• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Nitrous B12 neuropathy

awrt

Bluelighter
Hi guys,

I am a bit worried. Over the past month or so I have been hitting nitrous pretty hard on weekends - around 200 whippets per weekend for the past month or so. Prior to that I would only do it occasionally (maybe once a month) however would sometimes binge but not to the extent of the last month.

I today got tingling in my feet and hands which I know can be a symptoms of B12 deficiency. I have been taking B12 supplements regularly - in large amounts at times.

Have I done permanent damage? Really worried - going to see the doc this week to check my B12 levels

It's really difficult to make a diagnosis like that from a few sentences. Could you have done permanent damage? Sure. Did you do permanent damage? Probably not if you can stop and turn things around. This might not be entirely applicable to your situation, but in some instances of nerve damage, they can regrow at the rate of a couple mm per month. It just goes to show you that neuronal plasticity can be pretty amazing.
I'll let others weigh in, just remember that an internet diagnosis isn't much better than reading tea leaves. As far as anecdotal, there was a poster on here who had a friend that was exposed regularly to N2O through his work.

It caused quite a few problems that lasted a great while. Vitamin deficiencies being one of them and a large factor, but his damage took a couple years iirc. I'll look for the thread.

Dont know too much about the topic but can post my experience with nerve damage. Did a shit of and opioid and DPH, registered fine and seemed to go in ok, until my fingers became tingly and then completely numb. Fast forward a day later and my thumb, index, middle, and the left half of my ring finger (on my right hand though) were completely without feeling and I couldnt move them. I couldn't feel anything I touched and my digits were 100 percent immobilized. It felt like a shot of lidocaine in all of them. There was also the sensation of swelling but no visible signs of this. I would have to use a wall to inject because I couldnt press down on the plunger (this caused sooo many missed shots). Iver the next year and a half my digits regained feeling and mobility. Now they are back to normal. I guess I got lucky. Permanent nerve damage does happen, but from my experience and what I was reading during my time with it, most will heal over time, albeit slowly

Dont know too much about the topic but can post my experience with nerve damage. Did a shit of and opioid and DPH, registered fine and seemed to go in ok, until my fingers became tingly and then completely numb. Fast forward a day later and my thumb, index, middle, and the left half of my ring finger (on my right hand though) were completely without feeling and I couldnt move them. I couldn't feel anything I touched and my digits were 100 percent immobilized. It felt like a shot of lidocaine in all of them. There was also the sensation of swelling but no visible signs of this. I would have to use a wall to inject because I couldnt press down on the plunger (this caused sooo many missed shots). Iver the next year and a half my digits regained feeling and mobility. Now they are back to normal. I guess I got lucky. Permanent nerve damage does happen, but from my experience and what I was reading during my time with it, most will heal over time, albeit slowly

Did you have it checked? It rather sounds like a Nervus medianus problem, potentially carpal tunnel syndrome? Maybe you had an infection in there that resolved itself? It doesn't really sound like a drug-induced central nervous problem or some general process effecting the periphery due to its very localised extent. I suppose you could still extent your fingers, though (stretch them upward toward the back of your hand)?

At OP: No way to tell for sure, though at least unless you've seen your physician you should stop using nitrous, because the symptoms might fit (although they can be reversible and you're not yet presenting the more drastic end of the scale). To my understanding, B12 supplementation without cessation of nitrous isn't enough, since the nitrous is converting the B12 into a damaging metabolite, so it's not a sole issue of B12 defficiency (of which with normal a normal diet you should have enough reserves).

I could not move them at all, not up down or side to side for about 4 or 5 months. My guess was I somehow damaged my radial nerve from the injection I did in my median cubital. I suspect that the local anesthetic effect of the DPH had something to do with it as well.

I could not move them at all, not up down or side to side for about 4 or 5 months. My guess was I somehow damaged my radial nerve from the injection I did in my median cubital. I suspect that the local anesthetic effect of the DPH had something to do with it as well.

Hm, that's sort of weird, since for a total paralysis you'd need to have damaged both the median and radial nerve.

I could still feel the right side of my ring finger and had full motility of my pinky. That is what made me start delving into what I damaged and came to the conclusion that it was the radial. I saw a doc but he didnt really give a diagnosis (I didnt tell him what I did of course) and just gave me 3200mg/day of gabapentin that I took until feeling and mobility were coming back and I could open doors and write again.

Yeah, the pinky is ulnar innervation.
Well, the loss of sensation and inability to close your fist or move towards the palm with thumb, index and middle finger would point towards median nerve. Extension is (up, other direction) is radial.

Someone might of mentioned this but in case they didn't. Nitrous prevents your body from ABSORBING Vitamin B12 so taking Vitamin B12 Supplements when using the Nitrous at the same time is useless. Not sure how long after your last use you would need to wait for it to stop blocking the absorption of Vitamin B12 but if I had to guess it would not be that long at all considering it is a very short acting Drug that starts wearing off in effects the moment you exhale it, but if someone else with Nitrous Experience as I only just bought my Nitrous and Whip Cream Maker for use with other Drugs like on Shrooms for example. So I don't have any personal experiences personal Anecdotes I can tell you sorry.

