• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opana/Suboxone tapering......

MeLikesToTweak

Greenlighter
Ok so it's been maybe 4 or 5 months since my girlfriend relapsed. At the peak of her relapse she would need half of an Opana 20mg intraveinously to stay well.....she has done so well tapering herself off of it. She would much rather do Sub as it is cheaper and lasts so much longer than Opana, but Subs are dry around where we live so she has been doing with what's available. Barely staying well and always some hustle going on to make a little bit of money.....but it will all be better soon since I recently found some work. I have to find a way to and from work every day and family is reluctant to help but they do get me to work......

Anyways back on topic. She has gone from needing that half a 20 to a mere 1/16th..! I am sure of this because I'm with her 24/7. I'm no expert on Subs but she says it takes 3 days until the withdrawal from the Sub kicks in. She says that 2mg of Sub intraveinously can keep her well for 3 days but she can make that last longer if needed. So my question is this. How does she go about tapering from a small amount like that to where she does not need any? I would like for her to quit with the pokey-pokes as soon as possible cause it's just ugly and dangerous....especially using one needle for a whole week or more.

I was thinking she could taper from 2mg IV to 2 or 3 mg sublingually, then go lower from there...I want advice from BL users. I'm no expert in this but I know enough to get by and know what's going on. What would the best way be to taper off of Subs?

So just a thought, if she's using the same needle for a week at a time not only is the risk for hepatitis c ultra high but by all rights strips aren't meant to be injected now having said those things I've done all of them and it's almost the opposite for everyone around here pills are extinct and subs and methadone are everywhere as well as heroin and fentanyl and carfentinal anyway I think your thinking of switching from the IV to sublingual is a good idea but she's still going to probably really struggle with getting away from the needle she will find herself feeling like something is missing even tho she is well and able to function and on another note she may need to up her sub intake while she makes the transition from IV to sublingual and I know that's not what either of you want to hear right now but it's still a very large possibility just try your idea and see how it goes and honestly even if she does have to up her dose sublingually you both clearly understand the tapering method which in all honesty if she gets back down below half a strip and then to a quarter of a strip then try cutting the quarter in half until she gets ready enough to just drop it because I can assure you both the withdrawal from 1 or 2 mg of suboxone is very tolerable trust me my girl and I have both done it and so have a few friends but you have to have some kind of an aftercare maintenance plan because if you don't one day you will just be sitting there and suddenly getting high will sound like the greatest idea you've ever had... but nevertheless good luck to you both for real I salute you for even reaching the point you're at already I've been struggling with heroin/fentanyl/opana for the last 11 years just back and forth between getting clean and relapse back into it all over again but if you're ready for this to be totally over then hopefully you have something else to take its place of importance in your lives. Good luck and a good day to you both hope I was helpful in some way

subs are great for getting off of heroin - google 'rapid subutex detox' but its basically find the dose you need to get well, stay on that for a couple of days, then reduce by a quarter or a half (i do half), stabilize on that, stay on for a day or two then just rinse and repeat til you're down to around 0.1-0.2mgs then jump.

quickest one i ever did took 6 days, but that was pretty brutal, you can taper off relatively comfortably (comfort meds are always a plus but not necessary) in under two weeks