day back before they dropped all the tylenol to 325. I was taking 30-35 10/325 hydros at my worst, right before I moved up to h and then got onto bupe maintenance. My withdrawls consisted of extreme diharreah, vomiting because I swallowed my own spit, yawning every 5 minutes which made my eyes extremely watery, I could not stop sneezing, anxiety to the extent of having to squeeze my butt and every single muscle in my back to release some of the tension that the anxiety physically caused, extreme lack of energy and motivation, and let's not forget the unbearable RLS I suffered at night when I tried to sleep which made want to squeeze my butt also and keep kicking and moving around in a very unorthodox manner. All this came about after 8 to 12 hours after I took my last hydros. So if you're able to go a couple of days without taking anything and not experience majority of the core symptoms I just described in a fashion so extreme that you're completely trashed and battered then your withdrawl symptoms will be very minimal both in duration and intensity. I feel that the withdrawls you might be facing will actually be a manifestation of your mind thinking it's dependant and will cause you to overplay and over analyze the severity of the withdrawl symptoms you actually experience, the mind is a very powerful thing and it has a tendency to play tricks on us without our knowledge of it. But then again that's just my 2 cents, I might be right or I might be wrong. We're all different anatomically so what holds true for me does not necessarily have to be true for you.

Last edited:
^^sorry but couldnt help laughing at your feeling the need to squeeze your arse when you get anxious.

op, youll get some flu like symptoms for a few days, nothing severe.

Hey OP I know what you're talking about..I was in the same spot as you 2 years ago..Don't worry about the withdrawls,they're not as bad as you might think with the small habit you have..I started of on 10mg a day then it was 20,30 and once I got to 40mg I was scared to quit because of the withdrawl..I ended up quiting because my supply line ran dry and I was sick for only 2 days..I won't say sick more like uncomfortable..
NOW a few months later I got a connect that was serving 30mg oxycotin AND I said what the hell ill just do some here and there like I was doing with the hydrocodine pills and sence I already experienced withdrawl before I said it won't be that bad..BOY WAS I WRONG the 30mg a day turned into 60mg a day and that 60mg turned into 90mg a day and it kept going up and up Untill it peaked to 300mg a day..I turned into a full blown addict within a year..now came the time to quit OMG I don't even want to think about it but I'll tell you anyways,quitting cold turkey 300mg a day was HELL,I've been clean for about 3 months and I have no plans on returning to it..im 3 months sober from everything minus ciggerrettes..
If I was you ill quit now,don't worry about it 40mg is not much and sence you tapered down to 20mg is even better..you'll probably go 3 days of discomfort,but I don't think and im almost sure you won't get super sick..

Every one is different but last time i got clean was from 40-60mg oxy a day for 3 years solid and it was not bad. I had my mind set i was getting clean and it made the whole thing alot easier. If your down to 20mgs a day and can skip days it shouldn't be that bad also it wont hurt tapering down to 10mgs a day or every other day even down to 5mgs. The more you taper the easier it will be imo. But my problem as well as alot of others the longer your holding on to them pills to taper the easier it is to slip and take extra.

Get to doing as much exercise as possible and eat as healthy as possible. I find when im bored with nothing to do the cravings kick my ass. When i get the urge to use i put my headphones in and ride my long board around and that helos me alot. Exercise is key to a faster recovery imo.
Good luck!

O wait only a month, quit now its not gonna be that bad. You can do it!

OP in my experience the wds are harder the longer you've been using even more so then the amount you are using(though amount plays a role as well). If you've only been using for a month or so you will probably feel like you have a mild case of the flu,probably a little anxiety and tossing and turning a little at bedtime. But be warned you keep fucking around and you will end up getting all the nasty things like the leg kicks(I also get it in my arms), weeks on end of insomnia, bubble guts for seemingly ever and the feeling like your soul has been sucked from your body and throw in a touch of crippling depression. Head it off at the pass now!

OP in my experience the wds are harder the longer you've been using even more so then the amount you are using(though amount plays a role as well). If you've only been using for a month or so you will probably feel like you have a mild case of the flu,probably a little anxiety and tossing and turning a little at bedtime. But be warned you keep fucking around and you will end up getting all the nasty things like the leg kicks(I also get it in my arms), weeks on end of insomnia, bubble guts for seemingly ever and the feeling like your soul has been sucked from your body and throw in a touch of crippling depression. Head it off at the pass now!

Agreed.

OP, when I started using, I would skip days and had fun. Then one day I woke up and definetly felt not my normal self. I tested it a bit by not using and in the afternoon I knew I was in withdrawal. I felt this tension in my body, anxiety, bit of sweating... I told myself fuck that shit I'll worry about this later and went on using daily. I was doing about 50 to 60 mg daily.

