Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Fatal drug overdose from adulterated pills - PMMA

Mr Blonde

Bluelighter
A man has fatally overdosed on a lethal hallucinogenic drug purporting to be ecstasy, which goes by the street name "death".

It is the first fatality from the drug in more than 10 years in Perth, and has police concerned ahead of the Australia Day party season.

It is understood the 25-year-old man took pills containing PMMA, a highly dangerous drug that is synthetically manufactured at a cheaper cost than ecstasy. He was found dead on New Year's Day.

Advertisement: Story continues below
The last known fatality in Perth from PMMA was in 1999, police said.

Users of the drug are at a higher risk of overdose because it has a slow effect on the body initially.

The gradual high can prompt users to take higher doses of the potent drug because they mistake it for a weak batch of ecstasy.

Combining high doses of the drug together with other drugs, alcohol, or caffeine also increases the chance of overdose.

Those who have ingested PMMA can suffer breathing difficulties, nausea, vomiting, muscle spasms, and increased blood pressure and temperature.

Symptoms of overdose include high body temperatures, sometimes resulting in convulsions, coma and a complete shutdown of the organs of the body.

There have been a number of reported deaths in North America, Canada, Australia and Europe in the past, with the drug becoming popular in the '70s and enjoying a revival in the '90s.

In a WAtoday.com.au special investigation, West Australian police previously warned that the state's drug culture had changed for the worse, with more synthetically-altered drugs hitting the streets under the guise of ecstasy pills.

Link.

PMMA is pretty rare. The wikipedia article claims Shulgin first synthesized it, but his entry for it in PiHKAL states that it is a 'well studied drug', with the research prompted by it's clandestine synthesis.

Thanks for posting this. You beat me to it!

PMMA is incredibly rare - I'd like to see the toxicology results.

Yeh - was thinking that too marley. Sad that heresay and misinformation like this even makes it through the editors office let alone into national news. It's this kind of bullshit that makes people make dangerous drug taking decisions.

^^^
would be nice if the cops could do a bit of investigating and let the community know what logo was on the pills so we could avoid. Does anyone know what PMMA would show up with if tested?

If the name of the pill is found out put it up straight away and Private Message me so I can put a warning on Pillreports.com

So is it purported to be ecstasy or is it known as death?

PMA is the death drug, but they do possess similar properties.

From Wiki:
PMMA reputedly produces similar effects to PMA, but is apparently slightly more similar to MDMA in effects[1][2] and has slightly less tendency to produce severe hyperthermia, at least at low doses. At higher doses however the side effects and danger of death are just as severe as those of PMA itself.[3]

PMMA is a lesser-known psychedelic drug. It is the 4-methoxy analog of methamphetamine. PMMA was probably first synthesized by Alexander Shulgin. In his book PiHKAL (Phenethylamines i Have Known And Loved), the minimum dosage is listed as 100 mg, and the duration unknown. Shulgin reported that methyl-MA produces an increase in blood pressure and in heart rate, but causes no psychoactive effects, however user reports following the subsequent appearance of this drug on the illicit market as an analogue of "Ecstasy" (MDMA) suggest that PMMA does produce some empathogenic effects. Very little data exists about the pharmacological properties, metabolism, and toxicity of PMMA, and given the known toxicity of the related compound PMA it is likely to have considerable potential to cause harmful side effects or overdose which can be fatal

This is so annoying! How can they claim they are trying to warn/protect people without telling us the logo?!

para-Methoxymethamphetamine

PMMA reputedly produces similar effects to PMA, but is apparently slightly more similar to MDMA in effects[1][2] and has slightly less tendency to produce severe hyperthermia, at least at low doses. At higher doses however the side effects and danger of death are just as severe as those of PMA itself.[3]

