• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

one month of klonopin use. need advice

Paul256

Greenlighter
Hi guys im wondering if there are some here who could give me there opinion. I am on my 27th day of klonopin use as prescribed by my doctor and i am ready to come off. i used 1mg a day for the first week, .75mg for second week, and .50 since then. i have a history with this drug but have not touched it for 4 years prior to this. hoping to get some opinions on weather i should taper or not. thanks.

Welcome to BL, thread moved to BDD for better chance of responses

Because you have a history with klonopin, that should serve as a reference point. Ideally you want to talk with your prescribing dr, but you know yourself better than anyone else.
Personally, I'd start skipping a day in between doses of the 0.5mg to gauge whether any withdrawal reactions might crop up. If nothing by two weeks then I'd just stop.

Right, klonopin has a long half life which means tapering would basically be going from 0.5 mg per day to 0.5 mg every other day for a week or so, then maybe 0.5 mg twice a week for a week. After that you could probably just quit cold turkey.

Probably don't need it. That's such a small amount. I cold turkeyed off of a year 2mg/day habit. Nothing bad happened whatsoever. Your mileage may vary.

That's a low dose you got down to, good job. Did your doctor say just discontinue now at .50? Maybe you could do .25 for a bit and then drop it totally if you are more comfortable that way. Good luck.