• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

nicotine and alprazolam

Have you tried Zyban (bupropion) or Chantix?
i've tried bupropion in the past but not for nicotine help. it made me feel a little too stimulated so i got off of it. and i've heard of chantix and i may give it a try after i get off the suboxone. unfortunately both are expensive medications.

cigarettes are different though, the hydrocarbons from the cigarette smoke (not the nicotine!) induce the cytochrome enzymes 1A2 and 3A4, the latter being responsible for the breakdown of the alprazolam. inducing 3A4 will decrease the effect of the alprazolam and give you a lesser benzo buzz.

this is true but when i'm benzo'ed out its my favorite time to smoke cigarettes. never noticed any reduction in length or decrease in buzz.

it just feels so good to smoke when you can barely move lol.:p
but i smoke like a chimney on most drugs especially opiates, coke and def acid.

does this affect ALL benzoes or just those said above?the breaking down of IV midazolam?

I think any effect that nicotine would have on the effectiveness of a relaitvely powerful benzo (alprazolam)- would, in my opinion (having done it, repedidly) would be minimal. If you are not feeling xanax like you once did its due to ..........toldeance, not the nicotine. Tolerance builds in 2 weeks and is much more noticeable than any nicotine effect on the benzo.

I think any effect that nicotine would have on the effectiveness of a relaitvely powerful benzo (alprazolam)- would, in my opinion (having done it, repedidly) would be minimal. If you are not feeling xanax like you once did its due to ..........toldeance, not the nicotine. Tolerance builds in 2 weeks and is much more noticeable than any nicotine effect on the benzo.

It's not the nicotine which speeds up the metabolization - it is a byproduct of tobacco smoke which causes this.

Funny thing happened! I took some xanax earlier today, along with some methamphetamine.

Anyway i'm just blabing around on the internet, and i use chewing tobacco and haven't used any today, so i started chewing some (potent kind).

As the buzz came on, its like the xanax almost totally went away.. so i googled "xanax nicotine" and the first hit on google was this thread.. its like the nicotine (or something else in the tobacco) is kicking the alprazolam off some receptors temperarily... everything got really clear, and the meth really kicked in hard.

Well the only time i smoke cigarettes are when im fucked up as well which means benzo's and i have never noticed a difference. In fact i really enjoy the buzz of nicotine and xanax together, i have tried xanax by itself as well. I really don't think it kills much of the xanax off, maybe a tad. But for those of you that are scripted xanax daily, you should probably not smoke on it as you have a tolerance to benzo's and wouldn't want it to kill off your medication.

ya thats wack, i never knew that, i used to smoke on alpraz and i never got the effects i expected.

I don't smoke cigarettes at all so I don't have any personal experience IMO.

I would advise quitting tobacco if at all possible.

There is a big difference between tobacco and cigarettes.There is NOTHING wrong with pure,unaltered,organically grown tobacco.The nicotine myth has got to stop!!!!!
Our brains have nicotine receptors.The cancers which are caused by the tar are from the herbicides,pesticides and hundreds of additives that are PURPOSEFULLY put in cigarettes to harm humans.Nicotine is active ONLY in the BRAIN.This is why we see the cancers in the throat,stomach,mouth and lungs where the tars leach into.
Indigenous peoples in South America have been using tobacco for thousands of years in its native environment and there is virtually no recorded cases of cancers and the species they use has up to 2 or 3 times the nicotine levels we westerners and europeans use.To them,tobacco is 'medicine'.
I normally don't get too upset at all but I cant stand this constant harmful nicotine/tobacco propaganda.The division has to stop now!!!

What about Nicorette?

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I quit smoking and am using nicorette ( nicotine gum) for the time being just to help with the urges. Would that also decrease alprazolam effectiveness? I love taking xanax occasionally with my suboxone but I hadn't smoked a cig in afew days, just nicorette, then took a bar and smoked one and the xanax felt alot less strong. I don't know if thats just for now or what. I love my xanax but luckily have been able to keep the usage down to a minimum, by just taking what my sub doc gives me. Long story short I took a bar 3 days ago so I would expect that tolerance is lowered by now, so would it be the cigarette that makes me feel less faded? It was also taken on an empty stomach so food wasnt what made it weak.

it is def a possibility... happened to me with benzos the other day........

Hey ...i have been doing alot of research on this topic.....i have called numerous pharmacys and even my doctors office...and i also called phizer to see if chewing tobacco also has an effect on metbolism.....and you know what they all said..........they are not sure.....so my question to yall is how long should you wait after your last smoke or chew to take a xanax???

Hey ...i have been doing alot of research on this topic.....i have called numerous pharmacys and even my doctors office...and i also called phizer to see if chewing tobacco also has an effect on metbolism.....and you know what they all said..........they are not sure.....so my question to yall is how long should you wait after your last smoke or chew to take a xanax???

I was wondering the exact same thing.... Someone must know or be able to get a vague idea. All it would take is a bit of trial and error experimenting or w/e you want to call it lol.

Something that may or may not be relevant here but, sometimes when I smoke I get anxiety/panic attacks. I'll pop a xanax and then feel fine. There is, at least for me, some definite relation between what these two substances do.

I also chew tobacco and that never triggers the attacks, only smoking(usually after a number of cigarettes.)

this may say more about my individual chemistry, but there is something to this argument one way or another.

Ive a healthy tollerence to xanax and have smoked throught the whole time on it (one month off ciggys now) Its tricky coz thers definitly something there, but it never seemed to have decreased effects back when my tollerence was low, Ive gone onto an E-cig to try and combat this + avoid all the nastys of smoking, Its hard to tell the difference these days, but i gotta say that I bielieve the ciggys effected me but only after a year or so and built tollerence. Go fuigure.
Interested in the vape method with the E-cigs weather or not theres any chems in them cartriges that may be fucking with my xanax...(am perscribed this just to note n dont well actualy cant abuse it).

smokeless tobacco shouldn't effect the metabolism of the alprazolam, the additive effect of the nicotine agonization and the benzo together might give you a nicer buzz. cigarettes are different though, the hydrocarbons from the cigarette smoke (not the nicotine!) induce the cytochrome enzymes 1A2 and 3A4, the latter being responsible for the breakdown of the alprazolam. inducing 3A4 will decrease the effect of the alprazolam and give you a lesser benzo buzz.

hope this was helpful.

i agree and i can definitely tell from first hand experience that it does decrease the effects. (placebo?)

but how come i don't notice any lesser effect with opiates like oxy? oxy is metabolized through 3A4, but i feel like the ciggs make the high better...

Does Tobacco Reduce the Effects of Temazepam?

In general, tobacco does reduce the effects of benzodiazepines. I'm sure it applies just as well to temazepam. I don't use nicotine or tobacco whatsoever, so I don't have any personal experience to share.