• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Obtaining Tylenol with codeine

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickSThompson

Greenlighter
So I've been researching this for a while and I cannot get a straight answer it seems, so I wanted to bring the question to this forum to see if I can get any true definitive answer.

A few months ago my in-laws when to Canada for a week for their anniversary and they brought back Tylenol with codeine and another product which is prescription only in the USA called Votaren. They said that while they were there my brother in-law was in a lot of pain from a back injury he suffered a while back which comes and goes for him. So they're friends in Canada gave them the Tylenol with codeine and this voltaren stuff. When they came back to the states with it they were explaining that apparently in Canada those products are available OTC, but you have to be careful bringing them back into the states.

I had no idea that you could get something with codeine in it OTC in Canada. Can you really just walk into a pharmacy and purchase it legally up there? Do you need to show them any proof that you're a Canadian resident, or do they just hand it over to you like anything else?

Yes, other countries have different laws than the U.S. Other countries have even better opiates than codeine OTC.

Bringing back a controlled substance is absolutely illegal though.

So then technically, I can cross the boarder into Canada, walk into a drug store and buy it no questions asked and use it there in Canada, but I cannot bring it back?

Yes. Although Canada may (that is a may, I'm pulling this out of my ass) have laws regarding abuse of OTC substances. That said, no one is going to hassle you as long as you dont try and bring it back over the border.

Hmmm, sounds kind of like they may have laws similar to the laws we have here in the US regarding the sale of Sudafed (show ID, maybe get an address recorded in a computer). I have a friend in Canada who told me that he just recently purchased some for a migraine he had (he's a computer scientist so I chalked it up to looking at a computer screen too often). He said he went in and had to show his health card before buying. Since I'm not a Canadian resident I was a little fearful I would be asked for some type of proof that I live in Canada if I go up there and ask for some from a drug store. Does this typically tend to be an issue?

Tylenol #1 is available in Canada: 8mg codeine,325mg tylenol, plus some amount of caffeine. Unless you're a chemist there really is no way to clean out the bullshit. After CWE the caffeine remains.. It's really not worth it

I love caffeine, so I don't mind that. It's the Acetaminophen I care about, and from what I understand the CWE will fix the ACAP issue.

If you have for instance 60mg of caffeine per pill, then by the time you reach an amount of codeine that works recreationally, you also have almost 2g of caffeine which I doubt you'll enjoy no matter how much you love drinking coffee.

Edit: Tylenol #1 contains 8mg of codeine phosphate and 15mg of caffeine per pill, so you actually end up taking ~280mg of caffeine along with 150mg of codeine which is still too much not to interfere with the codeine effects.

280mg of caffeine is far from an unacceptable amount, especially for a coffee drinker. If anything, it will add to the energizing effects, but you're right, it will interfere somewhat with the codeine high.

OK, so then I guess my next question is how much codeine do you need to reach the same effects of vicodin or percocet?

Yes. You can go to nearly any pharmacy and ask for it and essentially get as many of them as you want.

But be warned - they're garbage. You simply can't get high from them; you can perform a cold water extraction with as many as you want, but there will still be a shitload of caffeine in there which in my experience completely destroy whatever mild buzz the codeine may give you :(. Each pill has 15 mg of caffeine, so if you were to crush let's say 30 pills for 240 mg of codeine (normally enough for a decent buzz - at least as far as codeine can offer) that means you're also consuming 450 mg of caffeine - roughly 4 and a half cups of coffee worth of it. It just isn't worth it, and believe me I've tried.

There were many, many times where I was forced to abruptly withdraw from pills or H and of course I felt so sick that the idea of catching a codeine buzz was very appealing indeed. However, at the very most it may take away a tiny bit of withdrawal but add more discomfort and anxiety as a result. You're far, far better off using high-dose Imodium which can cross the blood brain barrier in tiny amounts, yet if you take enough it can take away essentially ALL withdrawal symptoms - even central ones. You would also be far better off buying bulk poppy seeds and making seed tea of of them, but be careful because each batch is different and if you manage to find unwashed seeds (likely from a local Asian market) it can be deadly potent.

EDIT - Just to clarify, the Imodium trick described above is meant for mitigating withdrawal only. It does succeed at that beautifully, but it will not get you high and you would be unwise to try. If you take enough, you may feel a dirty sort of half-opiate, half strange and foreign sort of feeling that I suppose you could call a crappy buzz if you were desperate, but nothing more no matter how many you take (which may be dangerous at that). If you want to get high by doing nothing more than going to the grocery store and have a good opiate not contaminated by caffeine or APAP, then poppy seed tea is your only option. If you have low tolerance though, it can be extremely surprisingly strong. At least you're better off doing that than a huge CWE which if done improperly can kill your liver.

Last edited:
Tylenol #1 is available in Canada: 8mg codeine,325mg tylenol, plus some amount of caffeine. Unless you're a chemist there really is no way to clean out the bullshit. After CWE the caffeine remains.. It's really not worth it

It's actually 300 mg APAP, not 325. People get confused about this because of 325 percs and other similar painkillers, but all the numbered Tylenol line have 300 mg.