PMMA is a lesser-known psychedelic drug. It is the 4-methoxy analog of methamphetamine. PMMA was probably first synthesized by Alexander Shulgin. In his book PiHKAL (Phenethylamines i Have Known And Loved), the minimum dosage is listed as 100 mg, and the duration unknown. Shulgin reported that methyl-MA produces an increase in blood pressure and in heart rate, but causes no psychoactive effects, however user reports following the subsequent appearance of this drug on the illicit market as an analogue of "Ecstasy" (MDMA) suggest that PMMA does produce some empathogenic effects. Very little data exists about the pharmacological properties, metabolism, and toxicity of PMMA, and given the known toxicity of the related compound PMA it is likely to have considerable potential to cause harmful side effects or overdose which can be fatal.[4]
[edit] See also

* para-Methoxyamphetamine (PMA)
* 2-Methoxymethamphetamine (Methoxyphenamine)
* 3-Methoxymethamphetamine (MMMA)
* 4-Fluoromethamphetamine (4-FMA)
* 4-Methylmethamphetamine (4-MMA)
* 4-Methoxymethcathinone (bk-PMMA)

This is so annoying! How can they claim they are trying to warn/protect people without telling us the logo?!

Yeah and a bit misleading to have that pic of a pill on the news story.

article-pill-420x0.jpg

People might think they should only be avoiding pills that look like that.

^ yeh that is a pretty irresponsible image to use as far as I'm concerned. Ecstacy pills simply do not look anything like that and as poledriver stated it could cause some confusion as it in no way helps people to identify the actual PMMA pills. You'd think if the investigators truly valued the lives of the children out there popping pills they'd release a statement with the actual details of the press. They have done so in the past with suspected PMA pills from memory right?

I highly doubt they're going by a street name of "death" either 8)

Thanks for posting the article Mr Blonde.

(thread title changed to include "PMMA")

Last edited:
I live in Southern California, and I've heard rumors of "raver-hating punks" who manufacture black pills called "Punishers" - which supposedly contain battery acid and will drop almost anyone who takes it, if not just being sent to the ER.
I'm not sure how legitamite this claim is, though. I've never seen or heard anything like this in real life.. at a rave or anywhere else.

Related article - http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...-drug-on-streets-of-perth-20110120-19xwp.html

Concerns Dr Death drug on streets of Perth
Police are concerned a dangerous drug nicknamed Dr Death, which looks like ecstasy but has far more severe side-effects, is being distributed in Perth.

Police are issuing a strong warning about para-methoxymethamphetemine (PMMA) after a 25-year-old man was found dead at his home in Innaloo, in Perth's north, on January 1 after attending a rave party on New Year's Eve.

The man died from a suspected drug overdose and among the drugs found in his system was PMMA, police said.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Chemistry Centre WA senior chemist Bianca Stevens said PMMA sometimes produced similar effects to ecstasy but took longer to affect the drug-user, which could encourage the user to take larger quantities to gain an effect.

Ms Stevens said the drug increased the risk of the drug-user's body over-heating, causing seizures and the body organs could shut down, resulting in death.

"We don't know what the pills look like," she said.

Coronial Inquiries Detective Senior Sergeant Neville Beard said the only way to prevent death was to not consume any drugs.

"Drugs are dangerous. They will kill you, so don't take them," he said.

Det Snr Sgt Beard said the man who died on New Year's Day, whose name has not been released, may have consumed the drug thinking it was ecstasy.

He said toxicology results were yet to determine if PMMA killed the man but said it was among the drugs found in his system.

Serious and Organised Crime Detective Superintendent Charlie Carver said users were playing Russian roulette with their lives when they took illicit drugs.

"This is a sad waste of life," he said.

Det Supt Carver said despite a shortage of key ingredients needed to make ecstasy, drug-makers and dealers were using substitute ingredients and selling them as ecstasy.

"They will pass anything off to make a buck," he said.

Anyone who may have consumed a drug with unusual side-effects or has any relevant information should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Also LOL @
Anyone who may have consumed a drug with unusual side-effects or has any relevant information should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

<3 Self incrimination

Why is everyone assuming this is a pill?

you can still buy pmma on the internet with a quick a google search:p

Wow....the police must be getting desperate.

ARE YOU SCARED PERTHVILLIANS? THERE IS A DEADLY DRUG KILLING ALL YOUR TEENS, YOU SHOULD BE SCARED!!!