• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Nicotine while on Wellbutrin

F1n1shed

Bluelighter
I understand how wellbutrin can help you stop smoking. It makes cravings lower etc etc.

But let's say i'm on wellbutrin... will it actually block the affects of nicotine? Or will i still be able to catch a buzz while on the med. I haven't been so clear on this subject

IANAP, but from wikipedia I believe wellbutrin will decrease the effects of nicotine, as buproprion and its metabolites are antagonists of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors that nicotine acts on. As buproprion is a non-competitive antagonist, as best I understand it you will never be able to get the same degree of effect from nicotine while on the wellbutrin, though whether you will get no effect at all from nicotine or merely a reduced effect is beyond my level of knowledge.

IANAP, but from wikipedia I believe wellbutrin will decrease the effects of nicotine, as buproprion and its metabolites are antagonists of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors that nicotine acts on. As buproprion is a non-competitive antagonist, as best I understand it you will never be able to get the same degree of effect from nicotine while on the wellbutrin, though whether you will get no effect at all from nicotine or merely a reduced effect is beyond my level of knowledge.

Hm thanks for the response . Seems like it makes sense as i have read it is a antagonist of the same receptors nicotine acts upon. I'm not even on it to quit smoking honestly.. it's for depression. SSRi's barely help and i always feel tired, hopefully this will give me some perk..

In my experience, when I started on 150mg XR per diem, and especially after being upped to 300mg XR per diem, I quickly noticed that cigarettes started tasting off. Then bad. Even before they started tasting remarkably badly, I was only smoking a third to a half of a smoke at a time, even first one of the day and after meals or while drinking. I also had less cravings, and was prompted to light less cigarettes during the day by them.

It definitely had an effect on my response to nicotine.

Hm thanks for the response . Seems like it makes sense as i have read it is a antagonist of the same receptors nicotine acts upon. I'm not even on it to quit smoking honestly.. it's for depression. SSRi's barely help and i always feel tired, hopefully this will give me some perk..

Hope it works for you man, I've been lucky enough that SSRIs work for me but I know exactly what you mean about the tiredness. Probably part of what makes me like stims so much, being awake for once. Good luck with your treatment.

Would taking Wellbutrin induce premeditated nicotine withdrawal symptoms in a same way as subutex does for opiates?

Would taking Wellbutrin induce premeditated nicotine withdrawal symptoms in a same way as subutex does for opiates?

Not in my experience. I have often taken Wellbutrin for Bipolar depression is doses of up to 300mg's a day and never experienced any negative side effects while smoking Cigarettes on it. I did find that i smoked less and it does help the cravings but it won't help you quit smoking if you don't want to.

I've taken 200mg of Wellbutrin twice daily for over 4 years. I'll smoke occasionally now but it really does nothing for me. I was amazed the first week I went without being smokes after being a pack a day user for 5 years. To me, smoking while taking it has no effect. So why bother? It gives me an undercurrent of euphoria without any of the negative effects of ssris (sexual disfunction) too. Which is very pleasant. I highly recommend it.