• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News: [NZ] Ecstasy puts schoolgirls in hospital.

Verybuffed

Bluelighter
Another great news item from poledriver:

[NZ] Ecstasy puts schoolgirls in hospital

Six schoolgirls, the youngest only 13, were taken to hospital after taking tainted Ecstasy pills at school yesterday.

They were so aggressive that the hospital had to call security guards to control them.

The six students from Fairfield College in Hamilton, aged between 13 and 15, were taken to Waikato Hospital by their parents and school staff about 1.30pm after displaying symptoms of drug use.

A female student took the pink tablets to school and gave them to fellow pupils, who reacted badly after swallowing them.

The girls - three aged 13, two 14 and a 15-year-old - were taken to the emergency department by parents and accompanied by the school nurse and deputy principal.

A hospital spokeswoman last night said the girls were treated and discharged into the care of their parents.

She said that although the hospital could not "speak highly enough" of the care and decision-making of Fairfield College staff, the students "did present some issues for us in the emergency department when we were already very busy".

She would not comment further on the girls' behaviour, but said the hospital had to call its security team.

The chairman of Fairfield College's board of trustees, Jonas Hapuku, said the matter had been handed to police, but the school's senior leadership team would meet today to work out the next steps.

The girls would not return to school until their future was discussed at that meeting.

Mr Hapuku said that while the girls were at the hospital, they had an extreme reaction to the drugs and became very aggressive.

The reaction of the Fairfield students is similar to an incident in which "Red Rocket" pills landed six people in hospital in one weekend in September.

Staff at Middlemore Hospital were shocked by the violent seizures and hallucinations.

They said the users were aggressive and some required sedation - behaviour not usually consistent with Ecstasy.

Police who last week busted an alleged criminal syndicate selling thousands of pills each week spoke about the risks in taking Ecstasy or similar drugs - mixed compounds which could be fatal.

The Red Rockets were sold by the alleged syndicate. Others were called Yellow Rockets, Blue Choppers, Green Rolling Stones, Supermans and Pink Lips.

"Those who've been manufacturing such pills have modified the molecular structure of various compounds and, by so doing, created dangerous substances that have been sold as Ecstasy," said Detective Inspector Bruce Good.

"Some of the product we've seized has been made alongside rat poison."

Mr Good said the alleged drug syndicate imported the raw materials, and each week in Auckland was pressing tens of thousands of tablets, which sold for at least $40 each.

It was estimated the syndicate produced between 80 and 90 per cent of New Zealand's Ecstasy over several years.

But Mr Good said manufacturers were "tweaking" the molecular structure of the pills.

"You cannot ignore the dangers. If someone puts an Ecstasy tablet in your mouth, you don't know where it's come from, who's made it, the structure of it and what effect it might have.

"These people are tweaking the structure on a very regular basis. My advice to anyone putting Ecstasy in their mouth: don't."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10767817

Do we know what the ingredients of these products are?

Also in the 60 minutes story last week you could clearly see the pills were in packages containing 4 pills for the price this news article says one sells for.

There is no longer any investigative journalism from the PRESStitutes..

People believe it no matter what. ;-)

Oh shit, so these girls took MDMA huh? You stupid fucks. You stupid fucking media sensationalist scaremongering irresponsible fucks. Id be willing to bet the bank accounts of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates that it was not "ecstasy".

Ok ok ok, I know, before anyone freaks out, Im aware 'ecstasy' is just the catch-all term for mystery pill these days. Sadly not just in the media and among the uneducated but also out there in "the scene".

Oh shit, so these girls took MDMA huh? You stupid fucks. You stupid fucking media sensationalist scaremongering irresponsible fucks. Id be willing to bet the bank accounts of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates that it was not "ecstasy".

Ok ok ok, I know, before anyone freaks out, Im aware 'ecstasy' is just the catch-all term for mystery pill these days. Sadly not just in the media and among the uneducated but also out there in "the scene".

They were the NZ Matt Bowden/Starboy products as featured on 60 minutes last week:

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8372949

EDIT: I got confused on this one and was completely wrong. Check out drug_mentor's post #7

Last edited:
Why is this man not in prison? .. seems he is being rewarded for his antics.

Would anyone have a problem with someone informing police - in a nightclub situation - of someone selling dangerous pills?

Or is the consensus you take the risk or something buying on the black market? ..

Or would they take action themselves.

Interested to read responses...