This is my last Post I will be making as this place is full of horribly grumpy Withdrawing Addicted and clearly narcissists Moderators it seems but were all Human. I'm just going to assume the obvious that a lot of people are in Detox or in Chronic Pain and are miserable especially this time of the current way Scripts are being cut off and lowered I am one of those victims of these Doctors fucking up my life and it's a fucking shame I can't come here to Post for information and I can only READ and LOOK BUT NOT TOCUH!!

Last edited:
Yeah, the pinky is ulnar innervation.
Well, the loss of sensation and inability to close your fist or move towards the palm with thumb, index and middle finger would point towards median nerve. Extension is (up, other direction) is radial.

THANK YOU! I knew radial did not sound right! It's been a minute sense I have looked into this. On the money sir!

The bottom right pic is exactly where the loss of feeling and motor functions were present.

Someone might of mentioned this but in case they didn't. Nitrous prevents your body from ABSORBING Vitamin B12 so taking Vitamin B12 Supplements when using the Nitrous at the same time is useless. Not sure how long after your last use you would need to wait for it to stop blocking the absorption of Vitamin B12 but if I had to guess it would not be that long at all considering it is a very short acting Drug that starts wearing off in effects the moment you exhale it, but if someone else with Nitrous Experience as I only just bought my Nitrous and Whip Cream Maker for use with other Drugs like on Shrooms for example. So I don't have any personal experiences personal Anecdotes I can tell you sorry.

That's not correct. Absorption of B12 is not reduced, and you're not gonna evade potential toxicity by timing supplementation and nitrous consumption. The nitrous oxidizes the B12 already in your body thereby inactivating it.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0165614784904267 (this is quite old, didb't search long, but there are newer articles and some case studies as well that can be found via google).

THANK YOU! I knew radial did not sound right! It's been a minute sense I have looked into this. On the money sir!

Yep, pretty textbook symptoms :)
Did your fingers look like you were taking an oath? (Like index and middle finger always a bit extended)

It does sound like peripheral neuropathy caused by B12 deficiency. If you're already having symptoms, then it means the deficiency is deep.

I know people with MS who use B12 and methylfolate protocols to restore their nerves over time, but it's a long process and you have to be careful because taking both of these (and especially methylfolate) really drives the methylation cycle and can deplete the body of other things in such an upregulated state. If you only take B12 to try and fix the problem, it won't be enough because without the complimentary folate the cycle won't be driven. You can also try taking adenosyl-b12 because it's the form most used directly inside of the mitochondria. This in combination with methyl or hydroxo b12 seems to balance things out. Cyano-b12 is virtually worthless and I stopped taking it years ago.

The best thing you can do now is stop nitrous and give your body time to heal. I've had peripheral neuropathy before due to medications and it went away upon cessation of the meds. Only time can tell if it's permanent or not.

Yeah somewhat, an open hand with relaxed finger position. My pinky could move around freely and I found that very odd because I have never been able to move it without moving the others as well.

I'm hijacking the thread though so I am gonna stop talking about my issues. Let's help OP. Much appreciated though @Jack123456!

That's not correct. Absorption of B12 is not reduced, and you're not gonna evade potential toxicity by timing supplementation and nitrous consumption. The nitrous oxidizes the B12 already in your body thereby inactivating it.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0165614784904267 (this is quite old, didb't search long, but there are newer articles and some case studies as well that can be found via google).

Yep, pretty textbook symptoms :)
Did your fingers look like you were taking an oath? (Like index and middle finger always a bit extended)

Lol... close enough? whether it does not absorb or it is inactivated in your body once it absorbs is a moot point. It's about the fact that using B12 Supplements with it is not going to do much but I read about this Study a long time ago, don't you Agree with Me on that eh?

Lol... close enough? whether it does not absorb or it is inactivated in your body once it absorbs is a moot point. It's about the fact that using B12 Supplements with it is not going to do much but I read about this Study a long time ago.

It is a difference, since your post made it sound (at least to me) as if you could evade the problem by spacing intake of nitrous and supplementation.

I said I don't know if that is possible... I even added that I only just got N20 and don't got much experience with it and I tend to only Research Drugs before I use them/plan to. Thanks to your Post we now know you can't just space your Doses out by 24 Hours and take a B12 Supplement since he is only using on the Weekends which I only made an assumption that it might be possibility when not using it Daily Non-Stop but maybe you can answer this for the OP.

Did a little light reading. So besides the numbness/tingling are you having any other symptoms? This might help to determine the severity of the possible damage.

Dunno, in some other article I believe I read that after 3-4 days normal levels are regained. That would mean that even with only weekend use one potentially never fully has a longer phase of normal function.