View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Nitrous alone as psychedelic/hallucinogen

Renald

Bluelighter
Is it possible to achieve some psychedelic/hallucinogenic or k-hole like dissociative experience by nitrous usage only? I have a large tank of pure nitrous, containing about 10 kg of the stuff. Every session I inflate 20-30 liters into a large balloon and try to consume it in about 30 minutes. I have not trying to take a lungful of nitrous, only sipping it slowly over a long time. At this moment (I have consumed one such tank) I have still not achieved nothing more a slight dissociation, like on a very low dose of ketamine/MXE or 1st plateau DXM. Is it possible to achieve something more pronounced on nitrous only? Can it be duloxetine (Cymbalta, SNRI antidepressant) I am using now is preventing me from getting such an experience, or I just need to increase the concentration of consumed nitrous?
I calculated taking into account normal human physiology values, 5-8 liters/minute. This means I should use about 150-240 liters/hour, and 20-30 liters of nitrous is 10-20% concentration. This is a low concentration, but this is mean concentration, surely maximal values are much higher for short periods of time immediately after the inhalation.

Not sure what you're looking for, but I discovered last weekend that nitrous combines really well with poppers. As in, same level of deep as doing nitrous during LSD peak.

Yes, some of the most powerful experiences of my life have been through combining breathwork with nitrous. When I first joined this site I was exploring this combo. In fact, I joined this site to share this experience with an expert on nitrous use that was on the site. My username came from holing with nitrous and breathwork. Turns out there are many "vibronic" barriers you go through once you cross over into hole territory, each opening new dimensions. At the time it seemed like a revolutionary way to consume nitrous because it involved hyper oxygenation and didn't require much nitrous but did require a lot of discipline and work to get there. Because no other drugs were involved I remembered a lot more. By breathwork I mean holotropic breathwork or rebirthing or many other disciplines that involve consciously connected circular breath. That said, I don't do this anymore and am almost hesitant to talk about it. I'd get strong messages and doubts during these experiences of a cosmic nature. The gist was that the will to breath should not be confused by mixing it with drug use. It took me a lot of time after that to get back into breathwork again. Quitting nitrous meant quitting the breathwork at the time. Anyways, as someone who got good at taking experiences close to my limit, this is one of those combos I don't want to mess with. So yes, it's possible, but can't say I recommend it.

Edit: I never tried this with a tank. I held it in.

Last edited by a moderator:
William James was pretty impressed with nitrous. I've never found short-lasting drugs much use tho.

I've never experienced anything other than pixel vision and a weird sound effect, personally. Oh actually, there used to be a woman who would go to hand me something then suddenly bolt from view. Friends talk of a place called "nitrous world", with high esteem.

Different matter altogether with psychedelics obviously.

I have attempted to get a "hole" experience from nitrous when i was about to buy 5 balloons at a festival. I could i guess get close, the only way to explain it was it felt like i was inflating a balloon in my head with the balloon in my hand but i could never get it to pop. Basically it felt like i could get so disorientated i wouldnt really be able to comprehend doing more until that effect subsided a bit. I decided at the concentration from the tank and how it needs to be done i cant achieve anything higher then a brain dead stupor for a few seconds.

I can fall into nitrous land only from two whippets at once on the peak of an acid or 2c-e trip.
Goes REALLY well with music, like laying against the sub woofers at a music festival. Yeaaaaaaa

nitrous just seems very hedonistic to me. i haven't gotten to do any whippets on other hallucinogens yet but with weed, alcohol and kratom it just seems to induce an intense head rush that leads to strong dissociation and then a very sleepy state afterwards.

i think the nitrous experience is probably more worthwhile while tripping on hallucinogens so that's what i save it for now...

So. it looks I have almost no chances of achieving psychedelic state using the nitrous only? Or should I buy some oxygen and try to make a nitrous/oxygen mixture and try high concentrations?

So. it looks I have almost no chances of achieving psychedelic state using the nitrous only? Or should I buy some oxygen and try to make a nitrous/oxygen mixture and try high concentrations?

Unless you are able to continually administer fresh oxygen at the correct concentration through regulators from each tank connected to a mask you are at risk at falling unconscious and possibly suffocating yourself.
Even dentists and doctors with training in nitrous oxide anesthetic procedures can still fall victim to carelessness.
I would not advise it without training and certainly not without a sober friend present to help you in case a problem arises.

Unless you are able to continually administer fresh oxygen at the correct concentration through regulators from each tank connected to a mask you are at risk at falling unconscious and possibly suffocating yourself.
Even dentists and doctors with training in nitrous oxide anesthetic procedures can still fall victim to carelessness.
I would not advise it without training and certainly not without a sober friend present to help you in case a problem arises.

I would not try to do it via the face mask, only prefilling a balloon to a desired concentration and breathing from it . If something wrong happened and I felt unconscious, the balloon would fell and as I hope the breathing would automatically start. This was the aim of my several months old thread about is it possible to suffocate yourself by breathing from a balloon.

^i dunno over my head. I'm not a dentist. But, I say buy a box of whippets do 50 in a row and you'll have psycedlic experiences.

I have never done ketamine, but a k-hole sounds "psycedelic" to me. You know what I'm saying?

Nitrous also gives me that effect similar to acid where everything feels unfiltered, like my thoughts are super loud and everything is louder and all that.

Have you used DMT? Nitrous Oxide wasn't psycedlic for me until I smoked DMT. This is true.

Nitrous has a reverse tolerance. There's some sort of literature out there that either the inhaling or exhaling is where you get high from, which is where the in and out of a balloon comes into play.

But that means the more you do in a sitting the further out you get. Try inhaling and exhaling into a large balloon say (3 whippets worth,... 8 grams times 3?) for as long as you can. Start out like that, then keep doing more.

You'll have an OBE if you're fast with taking more and more in. Feels like DMT where you explode out the top of your head.