They were the NZ Matt Bowden/Starboy products as featured on 60 minutes last week:

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8372949

Really? That isn't what I got from the article at all, it says in the article the pills were sold by a criminal syndicate, not a head shop. I seem to recall reading in the mega busts thread in the last couple days about that alleged syndicate pressing 'red rockets' and 'green rolling stones' and iirc they were pessing RC's (I think 2Cx) into 'ecstasy' tablets.

Sorry for the double post but I just checked the megabusts thread and it does seem as though I was correct in thinking these are illicitly manufactured pills. Here is the article;
[NZ] Drug users relieved after 'dangerous' pills removed
Drug users have welcomed a massive Ecstasy bust, saying the pills on the streets were dangerous.

In a press conference this week, police displayed bags of thousands of pills which are known on the street as red rockets, yellow rockets, blue choppers, green rolling stones and pink lips.

Officer in charge of the 12-month Operation Ark, Detective Inspector Bruce Good, said the "sophisticated" syndicate was producing red rockets that caused users to suffer seizures and hallucinations.

Good said some of the pills were being produced at a factory which also manufactured rat poison.

It was estimated the syndicate was responsible for producing between 80 and 90 per cent of the country's Ecstasy over several years.

Users on the forum tripme.co.nz said the pills did not appear to contain MDMA - the main ingredient in Ecstasy - but chemicals from a family of hallucinogenics called 2C.

"Them b******s pressing 2CX into street pills is what doomed everything.

"We were living a pill-friendly, take-it-or-leave-it type of country for quite a while before people ended up in hospitals, tripping balls, wondering why they aren't feeling strimmed or chatty," one wrote.

University of Otago student Andy told the Herald on Sunday the seized pills were a hallucinogenic or "trippy" type, different from traditional Ecstasy.

He said they cost $60 each in Dunedin. "I started uni in 2009 and they were around then, but seem to have become more available over the three years spent here," he said.

The new pills were more similar to LSD. "They start by altering your visual perceptions, making things look strange, such as patterns starting to move," he said.

"However, other effects start in which can be very intense. Social situations can suddenly become scary and the user may start talking gibberish, situations become confusing and they may become scared because they cannot control themselves tripping out."

He found the experience terrifying. "Things slowly come back to being manageable about four or five hours after tripping, and sleep is difficult until the next night," he said.

Drug experts warn the bust could spark a price rise and more-toxic pills flooding the streets.

Ross Bell, executive director of the New Zealand Drug Foundation, said there could be "a lot of opportunists trying to cash in on what they might see as a big gap in the market". Massey University drug researcher Dr Chris Wilkins said Ecstasy users might pay more for their pills in the future.

"When supply becomes tight there are usually two ways in which dealers respond. The price goes up and they start cutting their products with other stuff, so the potency and quality goes down," he said.

"But the recent arrests could prove to be a circuit-breaker in the supply of Ecstasy and some users may take the opportunity to give it up."

link

Originally posted in this thread by poledriver.

Really? That isn't what I got from the article at all, it says in the article the pills were sold by a criminal syndicate, not a head shop. I seem to recall reading in the mega busts thread in the last couple days about that alleged syndicate pressing 'red rockets' and 'green rolling stones' and iirc they were pessing RC's (I think 2Cx) into 'ecstasy' tablets.

You were right. For some reason I thought they were the other product. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll edit my post.

^ All good man, its not a big deal you just made me question my own interpretation of it, and after I saw a another person draw the same conclusions you did I thought it couldn't hurt to post the other article just so it is a little clearer what happened. :)

Thanks again mate. I was wondering why people suddenly started having such pronounced effects, (i.e police called), from these pills if they were the Starboy range. I was thinking that maybe he got stitched up after the ACA interview.

Ecstasy.... schoolgirls... normally those two words make me very happy. ;)

I wanna know what 2C is keeping them awake until the next night. That doesn't sound right either.

[NZ] Classmate: Party pills stolen from home

[NZ] Classmate: Party pills stolen from home

SCCZEN_221111SPLPILL1_460x230.JPG

Students were offered the pills at morning break. Photo / Supplied

The pink party pills which landed six Fairfield College students in Waikato Hospital's emergency department were taken from a student's home, according to classmates.

A Year 11 student told the Herald she had been at class yesterday morning and had been told one of the younger girls had stolen the 16 pills from home.

Another student told the Waikato Times the student who brought them to school said she had taken them from her father's stash.

Asked if police were looking into claims that the pills had been stolen from an adult or parent, Waikato Police city area commander Inspector Rob Lindsay said: "Until we've interviewed all the people concerned we really can't comment.

"We are investigating a line of inquiry. I'm not saying another [line of inquiry] won't come out but from what we've been told we are just following a line at this stage."

