• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiate Overdose Symptoms

washingtonbound

Bluelighter
I'm concerned that I nearly overdosed on opiates recently but the symptoms were not exactly what I expected. I had taken a tad too much dilaudid and hydrocodone in combination with some soma, and before long I was having these muscle spasms but more specifically I became extremely anxious and paranoid that I was going to die, to the point that it almost felt as if I had taken too much of a stimulant. It was a very scary experience and not one I would ever wish to have again. I had assumed before that an opiate overdose would result in just kind of nodding off into oblivion, but this experience was highly anxiety inducing and disturbing. I'm new to opiates but having such a scary experience has made me swear off of them for a while. For those of you who have OD'd, what have your symptoms been like?

Your symptoms do not seem at all like an opiate poisoning, it seems like a simple panic attack. On the other hand, the safest thing is that it was caused by a negative response to some of its typical symptoms.
You don't confuse an overdose with intoxication, in general, the result of an overdose is death from respiratory failure if the appropriate measures are not taken, on the other hand intoxication is a list of symptoms.

Symptoms of opiate poisoning may include:

Altered mental state, for example confusion, delirium, hallucinations or decrease in consciousness or response.
Respiratory problems (breathing may decrease and, after a while, stop).
Extreme drowsiness or loss of mental alertness.
Nausea and vomiting.
Small pupils.

DocLad

Last edited:
^Like Doclad said, your reaction is not typical of an opiate overdose. An opiate overdose would include things like uncontrollable loss of consciousness, very slow heart rate, severe nausea, etc.

I wouldn't recommend mixing opiates if you don't take the combo on a regular basis. Once you combine depressants they start to become unpredictable in how much respiratory depression they cause.

The one time i nearly OD'd was on poppy seed tea, it's an extremely dangerous concoction. I misjudged how much i needed and ended up struggling very hard to stay conscious while fighting off the urge to puke. My breaths were extremely faint and when i vomited i barely had enough breath to get the vomit out of my throat.

I'm quite convinced that i would have died if i passed out in that state since i wouldn't have had enough strength to clear any vomit in my throat while unconscious. It was one of the scariest moments of my life.

If you feel your life is ever in danger please don't come here, go to the hospital. As much as we wish we could help stop an active OD through a computer screen, we can't, and opiate overdoses usually come on unexpectedly.

I continued to use for a few days after that and was definitely severly nauseous on several occasions. I hardly ate anything that week and even something as simple as water would have me puking.

However, I wasn’t too concerned with overdosing is most of these instances because my consciousness wasn’t that effected; I only seemed to be genuinely scared for my life when the extreme paranoia set in after I overdid it on the dosage/combo when I first started dosing that week.