Flashforward a little over a year, I have since experienced numerous times serious withdrawal that had nothing to do with the little incomfort I tagged as withdrawal in the beggining.

I am saying this to illustrate two things. The first is that your symptoms are really there. They are not purely psychological, it is not weakness, it is physiological (still the mind can make it worse). The second thing is this, you will experience discomfort (to what extant, as other said, no one can tell. And like I said, it also depends on your state of mind). But what you will experience has nothing to do with a true opiate withdrawal.

A piece of advice if you ever find yourself doubting your resolve and consider using again to ease it, you will not only postpone your withdrawal, you will end up experiencing something orders of magnitude more painful. So basically if you find it hard, tell yourself that going through this prevents you from having to this shit 10 times worse.

Good luck and keep us update on your progress.

Hey OP I know what you're talking about..I was in the same spot as you 2 years ago..Don't worry about the withdrawls,they're not as bad as you might think with the small habit you have..I started of on 10mg a day then it was 20,30 and once I got to 40mg I was scared to quit because of the withdrawl..I ended up quiting because my supply line ran dry and I was sick for only 2 days..I won't say sick more like uncomfortable..
NOW a few months later I got a connect that was serving 30mg oxycotin AND I said what the hell ill just do some here and there like I was doing with the hydrocodine pills and sence I already experienced withdrawl before I said it won't be that bad..BOY WAS I WRONG the 30mg a day turned into 60mg a day and that 60mg turned into 90mg a day and it kept going up and up Untill it peaked to 300mg a day..I turned into a full blown addict within a year..now came the time to quit OMG I don't even want to think about it but I'll tell you anyways,quitting cold turkey 300mg a day was HELL,I've been clean for about 3 months and I have no plans on returning to it..im 3 months sober from everything minus ciggerrettes..
If I was you ill quit now,don't worry about it 40mg is not much and sence you tapered down to 20mg is even better..you'll probably go 3 days of discomfort,but I don't think and im almost sure you won't get super sick..

Thanks for sharing. I am not far from your situation. Last time I tried to kick I made it until day 9, I was past the acute period but the PAWS were terrible. I couldnt sleep, was extremely anxious, the depression was crazy and the fatigue was killing me. Are you still struggling after 3 months ? How long did the worst of the PAWS lasted for you ?

OP, when I started using, I would skip days and had fun. Then one day I woke up and definetly felt not my normal self. I tested it a bit by not using and in the afternoon I knew I was in withdrawal. I felt this tension in my body, anxiety, bit of sweating... I told myself fuck that shit I'll worry about this later and went on using daily. I was doing about 50 to 60 mg daily.

Flashforward a little over a year, I have since experienced numerous times serious withdrawal that had nothing to do with the little incomfort I tagged as withdrawal in the beggining.

I am saying this to illustrate two things. The first is that your symptoms are really there. They are not purely psychological, it is not weakness, it is physiological (still the mind can make it worse). The second thing is this, you will experience discomfort (to what extant, as other said, no one can tell. And like I said, it also depends on your state of mind). But what you will experience has nothing to do with a true opiate withdrawal.

A piece of advice if you ever find yourself doubting your resolve and consider using again to ease it, you will not only postpone your withdrawal, you will end up experiencing something orders of magnitude more painful. So basically if you find it hard, tell yourself that going through this prevents you from having to this shit 10 times worse.

Good luck and keep us update on your progress.

Thanks for sharing. I am not far from your situation. Last time I tried to kick I made it until day 9, I was past the acute period but the PAWS were terrible. I couldnt sleep, was extremely anxious, the depression was crazy and the fatigue was killing me. Are you still struggling after 3 months ? How long did the worst of the PAWS lasted for you ?
The struggle officially ended after the 20th-25th day..I kind of remembered my 9th-15th day and those where the days I almost relapsed because I just couldn't take it any more..I mean I was only getting an hour a sleep a day for the first 25 days,restless leg,anxiety etcc it was hell I tell you..now 3 months later I feel awsome and its like I was never on pills..I feel very normal and my happiness returned..I've deleted all pill contacts out of my phone and changed my number(I did this right before I quit so I won't get tempted to call)..
I think what also prolonged my WITHDRAWL was me takin a measly 10mg hydrocodine pill, after the 5th day of withdrawl.im not sure maybe that's what prolonged it..
It's hell but if you just force yourself to try and go a month without any the you would see the light at the end of the tunnel lol..

The lack of energy or motivation to do anything is the worst..to me..the acute withdrawal may hurt more but it's short..PAWS sucks!!

