• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: News.com.au - 15/06/09 'Drink spiking all in your head - study'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew

Drink spiking all in your head - study
By Danny Rose
AAP
June 15, 2009 04:27pm

SUSPECTED victims of drink spiking are more likely to be suffering from drugs and alcohol they have willingly consumed, according to Australian research.

Of 100 suspected drink-spiking cases reviewed in a West Australian study, none were found to involve being slipped a sedative or illicit drug.

What emerged instead was a concerning picture of excess alcohol and illegal drug use by people - usually young women - at the centre of these drink-spiking claims.

"The public's perception that it's a guy putting a sedative drug into a woman's drink, at a pub or a club, we just didn't find that at all," Dr Mark Little, a clinical toxicologist at the Royal Perth Hospital, said.

"As a community, we have a bigger problem with illicit drug use and alcohol binge drinking than we do with drink spiking."

The study took in 101 people who were taken to two Perth hospitals as suspected victims of drink spiking over 19 months.

Almost 90 per cent were female, and a majority of these were aged 25 or younger.

About 70 per cent of the cases involved an alleged drink spiking at a nightclub or hotel, usually in the four hours straddling midnight and over a weekend.

Dr Little said tests showed these people had an average blood alcohol level of .096 on arrival at hospital - almost double the legal limit for driving.

More than a quarter (28 per cent) had illicit drugs, mainly amphetamines and cannabis, in their system, which they admitted taking.

"We did not identify a single case where a sedative drug was likely to have been illegally placed in a drink," Dr Little said.

He added there were five cases in which a person's stated alcohol intake substantially did not match their blood alcohol level.

These were possibly cases in which soft drinks were unknowingly topped up with alcohol, or alcoholic drinks made extra strong.

"It's more the case of the girl who likes vodka and orange, let's give her a double, a triple (shot of vodka)," Dr Little said.

"We also found nearly all people were unconcerned with the amount of alcohol they had drank.
"When we said the average dose was about eight standard drinks ... they weren't concerned about that at all."

When confronted with their test results, Dr Little said 35 per cent of the study participants continued to believe they had been spiked.

He concludes real cases of drink spiking involving sedating or illicit drugs are "rare", and "if drink spiking is going to occur, it will probably involve alcohol".

The study was conducted in the emergency departments of Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital and Joondalup Health Campus in Perth.

Dr Little's research is published in the journal Emergency Medicine Australasia.

News.com.au

^^

some of that sounds right ..

people take too much booze and drugs and use that as an excuse for what ever bad happened to them when no one spiked their drink it was just their own stupidity ..

but still keep an eye on your drink ...

Nothing new here, I've always believed the whole 'drink spiking' thing to be complete BS, nice to have a study to back that up.

Haha id put my drink on every table for it to be spiked with sum mdma hahaha

Pfft unlikely it will happen.

wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to find out that 99% of 'my drink was spiked!!' stories turn out to be just the person having drunk too much or whatever.

that's not to say spiking doesn't happen tho, one of my friend's drinks was spiked once. she was strictly anti drugs and didn't drink that much, was at a club and asked her friends to watch her drink (her first one of the night) when she went to the bathroom. they said they had kept an eye on it but obviously not very well cos a little while later she called me absolutely freaking out. saying she 'was losing control of her body' and the walls looked like they were melting. i ended up staying the night at hers trying to calm her down, and she was absolutely freaked, saying figures were jumping out of the wall and shit. still no idea what it would have been..

so yeah, despite the fact it probably occurs 100 times less then most girls would have you believe, still a good idea to keep an eye on your drink..

It genuinely happened to a friend of mine too and it sucks big time.

The problem is that people immediately assume that anyone they know that does drugs, or the person that does the most drugs that they know of, are automatically responsible.

I'm not surprised by this.
I think most of the drink spiking claims are by girls who can't accept responsibility for getting more wasted that they can handle.
But I wish someone would spike my drink with ketamine :(

Theres no logical explanation behind spiking. I mean the "most" spiking happens with GBL. Now if someone has spiked a drink with that then wouldnt one notice the taste? I sure would and anyone else. Ever tried putting speed in a drink? It will all fuzz up and come out. MDMA wont completley dissolve as it would taste like munchin on sand. I dont know what they spike it with unless its pure LSD liquid or something which is very unlikely.

DOC dissolves quite nicely in a drink and is a nice method of consumption.
However I wouldn't want to spike or be spiked with that.

i dont want to taste the alchohol, i just want to blame it later...:p

fucken women and their candy water, they can down them like no tomorrow but an hour later they are out till tomorrow

Yeh it's a sad lack of responsibility or accountability. That said, I'd hate to actually have an incident of drink spiked. I've always assumed spiking was with strong sedatives, benzos etc like rohypnol? Or.....

iocane powder! =D

492893373a5971ffb94n.jpg

Yeh it's a sad lack of responsibility or accountability. That said, I'd hate to actually have an incident of drink spiked. I've always assumed spiking was with strong sedatives, benzos etc like rohypnol? Or.....

iocane powder! =D

492893373a5971ffb94n.jpg

i wudnt mind being spiked, just hope its only clonazepam or lorazepam or something like that. they wud need a fair few pills to get me even sleepy

my female friend did this, took a dodgy pipes pill and got extremely sick from it. told her mum she thought her drink might of been spiked. good to see she is helping males out by giving them a bad name. thank god I wasnt out with her that night or her mum might of thought I did it.

I want someone to spike my drink with 200mg of nice pure crystallized MDMA. Pretty please?

Feel free to spike my drink with some coke or speed, i dont mid at all, oh, and if you leave a few tabs beside it, or shove them in my gob, who am I to complain.

Most of this drink spiking stuff is utter crap, have been on a night out with 4 female friends (these were separate cases) who have claimed their drinks were spiked, when in actual fact, i saw them drink more than me (I drink a lot of piss, normally 8 or so beers before the club) and get drunker and drunker, and when they made a mistake, or puked. " ZOMG mai drink wuz spikeds!"

Bitch please

I'm in the same boat, every time I've heard of a friend having their 'drink spiked', I've never believed it, in fact it seems to always happen to the same people (you know, the ones who have mixed all sorts of drugs and alcohol that night already...)

Didn't they already do a study proving this a while ago? These findings didn't surprise me in the least when I read them back then and they still don't. People need to take more responsibility for their actions when wasted instead of claiming to be spiked, these findings show some pretty disturbing trends.

I wonder how many blokes have been sent off to jail for "date rape" when the chick they fucked just drank too much?