Mr Lindsay said police were hoping to have the substance in the pills analysed by ESR in the next two days, but would not know if any offence had been committed until they knew what the substance was.

When the six teens arrived at Waikato Hospital's busy emergency department at 1.30pm on Monday they were abusive, aggressive and trying to make jokes and staff took 20 minutes trying to prise them out of the school van.

They were discharged at 5pm.

Waikato Hospital emergency physician Dr Tonia Nicholson said the girls were extremely lucky as the outcome could have been much worse.

It is understood that urine and blood tests were taken from the girls so Waikato Hospital could determine what class of drug it was.

Fairfield College board of trustees chairman Jonas Hapuku would not comment on whether the pills were stolen from a parent and instead sent the Herald a short written statement which said it would be premature to comment given that the incident was under investigation.

Seven students were taken to hospital but only six had taken the pills. Five others tasted them but then spat them out.

Police spent yesterday interviewing the students involved, parents, teachers at the school and medical staff and were in the early stages of the investigation as they tried to find out where the pills came from.

The interviews are likely to take three days.

A Year 9 student told the Herald he had seen the small pink pills - which have been said to look like smokers' lollies - being offered to students at the morning break on Monday.

The boy said other students had been told the small pink pills were lollies.

A special half-hour assembly was held for Year 9 and 10 students yesterday as the older students are on exam leave. Fairfield College acting principal Gerhard van Dyk said the students taken to hospital had been discharged, and he highlighted the danger of taking unknown substances. The girls were not at school yesterday.

Students were sent home with a newsletter to parents to inform them of the incident.

A spokesman for the Minister of Education, Anne Tolley, said she had asked for a full report on events and on Fairfield College's board.​

here

At least they did say this...

They said the users were aggressive and some required sedation - behaviour not usually consistent with Ecstasy.

I actually think this article is slightly better than the norm as they've alluded to the fact it's not ecstasy, and that it's the mixed, unknown compounds that are the danger.

"Some of the product we've seized has been made alongside rat poison."

This is dumb though, what does that even mean? That it was sitting next to it? In the batch? How about telling everyone that a lot of people willingly take rat poison - warfarin is a medically prescribed drug.

I think they were cooking and dealing in rat poison as well as fake ecstasy :p Rat poison is bike business.

Girls' pills checked for drug-ring link

Girls' pills checked for drug-ring link

Drug squad detectives are investigating any link between pills which put six Hamilton girls in hospital and an alleged criminal syndicate in Auckland which made tens of thousands of designer drug tablets each week.

The Fairfield College pupils, as young as 13, swallowed the pink pills at school, which led them to react aggressively when admitted to Waikato Hospital's emergency department.

Health professionals believe the abusive behaviour - inconsistent with Ecstasy use - was caused by man-made chemicals such as mephedrone mixed into Ecstasy tablets.

And mephedrone is among the chemicals allegedly mixed into tens of thousands of pills each week by a drug ring busted by police last week.

Detective Inspector Bruce Good, head of the Auckland metro drug squad, confirmed he had contacted police colleagues in the Waikato after the schoolgirl scare on Monday.

Once ESR tests on the Fairfield college pills were complete, Mr Good said the results would be compared with the tablets seized in the 12-month Operation Ark which led to 21 arrests and $14 million of assets being frozen last week.

"My team are going through the mountain of stuff we have. Once ESR has completed the report [in Hamilton], we'll ... see if any links exist."

When announcing the Operation Ark arrests 10 days ago, Mr Good said the alleged syndicate was responsible for 80 to 90 per cent of the Ecstasy market in New Zealand.

But Mr Good said manufacturers were "tweaking" the molecular structure of the pills, which contained Class-C drugs like mephedrone, as well as the usual MDMA found in Ecstasy.

"Those who've been manufacturing such pills have modified the molecular structure of various compounds and, by so doing, created dangerous substances that have been sold as Ecstasy.

"You cannot ignore the dangers. If someone puts an Ecstasy tablet in your mouth, you don't know where it's come from, the structure of it and what effect it might have.

"These people are tweaking the structure on a very regular basis. My advice to anyone putting Ecstasy in their mouth: don't."

The reaction of the Fairfield students is similar to an incident in which "Red Rocket" pills landed six people in hospital in one weekend in September. Staff at Middlemore Hospital were shocked by the violent seizures and hallucinations.

National Poisons Centre toxicologist Dr Leo Schep said there had been a number of calls from health professionals asking about the drugs.

Dr Schep said that in rare cases people overseas had died after taking mephedrone.​

here