• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos One month clean of heroin. I'm doing a Diazepam taper and could really use some help

Highdroid

Greenlighter
Hi, Thank you for reading this.

I've used heroin for 3 months (smoked) and im over a month clean now.
But I've also been tapering off of 40mg Diazepam (10 - 10 - 20) and im now at 25 mg ( 2.5- 2.5 - 20), I've reduced by 5 mg (daily dose first). Now I don't know where to reduce next. The night dose by 5 mg a week until 10mg is reached and then reduce by 2.5mg?
Another issue is that in 20 days I'll get more diazepam. I have 40 10mg tablets left. I'm anxious about having to taper quicker... If I reduce by 5 until 10 night dose it'll take 2 weeks so 250 mg is taken in that time... Actually.. Im not able to concentrate well and make stupid mistakes but those seem to be enough tablets until my appointment but not enough for the whole taper...

Do you think I can use the 400mg I have to taper down to zero from 25mg a day? Or would that be too fast? I'm not sure I'll even get Diazepam from my new psychiatrist (my old one sort of kicked me out cause I didn't tell him about my addiction)... I'm scared of the withdrawals... And I still have some opiate withdrawal, less every day but very present. BTW I've used benzodiazepines for about 3 months.

Im hoping the 400mg can be enough to quit completely... I've failed to calculate it correctly multiple times in my state of mind. I also take my nightly dose and try to sleep (and feel sleepy) but can't fall asleep so I stay awake until like 4 am when I'm just naturally tired but the diazepam has worn off... Then I wake up at 1pm... I can't seem to fix my sleep rhythm but I can live with that if it means I can completely quit safely with the pills I have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I take 40 mg of diazepam a day. Dude, read the threads more so you don't have to go through this shit.

You can do this. Taper slow as you can down to 15 mg then 10mg. If you do it right, it might suck a little, but not much.

matter of fact, can't you slowly taper to 15mg, then stay there for the rest of the month?
If I did the right math, then that's doable. Throw in something like valerian or if able, gabapentin or lyrica, then you'll be great.

Gabapentin isn't controlled or even shows up on a drug test. Picking up some gabapentin is exactly what I'd do.

Last edited:
OP, you are psyching yourself out. You need to figure out a taper schedule, this is doable. I'd like to know some more details about your situation though. Are you getting your Diazepam (Valium) through legitimate means? If this is the case, then I would suggest informing your prescriber of your intention to taper. You can still make your own schedule, so to speak, but it can be helpful to have another human being in general on board.

For instance, you might say to your prescriber, please prescribe this taper schedule for me, although I think it might be a little extreme, I would like to attempt it. If I become too uncomfortable, we can discuss a plateau in the schedule or even an increase. The point of all that being, not having the pills in your physical possession can be helpful, so you can't just reach in your nightstand and grab them, you'd have to be more proactive.

Eithe way, the best way to taper Benzodiazepines is slowly, for the benefit of both your physical and psychological health. If you have a limited supply to work with, then that's the breaks. Do the math and figure out what you can swing. I'm with Speed in that you should try to acquire some medication to ease the process, but which won't interact with your Benzodiazepine tolerance. Gabapentin (Neurontin), Pregabalin (Lyrica), Clonidine (Catapres) and many others could help you significantly.

Get back to me with the details regarding your situation OP

Thank you very much.
I got my Valium at a private rehab facility in Switzerland, then I ran out but my psychiatrist said I can't go to him anymore... They said I should go to the psychiatrist in this hospital where I did my first rehab from heroin after 2 months of consumption and they kept giving me methadone and ended up making everything worse... I can't go back there now that I'm one month clean.. It's too much.

So I found a new psychiatrist but my appointment is on the 25th.

The Valium I have now my dad gave to me as he used to take them. I'm not planning on hiding anything from the new doctor.

I am prescribed 750mg lyrica a day so that helps (I usually just take 300 cause it's enough for no pregabalin withdrawal) but sometimes I take another 300 to cope with withdrawals

I'm sorry if I came on to hard. My bad. I feel for you. Any chance you can get a benzo back and or get more or less lyrica depending how you feel?

I'm sorry if I came on to hard. My bad. I feel for you. Any chance you can get a benzo back and or get more or less lyrica depending how you feel?

Don't worry, I don't think that you came on too hard. I am actually very grateful that you care.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "get a benzo back". Do you mean reduce my dosage and take more pregabalin to cope with the withdrawal symptoms?

Well sure. I take both. Some days I prefer one more than the other. However you prefer it.

Thanks so much to all of you!!! I will follow the Ashton manual exactly. Don't wanna become a statistic...

This was overkill for a habit like you had. The lyrica alone would have mitigated it. Hope you are well, that isn't a huge dosage of valium you are taking, you can do this.