• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Opiate withdrawal issue

nonutznoglory

Greenlighter
Just like a lot of people swim started out as back surgery and getting the pain pills after. So after about 8 months swim stopped taking the meds and tried to go back to work and end up aggravating swims old injury and now need another fusion surgery but best odds are 50/50 surgeon said of improving swims condition. Now, since 9/14 swim been prescribed 10mg/4 a day of oxy IR and like a lot of people swims tolerance went up and started to run short on meds from a few days to now 120 pills literally last swim about 12 days or so. Swim doesn't have insurance and even though swim is in moderate pain, not dangerous ,sharp can't move pain they still find thereself buying extra from a buddy and recently "graduated" to a low h habit which swim is sure will turn into a big one as that seems to be how it works! My questions are this. A) how bad of a withdrawal is swim in for? B) how long of a period being the bad physical part? C) Swim was able to get there hands on .5 mg xanax for that was what they heard to help big time. Can the xanax, medicine for nausea and diarrhea, Gatorade and crackers get them through the amount of time needed to get through worst part? They know there is the Thomas recipe and what not BUT swim doesn't have access to any more cash for awhile or a car and has only 4 of their oxy left and wants those to be the last 4 they take. Please give swim the advice they need if possible.

New to doing anything like this and sorry if my wording or rambling is not how things are done here or if I'm even in the right spot to do so. Just looking for advice and opinions on how to go about this

Also, even if I kick, I'm still gonna be in enough pain from my back issues where things like ibuprofen or other ORC pain relievers don't work even in the least so there lies my problem as well.

Well sorry I'm a little late just a new user going through the forums now; I can only assume the oxies and xanax are gone by now but I'll try to answer your question anyway.

First, no need to identify as SWIM here haha.
Second, you'll have to look into alternative pain management as you don't have any insurance. I've heard kratom can be good but can be just as addictive as the opiates. Also, I watched a special on Dr.Drew and they made some interesting observations. Opiate users tend to over exaggerate their pain. Once they are tapered off the meds, the way they describe their pain becomes less exaggerated and once they are properly managed they only talk about their pain when provolked. A methadone or suboxone maintenance program may be right up your alley.

With quitting opiates you have to really want it. If you keep making excuses to keep using, you're not ready.

If you plan on detoxing without methadone or suboxone, get ready to feel pretty nasty for about a week. I think the xanax, immodium and gatorade combination along with vitamins (specifically vitamin d, milk thistle and vitamin b6) would help you tremendously. Don't overdo the xanax though or you risk replacing one addiction with another. Use it stricly to help you get off the opiates and taper yourself. If you take one for the entire week of your detox, taper yourself to half of one for a couple of days on the 7th and 8th day, then half of a half on the 9th and 10th day.

If you make it through the physical withdrawal, you've done the easy part. Post-Acute Withdrawal is the hard part. You'll feel depressed and anxious if you've used heavily for a long time. The good news is, it does get better, if you want it bad enough you will do it and when you do it it'll feel amazing.

Best of luck to you sir.

Nobody can really say what you're in for because everybody is different. For me, the worst of WD was diarrhea, vomiting, not eating, hot/cold flashes, sweating and imsomnia. When I went through my first WD I had ALL THE symptoms but as the years went on and the numerous times I went through WD it seems as if it's gotten less intense and more endurable. I used Xanax to help me sleep. So I'd say it helps big time because any amount of sleep during WD is extremely helpful. And yes stock up on Gatorade to stay hydrated. You'll be extremely dehydrated from the diarrhea and vomiting.

Don't use swim. I can somehow (somehow) see the logic when admitting to illegal things in other places, but you've only spoken of doctor scripts, which are legal. I'll read the rest now and edit if needed (if I can help). Ah I see, the H. H is not much stronger than oxycodone. What's your dose of OxyIR, you have the 20mg footballs? OxyIR is a Canadian product, you cannot not have insurance, it's illegal, so, pay your province's med insurance, it's cheap as all hell, covers most things, covers OxyIR for example, when it doesn't covers Percocet or Oxycontin or generic Oxycodone-CR in my province. OxyIR/Supeudol are also pretty cheap, sure 120 of the 20's is more expensive then 30 of the 5 and 10mg ones I had scripted legit some time ago. Oxycodone is one of the best opiates, like hydrocodone, oral doses are efficient as a shot of morphine (dose equivalent when it comes to Hydrocodone, 20mg hydrocodone eaten = 20mg morphine IV). I know hydrocodone is hard to get scripted for anything other than painful cough up here, but that's something to mention anyways, we got acetaminophen free 5mg Hycodan and Tussionex tablets.)

Stay on your OxyIR's, add in some comfort meds, tell your doctor about hydroxyzine and how you read it makes one need less opiates (it really does and is used for this reason often), try and get a script for a cheap NSAID which is better than the average, I recommend meloxicam, it's a classic NSAID but really causes less stomach/intestinal pain if you're one who gets that issue from NSAIDs. You only need one dose a day too. Stay away from Celebrex, when Vioxx was removed, Celebrex was extremely lobbied for to remain, and there is no generic, even in Canada, and costs an arm and a leg. Please, if you gotta add H, snort it/smoke it, and if you got money for H, you got money for a monthly payment for your province's med insurance.

You will not experience much withdrawal if you make up for H with more oxycodone, temporarily. Honestly, I can hardly imagine, other than one hell of a car accident one survives, needing more than 6x20mg oxycodone footballs.

