• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc (Nicotine) Withdrawal Unexpected Effects

HoldBack

Bluelighter
So when I was going to sleep a couple nights ago I would have a "hypnic jerk" every time I fell asleep and would be rocked back awake. This probably happened 15-20 times before I finally fell asleep.

I chalked it up to a side-effect of mixing marijuana (I don't smoke very much) and Methadone from MMT. However, I realized it is probably an effect of nicotine withdrawal (I chew lots of nicotine gum as its less expensive than cigs here in SF; I had run out and was waiting for more to be delivered from Amazon). Last night, with the nicotine back in my system, I fell asleep with no problem. I don't really notice any other kind of nicotine withdrawal symptoms when I am out.

Has anyone else has experienced this effect from nicotine withdrawal?
Anyone have any other unexpected effects from nicotine withdrawal?
Do you think it has to do with something else (methadone, marijuana etc.)?

Edit: only asking out of curiosity, not concerned regarding my health.

Last edited:
First I want to say that there really isn't anything anyone will be able to do/say that will tell you for sure what you experienced. Only educated guesses. If you are concerned about this happening again at some point I would ask a doctor what to do.

Other than that, I personally believe that it had more to do with the marijuana(you say you don't partake much) and/or the mixing of marijuana and methadone. Or maybe even a mix of those two things AS WELL as the nicotine withdrawal.

To me it's just a guessing game(there are too many factors) but hopefully you will get more answers from people with personal experience with the same thing you dealt with.
Good luck.
-JB-

^^^I second the above post, only thing I would add is that hypnogogic jerks are a regular side effect for me after I smoke weed and try to sleep shortly thereafter, not sure if that's a common experience but it's my two cents.

Nicotine withdrawal symptoms include problems sleeping ie usually insomnia.

I agree with the above posters that it's impossible to say BUT I did a search and apparently you are not the first person to complain of hypnic jerks while falling asleep during nicotine withdrawal. So yeah...

Maybe it's the nicotine withdrawal maybe it's the marijuana maybe it was both coupled with your regular methadone use.

I have noticed sleep paralysis before when I have lowered my alcohol consumption. This was when I was a regular drinker. Your jerks are likely the threshold of the full sleep paralysis experience. It can happen when you adjust your sleeping habits in any way.

I can attest that it is absolutely possible that it is due to nicotine withdrawal. I have attempted to quit smoking numerous times using the patch or gum and every time for a few nights after my last patch of gum, I experienced "hypnic jerks" for a decreasing period of time each night starting with a few hours of it on the first night. I don't smoke or and my alcohol usage was consistent during this time.

Did you know that nicotine is nicotine? I had no idea, i thought it was C10H14N2 but apparently not.