• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids opiate withdrawal depression treatment

gregg

Bluelighter
Just curious what is usually done for the depression in terms or medication and such... how long before the detox is the medication started, what meds are mostly used, how quickly to they become effective? are they discontinued after detox?

SSRI's helped me when I was a young junkie and on a lot of codeine. I don't think anything short of time will get rid of your depression if you've got a serious habit though.

Go for a run, it helps more than you'd think.

^ Yep, exercise will help release natural endorphins which, during the PAWS phase, may help a lot.

^ Seconding the exercise advice. An intense cardio activity like running or swimming work best IMO and IME.

Third on the exercise.

This thread isn't the best place to mention this- but a hard work out before dosing opiates kicks up the euphoria quite a bit. It's a natural potentiator.

usually as far as medication goes there's suboxone which is being looked at for use as an antidepressant. its suppose to be used 3 days after withdrawals have started and is effective for 36 hours (one 8mg dose iirc)

this is gonna sound stupid but isnt cannabis helpful as kind of self-medication , and may also ease the need to feel you are using some kind of drug as psychologically i think some of like using drugs?* albeit something only a bit illegal;

other than that - i dint realise suboxone had an antidepressant effect thats useful if so - i know it is Great for actually kicking heroin in my partner"s experience, well we have subutex same sort of thing

But effexor etc anti-depressants I guess some people may take them alongside opiate detox - I know people who go without, but at least 1 is on anti-depressants + methadone I think

but with experience on those myself, effexor type standard anti-depressants take a good 4 weeks say to kick in at all - then its very ! important you do a good taper on them to come off , and not stop suddenly and they usually say, I think you need min of 3 months for them to have some effect

but i don"t know if there is a quick, maybe suboxone?- acting temporary anti-depressant which you can taper off along with the opiate withdrawal without staying on full on anti-depressants for months - Hving said that - to get off opiates is a such a good positive thing that its perhaps a small price to pay to have to do anti-depressants for a few months after withdrawal, then taper off hopefully to a balanced life

If you had depression as a tendency before opiate use maybe you may need anti-depressants anyway? for a while
opiate use seems to mask a few other things so you can"t see clearly, in my experience with other users ie if you have depression or is it caused by drug use and would go without the drugs etc

Last edited:
Cannabis does help alot with WD's and the depression but I often end us using the weed as a substitute and ill relapse on the opes if I stop smoking the green so dont become dependent on it.

The depression of Wd's is way worse than any physical part for me, Depression from opiate Wd is also the worst depression ive ever felt including meth comedowns from being up for a week so I really feel for you guys on the gear and I know why there is a sort of family/caring connection between some users(the ones with a heart and morals, not selfish junkies) .

Benzos also help but again there is a problem with substituting there, a short bupe taper can work wonders but ive never done it myself. Tramadol is an SSRI and one of the only ones that work immediately so if you can work a sort of taper program with tram and you have access to is then the SSRI component of it should help alot with the depression.

Good luck :)

exercising helps a lot with depression-it releases natural endorfins , SSRI's help some people but it usually takes a long time to find the right one and long time for medication to start working+ side effects suck. suboxone helps me a lot with my depression but it's also an addiction, it definitely has some antidepressant properties-quiting suboxone is another story.

Welp man i went from college to being a full time bored bum with 50 bucks to my name. I start a job at a telemarketing place in a week and a half that sounds real fun huh? My mom and dad constantly saying exercise do this shovel read all these things wll make u happy.

Well fuck sober reality cause it fucking sucks.

the hole cannabis thing, everyone's different, some people will get more depressed from it.

and some people like me get very happy.

everyone and body is different.

I'm going through the same thing. I have to be drug tested at the moment though. I just ordered some Kava Kava to help me relax. I'll let you know how it goes.

Seriously, Good luck.

it sucks but it takes time, and plenty of it... stick with it, it will be worth it (hard to believe now i'm sure but really you'll be much better off).

im heavily biased but dxm works for me. keeps me entertained and seems to sooth the body at low doses, and does not cause (in my case) withdrawals upon stopping.

Remaron worked pretty good for my. And it also helped my with the insosomnia from the W/D
If i was you i would look in to this.

Exercise is great. Doctors sometimes use effexor

Don't let your doc get you on effexor unless you agree that it is your best option, and even then read the horror stories on this forum before you accept a script. Effexor has done nothing but good for me, but I also have never tried to quit yet...

This thread isn't the best place to mention this- but a hard work out before dosing opiates kicks up the euphoria quite a bit. It's a natural potentiator.

Oh sweet Jebis.

I remember the days when I used to do heavy squats, so many reps I felt like I was going to puke...

Then, a trip to the locker room to snort an OC 80. Oh muther fuck. I felt like a God.

Welp man i went from college to being a full time bored bum with 50 bucks to my name. I start a job at a telemarketing place in a week and a half that sounds real fun huh? My mom and dad constantly saying exercise do this shovel read all these things wll make u happy.

Well fuck sober reality cause it fucking sucks.

I know this is a bit harsh, but after talking to tons of opiate addicts, I have come to realize that they are some of the most self pitying creatures on earth. That's not to say all are (I've been a long time addict and am in the process of quitting), but I've found that most are. You won't want to hear this. You aren't in a bad position in your life because of anything but your own choices. You work at a telemarketing center because you chose to settle for it. Sober reality is only shittier than the high if you let it be. You could be a millionaire. If there is one thing I have learned in life so far, it's that the cliche phrase that you can be anything you want to be is cliche for a reason...it's 100% true. I really wish people would get out of this self pity cycle of "my life sucks and it will always be that way" and fucking DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. If you expect it to be easy, you can think again, but it is possible. Albert Einstein said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." Your life isn't going to improve itself. Get off your ass and make it better.

^In DubCity23's defence, I'd like to add that getting off ones ass isn't the easiest thing in the world to do during WD's or PAWS