Also, no, I have never heard anything about having to show your health card to buy T1, and I have bought thousands of them over the years in at least 2 different provinces. They are simply available for sale like anything else, so there is no reason whatsoever to show any sort of card. Be warned however - they are schedule 2 here, which means that they have to be sold directly by the pharmacist and are kept behind the counter. It is possible to get an asshole pharmacist who can get on his high horse and refuse to sell them to you if you look like you're hurting or some other stereotype. It's rare, but it's legal.

OK, so then I guess my next question is how much codeine do you need to reach the same effects of vicodin or percocet?

You can't. Sorry, I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but it's simply not possible. Even if you had pure codeine and didn't have to worry about the effects of caffeine, codeine is an inherently weak opiate, and simply can't activate the mu receptor like stronger ones like oxy or morphine can. You can get a pleasant buzz from a decent amount of it with little or no tolerance, but it's not like you can just buy an over the counter med, tinker with it using amateur chemistry, and suddently have something equivalent to oxy in any way shape or form. If you could, most of us here would be all over it lol and I guarantee it would no longer be legal OTC the way it is.

Interesting. I have a pretty low tolerance though, and typically drink about 4-5 cups of STRONG coffee a day. I'm a writer, so the caffeine really helps me stay on topic and stay focused. I noticed when I would take percocet or Vicodin with my usual morning through afternoon coffee regiment it still worked and gave me a good high, not too down, not too up.

That being said, I have had Tylenol 3's before, and yes they were weak but provided me with a nice buzz. So that being the case though, it sounds like you're telling me 240mg of codeine is about the same as taking two-three percocet at once. Is that the case?

EDIT: Ahhh OK I see. Interesting.

Interesting. I have a pretty low tolerance though, and typically drink about 4-5 cups of STRONG coffee a day. I'm a writer, so the caffeine really helps me stay on topic and stay focused. I noticed when I would take percocet or Vicodin with my usual morning through afternoon coffee regiment it still worked and gave me a good high, not too down, not too up.

That being said, I have had Tylenol 3's before, and yes they were weak but provided me with a nice buzz. So that being the case though, it sounds like you're telling me 240mg of codeine is about the same as taking two-three percocet at once. Is that the case?

Well everybody is different. If you find caffeine barely affects you, and that yiou can take large doses without feeling jittery or otherwise lousy, then it may well be worth it to do a good CWE with some T1's. If your tolerance is that low, you may get some semblance of a codeine buzz from that. In my experience it isn't worth it, but then again I did it after IVing large amounts of strong opiates, so you and I would not be in the same position regarding tolerance. Just be careful, make sure you don't take too much codeine as it is one of the few opiates that can be lethal even without causing respiratory depression (as little as 400 mg has been reported to have killed at least one person). But most importantly, you have to properly get rid of all that APAP. Depending on how many pills you use, it probably won't kill you if you accidentally took a few thousand mg of it just once, but it obviously isn't a great idea. There are some great guides for this on this site and elsewhere online.

Ya, believe me I wish you could get something similar to oxy by doing this...and you really can if you use seeds. If you're looking for an actual opiate high that's quite good/euphoric whiledoing the minimum amount of work possible and not risking your liver, go to a bulk food store or preferably a produce market, buy a pound or two of poppy seeds (the blacker they are, the better and especially if you can see specks of brown in them as those are pieces of the pod where all the good stuff is) and start off with about 300g of seeds. Mix these in a pop bottle or other sealable container with just enough water to cover them, and add a squirt or 2 of lemon juice. Shake this for about 10 minutes, and filter it by opening the top partway so that the water comes out but the seeds don't.

You will find you are left with a yellowish brown and bitter mixture. This will contain morphine and codeine - even if the seeds have been washed - if you use enough. The more bitter it is, the stronger it is so keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that it tastes like total shit, so have a chaser ready. I'm sure somebody here will back me up that you can get a better high with this than you can with a CWE of codeine laced with a bunch of caffeine. Again, you WILL get morphine in there - and with no contaminating caffeine or tylenol. It won't be as strong as pod tea is (which can be insanely powerful, not to mention addictive) but I was amazed how well it worked when I first tried it, and I naively used bottled seeds from Safeway on my first attempt. If you live in Canada or are visiting, Superstore has the best seeds from what I've tried and they're also cheapest. As a general rule, the more bulk seeds there are and the lower the price, the better they will be since they have likely underwent less washing.

EDIT - You can even use their packaged seeds (no name brand with the yellow packaging) if you can't find them in bulk. Any seeds work, and I have found that these packaged ones are about the same as the bulk ones. You see, common poppy seeds still come from Papaver somniferum which is the same plant used for opium. The pods are the structures that contain the good stuff, and the seeds are found inside the pods. Therefore, it is impossible to harvest seeds without getting a certain amount of opiate-containing residue on them. Even though these go through washing processes after harvesting, it's still very unlikely that this will remove all residue to the point where there is zero morphine present in the mixture. It would be prohibitively expensive for them and wholly unnecessary.

Last edited:
I see. Interesting. What would be a better bet then? Mexico, for perkies?

Last edited:
These 3 "tricks" are the only ways I know of to easily get high from doing nothing more than going to the grocery store (or relieve withdrawal). If you wanna find pills, that's gonna be harder to do and we can't discuss sources on here anyway. Besides, they will eat you alive...beware the opiate monster, as he can and WILL destroy your life if you get in too deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.