• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Occupy Australia - International Day of Protest - October 15th 2011 - Melb, Syd, Bris

aqae

Greenlighter
"NON-VIOLENTLY sending a message to the financial sector worldwide. Australia too is under the same bind of freedom because of monetary policy and corporate greed. Show your support for Occupy Wall Street! Occupy Australia!!!"

Dear all,

I am writing as a call to action for the International Day of Protest due globally on October 15th 2011.

As you may well have heard by now, the Occupy Wall St protests have gained attitude and momentum, and have spread virally across the United States, calling for an end to corporate greed and injustice, and a real democracy for all human beings on this planet.

As a part of this movement we are hoping to plan a peaceful, passive protest somewhere in Melbourne CBD, Federation Square has been mentioned as an ideal target. Simultaneous protests are currently being planned in Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth and Sydney.

With great respect to the fact that this is quite short notice (just over a fortnight...) we would ask that you consider this protest and that you should be a part of it. This is a call for us as Australians and citizens of this planet to stand up in solidarity without narrow political ideals for our rights to co-exist free from the bonds of political interests swayed heavily by high-end corporate greed and intentions. Jobs are being lost and the poverty line is being pushed further down as a result of the "1%" gearing the financial and political systems towards their own best interest.

We of course are a small grass roots movement with no attachments to any political or religious parties, we feel this is a part of a global movement and a fantastic oppurtunity for all to stand up and let their voices be heard. Any opinions, input or help are of course greatly appreciated and encouraged. And of course if you feel this is a worthy

I ask you to please consider and visit the following link:

Occupy Brisbane

Occupy Sydney

World Revolution for Real Democracy

Occupy Melbourne < - us

15.O International Mobilization:

[email protected]

Adelaide and Perth pages coming soon... unless you want to do something about it!!

Stand up!

in solidarity

aqae

Great cause and hopefully it goes well and you have a good turn out.

Don't think I will be around to make it.

ok thanks a lot well at least pleast like the facebook page and share it so your friends can see and join... just at least spreading the word... that's what it's about atm!

thanks!

Kudos for spreading the message. I'll be there. I'm hoping it gets anywhere near as big and as lasting as the U.S. ones, though I don't have a lot of faith in that because things aren't nearly as bad here as they are there. But the core problems are the same and I believe it's time to act pre-emptively to resolve them.

Good to see the Victoria police reinforce the ideology that they serve the elite and protect the rich.

Support and best wishes those involved in the struggle for better wealth equality.

Forcefully removed yesterday. The footage I have seen was not pretty. Seemed very excessive for what was a peaceful protest.

shit aye, i wonder what occupy's gameplan for this expected development is.

They met again today in the city and marched which apparently went well considering the weather.

I wonder how its going to go tomorrow here in Perth with CHOGM happening; parts of the city are in total lockdown..

Not that any of this current crop of protesters need to worry about work.

Excuse me for speaking my mind but the "occupy" seems pretty irrelevant and pointless. What exactly do they want changed? Do they have a solution? It is all well crying poor but do they have a fixed idea as to how they expect the wealth of the world tO be redistributed? Australia is one of the most peaceful socially minded countries in the world, with access to education and more than basic healthcare for all. As much as the 1% earns the majority of money it is easy to forget they also pay the most tax. I would feel more sympathy if those protesting weren't also happy to receive government handouts for the days they choose to shutdown sections of our cities.

Sure some big wigs make easy money, but if you are happy to forgo morals there is no reason why anyone in Australia cannot become a 1 percenter. It is not like 300 yrs ago when you had to be born into the elite to have the opportunity to rule. Any school kid in Australia has the opportunity to study hard, become a lawyer, start at the bottom kissing arse in a corporate job and work their way to the top. If you want the trappings of wealth it takes effort. If you find this obscene and prefer a simple life there is nothing holding you back.

I find it hypocritical when they cry all they want is a home and $60 000 a year. On one hand you pour scorn on capitalism while also demanding a free cut of the pie. I'm sorry but in this country there is no such thing as real poverty. Sure there are people with more and ones with less, but there is also plenty of ways to improve your position. Low unemployment, cheap education, free healthcare, low crime. If you think it is bad here you really should get your head out of the sand and look at the rest of the world.

it's pay disparity as far a s i understand it. executive bonuses and mass layoffs cannot co-exist in a just society. then there's the political representation that comes only with wealth. as lucky as we are, we have a class system under the surface.

a recent obvious example was the attempted extortion of a north shore blondie with the use of a fake neckbomb. the feds chased the guy with an international search incorporating other law enforcement jurisdictions to catch the guy. yet she wasn't even hurt. the media coverage was arguably more traumatic than the event itself.
and on the other end, a blacktown girl could get stabbed repeatedly, have her uninsured house completey stripped of possessions, and she could even be raped and fucking impregnated, and all the cops would do is get any fingerprints they can find and put them on the database IN CASE they pop up again.

That's not a class thing, it's a pretty(ish) girl thing. The same media scrum existed with shappelle corby and she is definitely more trailer park than elite socialite.

I can almost see where they are coming from but to gather support they need to attract more than the grubby lefties that occupy has attracted. As soon as you start seeing rent a mob with a bandana across their faces you will never attract the struggling Bankstown mother of 5 to your cause. It is no coincidence that since their eviction by police the most they can whine about is their right to protest being eroded, not their actual message.

With chogm here this weekend we will not doubt see the the usual damage of high profile shop fronts by white middle class dudes with dreads. This has been standard for 10-15 yrs and I can't see any point to it. You don't attract any support by the true 98%.

What do they say about doing the same thing again and again for the same result?

in that regard i agree. they don't have the best of images over here.

oh on the collarbomb thing, yeah that's true about the [cough]media[/cough], i'm saying the class thing comes into play with the police response.

after my above post, i posted on the occupy syd fb page with the suggestion they make a point of the collarbomb situation, and my wallpost got deleted. fuck em.

Today is Daniel morcombe day. You can't tell me millions of police dollars weren't poured into finding his sorry corpse. I still don't see a class divide when it comes to law and order.

so, north shore attempted robbery = western suburbs child murder?

Today is Daniel morcombe day. You can't tell me millions of police dollars weren't poured into finding his sorry corpse. I still don't see a class divide when it comes to law and order.

Well you obviously have never had to use the services of legal aid when in front of the judge.

21 yo man on minimum wage cant afford to hire a lawyer so is reliant on legal aid.

21 yo man with rich parents can afford to hire a decent lawyer.

The courts favour the rich because they can afford to use the legal system where as the average person in the street cannot.