• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

NVidia Video card announcements

Cheshire_Kat

Moderator: PD
Staff member
Watching the NVidia product announcement for the new 3rd Gen RTX video cards.

Wow! up to 120 fps in Cyberpunk with ultra settings. It's gonna be expensive at first, but as this new generation of hardware filters down to end users it's absolutely going to change gaming in many ways.

I'm already geared up with the development software to create games for this and haven't been more excited for hardware since the original Voodoo card came out. Devs are going to have much easier times creating rich environments for games that devs are going to have to up their games with good game play. It's going to level the playing field so that indie games will be able to compete head to head with the "big boys" and create an environment for a "gaming revolution", which is just fine with me. It's a win/win for gamers although they might not see the results for a year or more as the games get developed.

So far the exact card models and cost are not announced, but I'm watching that part as I write this.

AMD has it's work cut out for it if it wants to stay competitive, and I use both manufacturers in my computers right now.

we have some 4090s now at work now. they're quite large. it's more than twice the size of any other 3-fan card.

120 FPS on Cyberpunk is with raytracing off. that seems like an intentionally a misleading statement, since raytracing performance is a big selling point and Cyberpunk has, confusingly, two Ultra presets - raytracing being the only difference between them.

rasterization performance is excellent, but it all comes down to price. $1600 USD is a lot of money for one component, especially now that the crypto mining boom has died down and there's now a glut of good GPUs on the market.

in the coming year, 4090 is likely to keep the crown for 144Hz 4k performance. that said, I think there are more options for quality 144Hz+ 2k, and my gut feeling is RDNA 2 will take the crown for overall sales.

Last time I checked they sold the modern GPUs for at least the double of the announced price tag, probably because of high demand for crypto mining (not BTC, I know for that you need specialized equipment but other coins). Is this still the case? Sucks.