• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc On Vivitrol for heroin and want to at least drink soon?

downfallin

Bluelighter
SWIM just got swim`s second Vivitrol shot 2 weeks ago. For those who don`t know it`s a shot that blocks your receptors so you can`t get high basically. It`s supposed to only block opiates and alcohol, but I swear SWIM bought a gram of 20X Salvia smoked the whole gram to his face and didn`t feel shit. Swim`s not immune to it either, swim`s first time swim tripped the fuck out to say the least and swim actually has a trip report about it that he posted here a couple years back. So swim thinks it blocks more than just those. Swim got this shot for his heroin addiction but didn`t realize at first getting it that it blocked other things also. Lately swim have been wanting to drink alot. Swim got drunk right before his 2nd shot and it worked but SDK if it would work now. Swim dosn`t really want to be on this tbh but as with alot of people who are on this shot, it`s basically to keep other people happy, and keep a roof over his head.;) To clarify it`s SWIM who wants to get off the H so plz don`t give swim that "you need to be doing it for yourself" shit you hear at NA all the time. (Glad SWIM dosn`t go to that shit anymore what a load of brainwashing crap :)) Sorry to anyone who likes NA but thats a post for another time.:) Anyways, is anyone in a simmilar boat and have any advice or wanna bitch about it also? Cuz Swim searched the web and barely found anything about it from a personal experience standpoint. (probably because not many opiate addicts would subject themselves to this willingly and Swim can see why. Also swim really wants to drink soon anyone know how soon it would probably work???

Please stop using SWIM! It is super annoying to read posts with that in it & offers you absolutely no type of legal protection. But to answer your question vivitrol will also block alcohol & was originally made for treating alcoholics.

salvia is a kappa opioid receptor agonist. vivitrol is naltrexone, which has equal affinity for mu, kappa, and delta receptors. i'm not surprised you didn't feel anything, since vivitrol blocks the effect of kappa agonists too. i know it sounds weird but salvia is technically an opioid.

in any case, you should be able to get high off just about anything else.

and so you know, naltrexone doesn't block all of alcohol's effects. it only blocks alcohol's effects on the reward system because alcohol causes your brain to release endorphins. it should reduce the craving for alcohol and the rewarding feeling alcohol gives you, but it doesn't mean you can't overdose and die from alcohol so you should be careful if you choose to drink. but you really shouldn't even bother because drinking won't feel good if your opioid receptors are blockaded. you don't have to take my advice, but if i were you i would take advantage of my treatment and get in some clean time.

that`s pretty interesting that salvia is an opioid. I guess that`s another reason why opioid receptors are good for more than nodding out and drooling on yourself and waking up with cigarette holes in your pants haha. I totally believe you, but my doc told me that Vivitrol ONLY blocks the Mu opioid receptor. I will take your word for it over his any day because the doc I was talking to about Vivitrol before this one told me and my parents suboxone wasn`t an opiate and I could go right to the shot with no abstinence from it! What a load of shit. haha. You`d think these doctors would do a little research on what they are prescribing these patients. Thanks for teaching me something new!

And as for the clean time thing I know your right, I was just having one of those unbearable craving days that I get once in a while. I have also been weening down on my gabapenten sp? Which the doc told me isn`t addictive but I swear I withdrawal and used to get high from.

It is not correct to say that salvia is an opioid. Salvia is a plant. It's active drug salvinorum a is not an opioid either, although it does work on kappa opioid receptors.

Sorry to nit pick.

I havent tried to drink more then a shot to increase my xanax dose but the stuff swim gets breaks through for opiates on day 17+ and stops 2/3 days before shot and gets no withdrawl

You can get drunk and high as much as you want. You just need to stop taking the Naltrexone? You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you required Vivitrol to maintain even short-term sobriety and considering your cravings are still at a pretty severe level even while on it, you should be prepared for consequences when stopping. I'm an addict too and I'm not judging. I really wanted to be off Methadone a couple of times so I could get high on short-acting Opioids a couple of time. I ended up in a full blown cycle of dependence within about 2-3 weeks and was back on Methadone a year later.

It's not always going to be like this if you work on yourself and try really hard to maintain your sobriety, but just quitting your Vivitrol because you would like to drink alcohol is probably going to be a mistake for you.