Update: Have gotton flu like symptoms (Head pressure all over, jaw, sinuses, ears, throat, all hurt. Runny nose and whole body aches. Had the runs the day I posted this but its gone away since.) Symptoms have come with the attempt to tamper down. Still tampering with the through of it making the withdrawal not as bad. Down to 2 a day still, went down to 10mg for 2 or 3 days and it was as if I stopped cold turkey. I assume I tried to tamper too fast, from 40mg last Friday to a planned 10mg this Friday (Like i i said, still taking 20mg) will probably end up meeting my goal of 10mg a day some time next week. Has the worst of the symptoms yesterday and when I woke up. After taking a nap its gotten better without the aid of any oxycodone. I think the worst has come and gone. If i start to feel better tomorrow or the next day I'll see if I can go down to 10mg, but I have no clue how long these symptoms may persist, seems like they are dissipating though.

What you are trying to do is tapering (not tampering) but yes, it is way too fast to be efficient. Usually you would cut 5% to 10% of your daily dose and stick with it for one to two weeks.

It seems tho that you do have acute symptoms. To what extent, again it is impossible to predict. However I think you are doing yourself a disfavor in struggling to keep your dose low. You will basically spend the week in withdrawal before going into withdrawal.

I really don't want to rain on your parade. It tooks strenght and will to make it so far but I am afraid you are just going to extend your suffering. If you are determined to quit, you should flush everything you have left and go through. In the best case scenario, after one week at 10 mg a day, you will have reduce your symptoms by 20% to 30%. But if you quit now, by the time you would be ready to quit, on your current schedule, you will already be done with it. And most importantly, by sticking to 10 mg until then you will basically suffer about 80% of the withdrawal anyway for the whole week.

Honnestly the best thing you can do is start now. Doing otherwise will either set you for failure or force you to suffer longer than it needs to be.

What you are trying to do is tapering (not tampering) but yes, it is way too fast to be efficient. Usually you would cut 5% to 10% of your daily dose and stick with it for one to two weeks.

It seems tho that you do have acute symptoms. To what extent, again it is impossible to predict. However I think you are doing yourself a disfavor in struggling to keep your dose low. You will basically spend the week in withdrawal before going into withdrawal.

I really don't want to rain on your parade. It tooks strenght and will to make it so far but I am afraid you are just going to extend your suffering. If you are determined to quit, you should flush everything you have left and go through. In the best case scenario, after one week at 10 mg a day, you will have reduce your symptoms by 20% to 30%. But if you quit now, by the time you would be ready to quit, on your current schedule, you will already be done with it. And most importantly, by sticking to 10 mg until then you will basically suffer about 80% of the withdrawal anyway for the whole week.

Honnestly the best thing you can do is start now. Doing otherwise will either set you for failure or force you to suffer longer than it needs to be.
^ I couldn't agree more with bropiace! This post is 100% correct from my experiences trying to ween long ago. Just flush them and get on with it, in 5 days you'll be good to go. You haven't really given yourself time to get to peak wd because u keep dosing the 10-20mg so I'd say you haven't felt the worst of it yet. It's so brutal kicking, I know, but if u wanna do it as painless as possible then it's gonna take enduring the pain that comes along with the cold turkey... Good luck and I definitely wish u all the best!

I hope I don't come off as condescending or as if I believe my problem is bigger than yours. I simply want to use myself as a reference to illustrate my view. I was taking hydros for around 4 years non-stop. I started off with 2 or 3 7.5/500 hydros a day back before they dropped all the tylenol to 325. I was taking 30-35 10/325 hydros at my worst, right before I moved up to h and then got onto bupe maintenance. My withdrawls consisted of extreme diharreah, vomiting because I swallowed my own spit, yawning every 5 minutes which made my eyes extremely watery, I could not stop sneezing, anxiety to the extent of having to squeeze my butt and every single muscle in my back to release some of the tension that the anxiety physically caused, extreme lack of energy and motivation, and let's not forget the unbearable RLS I suffered at night when I tried to sleep which made want to squeeze my butt also and keep kicking and moving around in a very unorthodox manner. All this came about after 8 to 12 hours after I took my last hydros. So if you're able to go a couple of days without taking anything and not experience majority of the core symptoms I just described in a fashion so extreme that you're completely trashed and battered then your withdrawl symptoms will be very minimal both in duration and intensity. I feel that the withdrawls you might be facing will actually be a manifestation of your mind thinking it's dependant and will cause you to overplay and over analyze the severity of the withdrawl symptoms you actually experience, the mind is a very powerful thing and it has a tendency to play tricks on us without our knowledge of it. But then again that's just my 2 cents, I might be right or I might be wrong. We're all different anatomically so what holds true for me does not necessarily have to be true for you.

although i have shit knowledge of opiate WD but i can agree with mind playing tricks and how powerful it can be that it manifest our fears into shit that isnt real