• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Older folks: Change in Absorption Time?

jasperkent

Bluelighter
Okay, so I've been drinking, smoking, and using and/or abusing various drugs for at least 50 yrs. Had a few very short periods of abstinence, several years ago.
Question:
Has anyone experienced the phenomenon of a delayed reaction to anything?
Lately it seems like when I take a toke or two of weed I don't much feel it till 10 mins later.
Or when I'm drinking I never feel an initial flush from a few swallows of booze...till 5 to 15 mins later.
And I recently scored some meth (which I haven't done in a while) and when I smoked a shard I felt no rush at all but was almost TOO HIGH 10 mins later.

What's up?

PS: I'm 62

Okay, so I've been drinking, smoking, and using and/or abusing various drugs for at least 50 yrs. Had a few very short periods of abstinence, several years ago.
Question:
Lately it seems like when I take a toke or two of weed I don't much feel it till 10 mins later.
Or when I'm drinking I never feel an initial flush from a few swallows of booze...till 5 to 15 mins later.
And I recently scored some meth (which I haven't done in a while) and when I smoked a shard I felt no rush at all but was almost TOO HIGH 10 mins later.

What's up?

with weed i get so high that i don't think i got high. 10 minutes later and I'm paranoid stoned. not for me anymore.

alcohol has always taken about 5 minutes for me to feel anything.

haven't done meth in a loooooong time.

I'm 52

Question:

What's up?

Liver

I'm sure my liver is compromised. But how would that slow down my perceived effects from drugs? If anything, I'd have guessed that poor liver function would speed up intoxication.

Metabolism slows down with age, I'd imagine this may play a part.

I'm sure my liver is compromised. But how would that slow down my perceived effects from drugs? If anything, I'd have guessed that poor liver function would speed up intoxication.
For some drugs like alcohol it might increase effects, other drugs such as prodrugs that need to be metabolized before they are psychoactive might be lessened.

Just speculating here.

Used to. Not a pleasant lifestyle.
These days it's beer&weed in the evenings and just an occasional dabble in serious drugs-- and those occasions are becoming more few and far between.
i wanna throw the whole yoke off and just be sober now. can't do AA/NA. loathe 12 step programs. I've fallen up and down those steps too many times to believe they'll work for me.

Same here.
Tried for years to convince myself 12 Step bullshit might help me.
No.

And now I'm good where I'm at, thank you very much.