Last edited:
I had to take 160mgs of oxycodone per day just to control my pain just for some spinal injury.

I see its been awhile sense you posted this nonutznoglory. But what you decribed is the natural progression of a lot of people that are prescribed strong opiate painkillers such as oxy. By now I am sure your habit is that of a majority of people addicted to opiates. Xanax and gatorade will NOT and I repeat WILL NOT get you through withdrawals painlessly, the xanax might help a little as withdrawals cause severe anxiety. But what you gotta realize is that when you take xanax you usually start to get feeling good and with no inhibitions you will inevitably take or go look for more opiates to take and thus just depleting your supply of xanax without ever accomplishing your detox. You really need to go get yourself some suboxone and use it for a week or two at most in super super small doses - no more then 1mg a day for first few days and then drop it down to 0.5mgs or less every other day. Nothing will help you feel better other then another opioid when it comes to withdrawal and your habit is such that you really do need some suboxone to help you get off as your withdrawals will be severe and very very uncomfortable. Just know that. The sooner you detox the better as your habit will just keep growing and the chances of you actually going through with detox will lessen each and everyday until you hit rock bottom or forced by your parents or family members to get off (which never works as you have to detox for yourself and yourself only otherwise you WILL fail). Look its going to be hard and you have to realize it, it will be the hardest thing you ever do in your life and that is no joke, opiate addiction is unlike any other addiction out there.

I see its been awhile sense you posted this nonutznoglory. But what you decribed is the natural progression of a lot of people that are prescribed strong opiate painkillers such as oxy. By now I am sure your habit is that of a majority of people addicted to opiates. Xanax and gatorade will NOT and I repeat WILL NOT get you through withdrawals painlessly, the xanax might help a little as withdrawals cause severe anxiety. But what you gotta realize is that when you take xanax you usually start to get feeling good and with no inhibitions you will inevitably take or go look for more opiates to take *It is not inevitable, everyone has their own experience, of course with opiates it's often similar, but will *inevitably* make him/her look to score...Maybe the person is committed and has strong will. I know a handful of people who called in sick with a paper from the doctor saying they had bronchitis or something with an x-ray paper they never went to take and stayed 10-11 days locked in their bedroom, taking benzos, hydroxyzine, dxm in small doses, apparently it helps some, not me, and some of them had large costco boxes of Ensure for food. They came out and never shot up again. Be careful with generalization as it can get into the head of the person you're trying to help and discourage them* and thus just depleting your supply of xanax without ever accomplishing your detox. You really need to go get yourself some suboxone and use it for a week or two at most in super super small doses - no more then 1mg a day for first few days and then drop it down to 0.5mgs or less every other day. Nothing will help you feel better other then another opioid when it comes to withdrawal and your habit is such that you really do need some suboxone to help you get off as your withdrawals will be severe and very very uncomfortable. Just know that. The sooner you detox the better as your habit will just keep growing and the chances of you actually going through with detox will lessen each and everyday until you hit rock bottom or forced by your parents or family members to get off (which never works as you have to detox for yourself and yourself only otherwise you WILL fail). Look its going to be hard and you have to realize it, it will be the hardest thing you ever do in your life and that is no joke, opiate addiction is unlike any other addiction out there.

Just making things clear for another poor soul. I don't know the strength of xanax he's got, but if has max the 1mg ones, he can get out without a benzo addiction.

I had to take 160mgs of oxycodone per day just to control my pain just for some spinal injury.

I believe you. I also believe that they did not use the correct medication if you needed that much Oxycodone. I know how Finns sometimes take offense as being called a Scandinavian country even though Swedish is an official language. But you guys have Ketobemidone, just one 5mg pill is extremely euphoric and an amazing painkiller. It's all over scanadinavian countries even if the UN a long time ago tried to force it out of your pharmacopeia.

I'm also thinking, do you have XR formulations of Hydromorphone over there? I know the oral BA of hydromorphone sucks and is why it is so often prescribed in Canada, the 1 and 2mg ones, because obviously most people will not snort or shoot them up and discover the real powder of HM. I think Jurnistas exist all over the world, they exist here, but don't sell, as our HydromorphContins outsells it vastly, because of how more efficient it is, they're 12 hour gelcap with beads inside, the highest dose are 30mg, which WILL make one feel an oral dose, but also they're easy to abuse, while Jurnista is practically impossible, but the doses go up to 72mg over 24 hour. I'm pretty sure a Jurnista 72 with some OxyIR to complement break through pain would work fine, nevermind how creepy Jurnistas are, I mean seriously, a pill you shit out because the tiny hole through which it releases hydromorphone is part of that practically ( I know some have developed techniques similar to that for the Exalgos in the US, which I think use a different process than Jurnistas, but anyway, they laughably stop at 32mg over 24 hours).

Maybe 200mg MS-Contins a couple times a day with some oxyIR for breakthrough. Using only IR pain drugs for a chronic situation is not ideal. An XR (strong enough for you) of morphine, hydromorphone, oxymorphone, whatever strange opioid you have over there. The Ketobemidone is IR only pills as I recall, that would be an ideal breakthrough pain pill. I got empathy though man, not trying to fill your head with my ideas (which are good but..eh), I can sympathize easily when my my left jaw bone is fucked up, 2 oxyIR 20mg with a MS-Contin 60mg (eaten) would do the trick, but that was just temporary as I profited from a friend who happened to have a lot, lot of different kind of pills back '09-10 selling them for almost nothing.